• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus's impact on the worldwide box office
3 3

572 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2021 at 8:57 AM, Buzzetta said:

And let's not forget the sites that stream the movies for free.  With early access people are simply recording them off of Disney+ and other streaming VOD sites using basic screen recording software.

Which is kind of how I am watching a perfect copy of Black Widow right now as I type(shrug)

neverdothat.gif.e3c9ec0fa82f7500ad113ad80d3be0ff.gif

:baiting:

On 8/10/2021 at 9:01 AM, Bosco685 said:

neverdothat.gif.e3c9ec0fa82f7500ad113ad80d3be0ff.gif

:baiting:

I liked it.   It could have been a 4-5 episode miniseries on Disney+ though. 

I have a feeling I might be saying that a lot moving forward to be honest about quite a few MCU films. 

On 8/10/2021 at 10:13 AM, Buzzetta said:

I liked it.   It could have been a 4-5 episode miniseries on Disney+ though. 

I have a feeling I might be saying that a lot moving forward to be honest about quite a few MCU films. 

I thought it was weakly pieced together and mistimed. To each their own. But I agree, a streaming show approach could have allowed more time to pull this story together stronger.

:tink:

On 8/10/2021 at 10:36 AM, Bosco685 said:

I thought it was weakly pieced together and mistimed. To each their own. But I agree, a streaming show approach could have allowed more time to pull this story together stronger.

:tink:

I liked it.  I'm not running out and getting a dog to name it after one the characters liked it.

I liked The Suicide Squad more though.

I also finally sat down and watched the Lincoln Lawyer the other day... I liked that more than both of these lol 

On 8/10/2021 at 8:01 AM, Bosco685 said:
  On 8/10/2021 at 7:57 AM, Buzzetta said:

And let's not forget the sites that stream the movies for free.  With early access people are simply recording them off of Disney+ and other streaming VOD sites using basic screen recording software.

Which is kind of how I am watching a perfect copy of Black Widow right now as I type

Auto-Pirate.gif.d8e7a62d91da3710b81346cc0b500656.gif

On 8/10/2021 at 2:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

'Auto Pirate'

:applause:

Jungle Cruise was better than Black Widow and Suicide Squad.  I saw that this morning. I had the same smiles watching that as I did when I saw the first Pirates of the Caribbean.  I am hoping for a sequel and if they do that route I hope it lives up to the same charm and sense of adventure.

I need to get back to Fast 9 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/11/2021 at 3:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

Jungle Cruise was better than Black Widow and Suicide Squad.  I saw that this morning. I had the same smiles watching that as I did when I saw the first Pirates of the Caribbean.  I am hoping for a sequel and if they do that route I hope it lives up to the same charm and sense of adventure.

I need to get back to Fast 9 

That's it! You set the stage for this weekend. Time to watch Jungle Cruise.

:banana:

On 8/11/2021 at 3:21 PM, Bosco685 said:

That's it! You set the stage for this weekend. Time to watch Jungle Cruise.

:banana:

I think you will really like it.   There were even a couple of things that I didn't see coming.   I genuinely liked it. 

On 8/11/2021 at 3:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

I think you will really like it.   There were even a couple of things that I didn't see coming.   I genuinely liked it. 

I own Pirates 1-5, Indiana Jones 1-3 (keep forgetting about 4), The African Queen, The Man Who Would Be King, The Wind and the Lion, and Apocalypse Now. All the movies the director says inspired him.

So it will be fun to see how all those influences came together.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:28 PM, Bosco685 said:

I own Pirates 1-5, Indiana Jones 1-3 (keep forgetting about 4), The African Queen, The Man Who Would Be King, The Wind and the Lion, and Apocalypse Now. All the movies the director says inspired him.

So it will be fun to see how all those influences came together.

It will also remind you of the Mummy with Brendan Fraiser 

I think the greatest missed opportunity this season was Lego not pursuing their option to develop sets for this line.  Lego already has the Disney license so this would have been a no brainer as they already did Adventurer style sets years ago. 

Cineworld Group, the major theatrical chain that has 759 sites around the world including the Regal cinemas in the U.S., reported tough financials today after six months of pandemic-induced closures.

The company saw overall revenue slide from $712.4M in H1, 2020 to $292.8M in 2021. The numbers come off the back of admissions dropping from 47.5M to 14.1M in the same period, following shutdowns across both its U.S. and European sites that were widespread from January to April/May this year.

Wait. I have it on good authority here movies are back completely.

The first DC Films title from Warner Bros. to hit theaters since the “Wonder Woman” sequel’s release at the end of 2020, “The Suicide Squad” grossed below expectations and failed to elevate the box office over the August 6 weekend as Disney’s “Black Widow” did on July 9.

Like “Black Widow,” “Suicide Squad” was available to stream upon release, but unlike Marvel’s return, the DC film bowed amid heightened concerns regarding the Delta variant of COVID-19. After reaching a high of 55% the first week of July, public sentiment toward going to these movies has fallen back below 50% among adults, per Morning Consult survey data.

Still, the optimism of the summer box office uptick was idealistic to begin with.

Ultimately, such hybrid releases have done more heavy lifting for exhibitors than those with “Only In Theaters” emblazoned across their posters, precisely because the lack of alternate revenue streams via the likes of Premier Access charges on Disney+ or boosts in respective SVOD subscriptions has kept studios reluctant to maintain their pre-pandemic outputs.

As of Labor Day, the only studio that will have matched its wide-release output from 2019 is Warner Bros., having pledged the entirety of its 2021 slate to its sister streamer.

2021releases.PNG.9a3a345e09b5231883ad3160d8a54a55.PNG

Disney has the second highest output of wide hybrid releases this year, but it has avoided releasing 20th Century films in 2021 prior to Friday’s “Free Guy” debut, which is Disney’s first theatrical exclusive this year, soon to be followed by “Shang-Chi” from Marvel on September 3.

Premier Access revenue on Disney+ has certainly been lucrative for Disney. After granting “Black Widow” an additional $60 million, Premier Access nabbed $30 million for “Jungle Cruise,” nearly as much as that film’s opening gross.

On the contrary, Warner Bros.’ HBO Max commitment resulted in steep losses potentially reaching $1 billion, due in part to compensating talent for back-end gross agreements, a problem that Disney is contentiously taking on following a lawsuit from “Black Widow” star Scarlett Johansson.

However that plays out, the worsening COVID situation is already bringing back 2020 headaches, as Sony on Thursday postponed its “Venom” sequel slated for September 24 to October 15 and is also mulling a sale of its fourth “Hotel Transylvania” film to a streamer.

Disney may have a new film franchise on its hands after “Free Guy” beat box office expectations. For theater owners, however, the victory comes at a time when moviegoing remains severely hindered by the pandemic.

“Free Guy,” a sci-fi comedy adventure that takes place within a video game, collected $28.4 million at 4,165 North American theaters over the weekend. Overseas, “Free Guy” earned another $22.5 million for a global tally of $51 million. Heading into the weekend, even bullish projections thought a start above $20 million at the domestic box office could be a stretch because the delta variant of COVID-19 has shaken consumer confidence in going to the cinema. Plus, the Disney and 20th Century film is an original property, meaning there isn’t a built-in fanbase to reliably show up on opening weekend.

Shawn Robbins, the chief analyst at Box Office Pro, believes the star power behind Reynolds fueled the stronger-than-expected turnout.

“Ryan Reynolds has shot into the stratosphere because of ‘Deadpool,'” Robbins says. “In ‘Detective Pikachu,’ his voice was a big part of that movie’s success. That was a good bridge into ‘Free Guy,’ especially with video game fans.”

In the case of “Free Guy,” Jeff Bock, an industry analyst with Exhibitor Relations, believes the exclusive 45-day theatrical window added a few million dollars more in box office revenues. However, he doesn’t believe that’s the sole reason for its robust turnout.

“Ryan Reynolds is a draw in the right vehicle,” Bock says. “It was a lighthearted summer movie that was made for general audiences, unlike ‘The Suicide Squad.'”

Only 13 revenue-sharing U.S. studio titles have been released in the country so far in 2021, down from the 22 titles that were released by the end of July in 2019.

Chinese films have reaped record earnings at their country’s theatrical box office in 2021, but Hollywood ticket revenue in the Middle Kingdom remains mostly in the doldrums. Now, an outbreak of the delta variant, rampant piracy and unpredictable political challenges are clouding the picture for the U.S. film industry’s hopes for an end-of-year comeback in China, which has emerged from the pandemic as the world’s largest theatrical marketplace by far.  

Chinese-language films not only have recovered from the darkest days of the pandemic, when taken in aggregate, they are performing better than ever before. Local titles, led by huge hits like Beijing Culture’s Hi, Mom ($822.1 million) and Bona Film Group’s Chinese Doctors ($197 million), collectively earned $3.9 billion at China’s box office from Jan. 1-July 31, considerably better than the pre-pandemic benchmark years of 2018 and 2019, when sales for the same period totaled $3.8 billion and $2.9 billion, respectively, according to data collected by consultancy Artisan Gateway. 

On 8/29/2021 at 6:07 PM, paperheart said:

if shorting stocks in real life were this easy i wouldn't have retired; thanks James Gunn for making a movie that nearly no one wanted to see

image.thumb.png.89759198cf2835299b949b800a6dd0c9.png

Never saw your review of the movie posted. Or did I miss it?

hm

You had to have seen it to have built up so much dislike for a film. Otherwise, this would come across mentally unhealthy.

:popcorn:

On 8/29/2021 at 5:10 PM, Bosco685 said:

Never saw your review of the movie posted. Or did I miss it?

hm

You had to have seen it to have built up so much dislike for a film. Otherwise, this would come across mentally unhealthy.

:popcorn:

Mentally unhealthy adults on a comic book message board?

It can't be true!

tick2disguise.jpg.5d856cadb128a591c93ed25a35a2d54c.jpg