• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

Beautiful examples of Everett work!

AST063-WM.jpg

:bump:

I got a couple of Atlas Westerns from Transplant last week. In a way, Westerns are the last Atlas frontier (at least on these boards) and there's probably some gold in them thar hills. I grabbed the books primarily for the Texas Kid and picked up the others just because they were available and also had Maneely covers. I'm glad I did!

First, the Texas Kid # 10 - Marvel's first picture frame cover? ;) An effective cover in any case -

57717-TexasKid10.jpg

Then a couple of Two-Gun Kids, one pre-code, one post-code but in Westerns it seems that it doesn't make that much of a difference.

First up is # 16 -

57731-Two-GunKid16.jpg

In this issue, we find some "early" work by Jack Keller. Every time I see some early '50's Keller work, I'm reminded of how much less effort he put in the '60's and on. I guess drawing essentially the same story month after month does take its toll. In this story, he doesn't rely on close-ups as much as he will later do and there is significant background as well. This proves him a much more capable artist than he is remembered to be -

57723-TwoGunKid16Story3s.jpg

and then there's a couple of stories by Chuck Miller whose work I was thoroughly unfamiliar with but have found to be exciting and a departure from others of the time. First, here in # 16, a dramatic splash and an unusual representation of the hero at bottom left -

57724-TwoGunKid16Story4s.jpg

What makes Miller attractive is his ability to convey movement and excitement / furor in his use of perspective, lines and also composition. Here are a few panels from that same story where he uses all 3 effects mentioned above. I particularly like the bottom left panel -

57725-TwoGunKid16Story4Panels.jpg

In issue # 26, we're treated to 3 Miller stories, whose work has improved quite a bit over the short 10 months span, all with a full page splash :banana: behind this Maneely cover -

57718-TwoGunKid26.jpg

Here's the first story Miller splash: a full on frontal attack -

57726-TwoGunKid26Story1s.jpg

Later in the story, the fight is reprising in glorious cinematic manner, a great use of the medium here -

57727-TwoGunKid26Story1Panels.jpg

The second story splash is also very attractive in its realisation -

57728-TwoGunKid26Story2s.jpg

In the final page of that story, we're treated to more good depiction of movement, esp. the top panel across. The composition is all over the place and makes the sequence less effective but each panel holds up on its own -

57729-TwoGunKid26Story2Panels.jpg

And finally after a Ayers story, the final splash page, with yet another runaway stagecoach -

57730-TwoGunKid26Story4s.jpg

Did I mention I enjoyed receiving Transplant's package? :grin:

Jann's are always cool! :applause:

Jann11.jpg

These four are from the Toronto Collection:

Jann 11 - OW

Two-Gun Kid 32 - OWW

Western Kid 3 - OWW

Western Kid 10 - OWW

I specifically don't buy books with cream in the page description.

Mike