• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Detective27kid,

On your Tec #31 at the bottom of the front cover is there a little piece missing? The reason I ask is because my copy has an almost identical flaw in the same spot. Any info on what caused it would be great.

-CW

So what does that make me? Detective Jr. kid?

hello all...

how about detective31kid smile.gif

rick

Haha, I like that, but I think that there should only be one person who has the Detective kid thing in their name.. Im fine with Dark_knight even if there is also another dark knight here.. I'll post a scan of my 31 as soon as I get it smile.gif

You picked the #31 at a great price considering what the 5.5 Crippen copy went for this summer in the Heritage auction. 893applaud-thumb.gif Not worth the $4,000 premium if you ask me.

The Crippen premiums on Tec #31 and #35 were a bit crazy.

Detective #31 CGC 5.5 $17327

Detective #33 CGC 4.0 $7767

Detective #35 CGC 5.5 $17925

Detective27kid,

On your Tec #31 at the bottom of the front cover is there a little piece missing? The reason I ask is because my copy has an almost identical flaw in the same spot. Any info on what caused it would be great.

-CW

hello all...

no piece missing from the bottom right cover, but there is a small triangular color fleck missing...the paper is still there, kind of like scraping icing off a cake...

rick

Thanks for the info.

You picked the #31 at a great price considering what the 5.5 Crippen copy went for this summer in the Heritage auction. 893applaud-thumb.gif Not worth the $4,000 premium if you ask me.

Never noticed these auction results before.

Now, that's some really aggressive pricing on the 'Tec #31 and especially on the 'Tec #35. I guess this goes to show it's really all about the covers.

Let's see, now that works out to 2X condition guide for the 'Tec #31 and a whooping 6X plus condition guide for the 'Tec #35. Looks like issue #35 has really picked up steam lately with some pretty eye-opening sales. 893whatthe.gif

It should be noted that these types of multiples are generally reserved for HG copies. To me, when you see these same types of multiples cascading down to the mid or lower grades is a sign of real strength and a indication that a particular book is truly really undervalued in the guide. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This factor should not be underplayed because the majority of all books cannot support any type of multiple as it moves down through the condition scale. Must be related to our current focus on cover images as I remember other similar results such as More Fun #56 and Target Comics #7 from a couple of years ago.

Never noticed these auction results before.

Now, that's some really aggressive pricing on the 'Tec #31 and especially on the 'Tec #35. I guess this goes to show it's really all about the covers.

Let's see, now that works out to 2X condition guide for the 'Tec #31 and a whooping 6X plus condition guide for the 'Tec #35. Looks like issue #35 has really picked up steam lately with some pretty eye-opening sales. 893whatthe.gif

It should be noted that these types of multiples are generally reserved for HG copies. To me, when you see these same types of multiples cascading down to the mid or lower grades is a sign of real strength and a indication that a particular book is truly really undervalued in the guide. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This factor should not be underplayed because the majority of all books cannot support any type of multiple as it moves down through the condition scale. Must be related to our current focus on cover images as I remember other similar results such as More Fun #56 and Target Comics #7 from a couple of years ago.

You are right on the money Lou. Covers have driven the price up for years. The guide typically is very slow, if ever, to correct itself for these books. These Batman cover Pre-Robin Tecs have been over guide for a long time.

Suspense #3 was then poster child for this phenomena, but the guide did catch up on that one.

You are right on the money Lou. Covers have driven the price up for years. The guide typically is very slow, if ever, to correct itself for these books. These Batman cover Pre-Robin Tecs have been over guide for a long time.

Suspense #3 was then poster child for this phenomena, but the guide did catch up on that one.

Yes, with the first real driver in the general marketplace for covers being the Gerber Photojournal Guides back in the very early 90's. From my point of view, still the most significant one-time publication in the comic book collecting hobby. With CGC now, it's also all about the covers as you really can't see anything beyond the covers.

Yes, also remember the cover of Suspense #3 being the frontispiece for the first edition of the Photojournal Guide.

Yes, with the first real driver in the general marketplace for covers being the Gerber Photojournal Guides back in the very early 90's. From my point of view, still the most significant one-time publication in the comic book collecting hobby. With CGC now, it's also all about the covers as you really can't see anything beyond the covers.

