• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

They are nice books (thumbs u although I don't see 'em as JM's "best work"....other than being an unusual character and rarely seen, they're as mundane as a lot of his covers. Haven't seen the insides so I can't speak for that.

Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite artist....on my part it's a; narrow collecting focus as well as a possible closed mind. :o

With a closed mind and shallow thought lol , here's what I think ranks up there :

wgf22dr7.jpg

ww413bu.jpg

tgw5rh1.jpg

rk16ib7.jpg

qtw158ic.jpg

ms45lq.jpg

of49ou.jpg

ms45lq.jpg

All really great Maneely covers, I wonder why they chose not to make this a full cover image? I do like the side illos. but think a full cover would've looked sweet!

Edit: After checking the covers on GCD I see that was the style for this run! :blush:

Edited by Jayman

They are nice books (thumbs u although I don't see 'em as JM's "best work"....other than being an unusual character and rarely seen, they're as mundane as a lot of his covers. Haven't seen the insides so I can't speak for that.

Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite artist....on my part it's a; narrow collecting focus as well as a possible closed mind. :o

With a closed mind and shallow thought lol , here's what I think ranks up there :

ms45lq.jpg

Hi takin'shots: It's hard to say what is JM "best" work!!! hm

His War stuff was pretty spectacular too!!!

In defense of Black Knight, the "covers" are NOT a good representation of the inside artwork. I think the inner art is better than the covers, and as you mentioned, because it was a different genre this might have added to this appreciation too!!! But you should check one out!!! Try a reprint from Fantasy Masterpieces or Marvel Super-heroes!!!

Out of the great covers you scanned, that Matt Slade to me is awesome!!!! :headbang:

JM was one of the best artists to come out of Marvel/Atlas and it's a shame that he didn't live long enough to draw during the Marvel Superhero explosion of the early 60's!!!

Nice scans!!!

Agreed, one of my many faults; not exploring other genre.

Again you're correct, I know his war books are just as attractive. I purposely don't spend time reading/viewing all the threads but I have seen a number of his covers. Very nice, enough so that I'd throw down some coin if I continued lookin'. Gotta force myself to turn away. lol

I'll keep my eye out for the reprints....Tks

Forgot this one;

rk14tg0.jpg

ww413bu.jpg

Awesome Atlas westerns. The cover to that Wild Western 41 is amazing.

That's a great issue. RQ Sale has a place in the comic kingdom all to himself. His run on Combat Casey was :cloud9:.

This should probably be a post all by itself, but I just can't wait. I'm soooo excited about this book. There's a local quarterly show down here that never has anything of much note. I usually walk out with something just for the effort of going. Today, I found the #1 Atlas book on my list. There was another book I reeeeaaally wanted, but not at 6X guide (!) (not an Atlas book). I think this is one of the top 3-5 Heath covers, and I've never seen a decent copy.

53652-battle38a.jpg.b5fdc2fb02c34e48b97240842c08dab5.jpg

I also finished out a trade for this book. A friend of mine just happened across this. No interest on his part. It was a CGC 8.5 W with no other notation. He didn't have it halfway out of the box when I said, "That's a Salida, I want it." When I opened the slab, it was like a pressure release of Salida smell. Tears welled up in my eyes, the book cried, my scanner said "Ay, carumba!".......

53654-battle14salidaa.jpg.64402f2b23662fb3b6139c07a79e7886.jpg

The slide from 'super-hero' to horror is clearly evident in this great cover where Astonishing 3 picks up from Marvel Boy 2. Both in title and content, it was clear where things were heading in 1951....

jon

oh and throw in #4 for good measure....."science fiction", my tushy....jb

53657-astonishing3.jpg.97cd9757d0a77c2f92195f4eb21bbbd3.jpg

53658-Astonishing4.jpg.69fa390aecf05a7c45a7944831330726.jpg

Edited by jbcomicbox

Jon I never get tired of seeing the cover of YM#24, just has classic written all over it. I actually just flipped through a mexican/spanish reprint of it yesterday that oddly enough was printed in 1962 when the SA of Marvel was still in its infant stages.

Jon I never get tired of seeing the cover of YM#24, just has classic written all over it. I actually just flipped through a mexican/spanish reprint of it yesterday that oddly enough was printed in 1962 when the SA of Marvel was still in its infant stages.

Definitely, a key book, especially with some of the re-worked origins....jb

This is terrible cover, but it is a Bethlehem copy (pedigrees :cloud9:):

MysteryTales41.jpg

I like it. :sorry:

All your books are awfully darn fresh! :applause: