• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus's impact on the worldwide box office
3 3

572 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2021 at 3:10 PM, Bosco685 said:

Never saw your review of the movie posted. Or did I miss it?

hm

You had to have seen it to have built up so much dislike for a film. Otherwise, this would come across mentally unhealthy.

:popcorn:

you got the thread shut down :roflmao:. pop your head out of your fiefdom and you might find it. already posted, 5/10- it stank

On 8/29/2021 at 7:21 PM, paperheart said:

you got the thread shut down :roflmao:. pop your head out of your fiefdom and you might find it. already posted, 5/10- it stank

Uh-huh. :roflmao:

You mean all the post you escalate to the mods telling them I make political statements or control threads I start? Sorry sport. Someone spilled the beans on your tricks.

:baiting:

I'm looking forward to Free Guy as well. If Fast 9, which was hard to watch 10 minutes of, grossed over $700 million worldwide, I'm not sure why they expect Shang Chi to be a disappointment. I expect it to gross at least that much. 

Edited by Flanders82

On 8/29/2021 at 5:54 PM, Flanders82 said:

I'm looking forward to Free Guy as well. If Fast 9, which was hard to watch 10 minutes of, grossed over $700 million worldwide, I'm not sure why they expect Shang Chi to be a disappointment. I expect it to gross at least that much. 

what I think is that in general the fans of the Marvel Universe are frustrated that we didn't get "flagship" characters to start like we did with the first run (we started with Iron-Man). Disney should do the same with this new run but didn't. I am worried about Shang-Chi.

On 8/29/2021 at 4:54 PM, Flanders82 said:

F9 did $200+ million in China, Shang-Chi has no release date in China (and likely won't get one)

On 8/29/2021 at 5:45 PM, paperheart said:

F9 did $200+ million in China, Shang-Chi has no release date in China (and likely won't get one)

Well that explains the expected flop, thanks for mentioning that.  I'll have to look up why it's not being released in China. 

Paramount is pushing back two Tom Cruise tentpoles as concerns over the coronavirus pandemic and the delta variant continue to roil theater attendance.

Top Gun: Maverick is departing its Nov. 19 date and will now open May 27, 2022. Meanwhile, Mission: Impossible 7 is leaving that May 27, 2022 date and will now open Sept. 30, 2022. The studio has also pushed back person_too_unaware_of_social_graces Forever, which moves to Feb. 4, 2022, departing an Oct. 22, 2021 date.

Mission: Impossible – Fallout filmmaker Christopher McQuarrie returns to direct the seventh and eighth installments of the franchise, while Joseph Kosinski helms Maverick, which last week showed off its first 13 minutes at CinemaCon.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:54 PM, paperheart said:

thru Aug, Sept will be down 50%ish vs 2019. so $2.4BB going into q4; even if only down 25% vs 2019, looking at $4.5BB for 2020

image.thumb.png.9123859016caf1aa2e8603e3d9d12fab.png

We of course have no idea how the end of the year will go but it doesn't look good since studios are pushing most everything back until 2022.  2020 was of course a much worse year then 2021 in terms of ticket sales (especially since the lock downs kicked in March) but it's looking like we will only see a 35% increase between 2020 & 2021 which isn't that much.  2022 will be a really telling year in terms of the long term viability of the movie theater industry since having everybody at home for 2 years has to have an impact on spending and habits.

Global box office this year overtook 2020’s COVID-stricken total of $12 billion at the end of August. It is now forecast to reach $20.2 billion in 2021, according to analysis firm Gower Street Analytics.

The good news is that would represent a 68% rebound compared with last year. The bad news is the total would still be 52% below the $42.3 billion record set in 2019 and less than half of the $41.9 billion average in the three pre-pandemic years (2017-19).

Gower Street forecasts that by the end of the year the international total will reach $9.1 billion, comprising $4.3 billion from Europe, the Middle East and Africa, $3.85 billion from Asia Pacific (ex-China), and $900 million from Latin America. The company forecasts that China will finish the year at $6.6 billion and North America $4.5 billion.

If those forecasts hold good, China will be the world’s largest box office market for the second successive year and bigger than all European territories combined.

When the studio gets rich on a box office hit, exhibition shares in that and there was certainly a downpour of cash for the latter thanks to the $90M pandemic domestic opening record of Sony’s Venom: Let There Be Carnage, and also the $119M launch of MGM/UAR/Universal’s No Time to Die. 

The No. 1 circuit in the world, AMC Entertainment, announced this morning that they posted a new post-reopening record for weekend attendance as well as new post-opening records for ticket admission revenues and concessions thanks to both films.

Between Thursday Sept. 30 and Sunday Oct. 3, 2.4 million-plus people watched movies at U.S. AMC multiplexes while 1.4M took in movies at AMC overseas for a total of 3.9M WW, a new post-reopening attendance record for the circuit.

Could we be reaching that magical point of turnaround?