• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

#3 is probably my favorite of all the Superman books, with #4 a close second.

4 is my favorite. Back in the late seventies local dealer Ron Oser had that book in VG in his showcase for around 400 bucks(higher than Overstreet's price). Boy, did I want that book!

That brings back memories. Drooling over a book at the LCS out of your budget...just dreaming... :cloud9:

Awesome Supes 4!!!

Thanks guys. :grin: I hope to find a Supes #3 to pair with my #4, but it will probably be quite a while before I save up enough to make a run at one.

Good luck! The good news is, #3s seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately...there are five (!) copies on ebay right now.

Years back, it took me ages to find an affordable copy, and there were entire years where I didn't see a single copy up for sale. #3 is probably my favorite of all the Superman books, with #4 a close second.

I couldn't agree more! :headbang:

Here's my latest pickup acquired in a partial cash/trade deal. I mostly collect Action Comics and didn't own any Superman books until now...

Sup4.jpg

I imagine that you probably already know this, but Superman #4 is technically the true first appearence of Lex Luthor as it hit the stands on February 15, 1940; just days before Action Comics #23 was released on February 22, 1940.

I think the Lex Luthor aspect seems to get overlooked in this issue as many appreciate it mostly for the classic cover and the fact that it's a very early issue of the series.

Beautiful pick-up!

actually, action 23 was available the first week of Feb, and the supes 4 the second week...

I know mikes database lists action 23 as the 22nd, but that is incorrect (thumbs u

Ah! YOU bought the Action 53--I know someone who was one of the underbidders. Nice book Mike! :)

Here's my latest pickup acquired in a partial cash/trade deal. I mostly collect Action Comics and didn't own any Superman books until now...

I imagine that you probably already know this, but Superman #4 is technically the true first appearence of Lex Luthor as it hit the stands on February 15, 1940; just days before Action Comics #23 was released on February 22, 1940.

I think the Lex Luthor aspect seems to get overlooked in this issue as many appreciate it mostly for the classic cover and the fact that it's a very early issue of the series.

Beautiful pick-up!

ACTUALLY, aside from the epic cover, the fact this is Luthor's 2nd appearance is exactly why I wanted it. I'd been fortunate to get a copy of Batman #2 (second appearances of Joker and Catwoman) so I thought it'd be something else to be able to get the second appearance of the other BIG superhero's main villain.

Finally found a copy of the extremely elusive Action #49. Thanks, Alton! (worship)

action49.jpg

And here's a recent board purchase. White pages. :cloud9:

superman12.jpg

Nice, Jeff!

The #49 is a nice cover and the #12 gay pride cover book has nice pages, too :applause:

Finally found a copy of the extremely elusive Action #49. Thanks, Alton! (worship)

action49.jpg

superman12.jpg

your welcome Jeff, it hurt a little to let that #49 go, especially since it's difficult to find in almost any condition, but I need to concentrate on 41,42,46,47 first, then maybe 49 and 50.

also, that Supes 12 is very "fresh" looking, most copies look dingy or have tanning/shadow issues.

great Supes books !!

Thanks, guys. Now if I could just upgrade my Supes #15. I'd love to find a nice copy of that book. :wishluck:

You have a nice copy! :pullhair:

I hate the "white line" production defect on most copies. It's amazing that the highest graded copy is an 8.0, the 2nd highest a 7.0, then my 6.5, then Dale's 6.0. That's slim pickings for such a high profile title.

superman12.jpg

that's a nice copy of superman 12. i like it too. :)

how about a celebrity endorsement?

boxer joe louis probably likes it too...

minneapolis minn 1941

jlouisminn1940.jpg