Yes, also remember the cover of Suspense #3 being the frontispiece for the first edition of the Photojournal Guide.

You betcha! thumbsup2.gif

I keep my photojournals in my study within arms reach at all times.

Me, as well. As I sit here right now at my computer, my Photojournals are within reach on my right, and my Overstreet is within reach on my left.

Now I just need one of those small fridges at my feet.

Hey! The small fridge idea is a good one! I am going to home depot tomorrow!

Me, Photojournals on the left, Overstreet in the middle, scanner on the right.

Just got this in today. Horrible spine roll, half the spine split, cover loose, centerfold loose at top staple and 5 hole punches at the top. But there's no tape, no ink markings, no pieces missing and no restoration.

My first pre Robin Detective and I really enjoyed the blood, death, and gore in the Batman story. Plus Batman gets clocked by a regular thug. Sweet stuff.

tec37.jpg

Just got this in today. Horrible spine roll, half the spine split, cover loose, centerfold loose at top staple and 5 hole punches at the top. But there's no tape, no ink markings, no pieces missing and no restoration.

My first pre Robin Detective and I really enjoyed the blood, death, and gore in the Batman story. Plus Batman gets clocked by a regular thug. Sweet stuff.

tec37.jpg

Mine is worse than that. It has already been posted so If you'd like to see a scan please PM me. But, here's a description. The cover is split completely down the spine which has been taped. It used to have the wrong back cover, but I picked up the one from Metro that had no front cover. I carefully peeled the tape from both back covers and attached it to the old tape of the other copy. I only put tape over old tape to hold it together. The book will be sent to Matt early next year, so I thought attaching tape to tape isn'ta big deal. The first warp is detatched from the body of the book. It's a beater, but these pre-Robin Detectives are really hard to find.

It is a great Batman story.

The ebay auction here described the book with "paper damage to two pages of the Batman story " so I was worried that pieces were missing. It was just two tears going into the panels which I can more than deal with.

DK, if the panel art had been missing I was going to ask if there would be a way to join the better cover with the better more complete interior. I like the marriage aspect to create a complete book out of two lower grades. The second page shown is as bad as it gets and this interior matches the covers flaws.

Well enough of my story. Here's the splash and back page ad - I see a Flash 7 but couldn't id the others. I like the Ultraman (pre Green Lantern) for All American.

Here's the bloody panel page as well. I think Robin would have fainted if he'd been around.

tec37b.jpg

tec37d.jpg

tec37c.jpg

Edited by ft88

After #31, it's probably my favorite pre-Robin issue. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great opening splash with the first real Batmobile-looking car. Plus some neat early Batman inventions like night-vision goggles. 27_laughing.gif I like the part where he gets thrown into the river in a burlap bag and has to cut his way out. And in the end, the villain Count Grutt gets hoisted on his own petard. Great stuff.

The ebay auction here described the book with "paper damage to two pages of the Batman story " so I was worried that pieces were missing. It was just two tears going into the panels which I can more than deal with.

DK, if the panel art had been missing I was going to ask if there would be a way to join the better cover with the better more complete interior. I like the marriage aspect to create a complete book out of two lower grades. The second page shown is as bad as it gets and this interior matches the covers flaws.

Well enough of my story. Here's the splash and back page ad - I see a Flash 7 but couldn't id the others. I like the Ultraman (pre Green Lantern) for All American.

Here's the bloody panel page as well. I think Robin would have fainted if he'd been around.

tec37b.jpg

tec37d.jpg

tec37c.jpg

Initially Robin wasn't as big a wus as he became. Read Tec 38 - 40 and you will see that there was still some lingering grit to the stories. Short lived though.

In the opening sequence of Tec 39 a chauffeur gets a hatchet buried in his forehead, Tec 38 Robin kicks a guy off the high steel of a skyscaper to his death, then takes a picture of another bad guy being tossed to his death by the main baddie.

Good times.

Detective27kid,

-CW

chips out of edges of GA books were often caused by the way street vendors displayed magazines in the 30s and 40s. They had clip holders all along the kiosk and would line the entire thing with comics held in those clips. When they would take down the display copy it would often be damaged in that spot.

If you look at newsstand kiosks today you';ll see some of them still doing this but usually not with comics.