• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

latest pickup from ebay, made an offer on this ugly (but MY kind of ugly!) WW2 cover I'd been having a hard time tracking down

action40.jpg

it's also my first CGC book purchase, which I will now extricate from its trappings...

(Matt pulls out exacto knife) smile.gif

Collection now 13/56ths complete!

Edited by mattbird

Another Great purchase Matt, one of the best Action war covers ever !, I use to have one myself, but had to sell it.... as you know.... sorry.gif

hopefully I can replace it someday.. confused-smiley-013.gif

Congrats on another Action purchase 893applaud-thumb.gif

Was thinking of making a run for Mark Wilson's Superman #20 currently on eBay, but the bidding has been pretty agressive. With four days to go, bidding is at $1425.

Another Supes #20, also an 8.5 with white pages, sold just two months ago for $1265.

NearMint, I'm envious of you being able to play in those waters! As I mentioned awhile back, I'm looking to get some of the early Superman books myself...would ideally like a #3-#11 run as well as a couple of the #12-#20 issues...but it will certainly be a slow process given my budget (it's rare for me to drop more than $200 on a single book, so I'll need to choose my purchases pretty carefully).

Do you have any collecting goals these days as far as Supermans & Nedors, or do you just wait for certain high-grade books to catch your eye?

I have Supes 10-20, which was my original goal. Eventually, I'd like to pick up respectable copies of 9, 23 & 24. I have Action 40, 43, 50, 52-63, 66, & 86, but there are some war covers I need to pick up: 31, 35, 39, 44, & 48.

My theoretical goal with Nedors is to collect every Schomburg war cover. About 100 in total, but I only have about a 3rd of them so far, so who knows.

Then, there are other books that are always tempting, like pre-Batman Detectives, and many others way out of my budget. And don't let me near the Schomburg Timelys...

I have Supes 10-20, which was my original goal.

Congrats again on that run. (Maybe a silly question, but any special reason why your goal wasn't #11-20? ...you just like the cover of #10?)

My theoretical goal with Nedors is to collect every Schomburg war cover. About 100 in total, but I only have about a 3rd of them so far, so who knows.

Even 1/3 is pretty impressive. I have a few myself, but all below VG. Are there any that are particularly tough to find?

Then, there are other books that are always tempting, like pre-Batman Detectives, and many others way out of my budget. And don't let me near the Schomburg Timelys...

For real. I'm always fighting off temptation on those Marvel Mysterys! Still haven't given up hope on a decent copy of #40 or #44 someday... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Point Five,

I already owned a Supes #10 when I decided to go for 11-20, so I just held onto it. I do like the cover on #10 a lot.

As for Nedors, in general terms, they are more difficult to find than DC/Timely/Fawcetts from the same time period. I don't have hard numbers, but I assume that print runs were lower as the characters were not as well known as Supes, Batman, Captain America, or Captain Marvel. When you hear people talk about scarcity of Golden Age, they often say that someone with enough money can put together a run of Superman or Batman fairly quickly. This is not true of any Nedor title. Many issues rarely come up for sale. Many of my Nedors are the highest graded copy in the census simply because they're the ONLY graded copy in the census.

this is a book that I saw down at MegaCon two weeks ago, Richard of Bedrock City had it at his booth. I looked at it while at MegaCon, but didn't quite have enough money with me... so when I got back home, I called Bedrock City two days later and purchased the book over the phone..

the book has very nice "eye appeal" for the grade, it has a major 6 1/2" spine split from the bottom to about one inch away from the top staple, and a 1 3/4 split at the top.. other than the spine splits it's a great book, nice off-white pages (compared to one of my CGC slabbed books pages), No tape, No foxing No rust on the staples (staples are actually fairly shiney), No missing pieces or pages. and No restoration (obviously), the cover is firmly attached to the top staple.

I figured this may be the only chance I'd have to own the first apperance of Lex Luthor,

First Lex Luthor (debatable, I know confused-smiley-013.gif )

First mention of the Daily Planet

and

First DC logo in this title

also this is my first (and only) Joe Shuster cover, which I've always wanted one, and this is also the oldest book in my collection now.

how could I pass up all of that, I'm very happy with it.. grin.gif

ActionComics23-3.jpg

Edited by thedude

I think you made a real nice purchase. The book looks very very nice and has lots of good qualities for a lower grade. To me, a spine split is more acceptable than many other defects (mold, tape, dust shadows, water stain, rust, etc)

Congrats on your first Shuster cover! Oh, and before I forget hail.gif

hey, thanks Brian, yeah I always kinda figured my first Shuster would be #19, as I love that cover... but this #23 is also one of my fav Shuster covers..

almost forgot, I read the Luthor story last night, wanted to post a few Luthor panels from the book, pretty cool..

Luthor panel 1

Luthor panel 2

Edited by thedude

I'm just gonna leave it. I was very careful when reading it... and if I got the spine sealed it wouldn't really "look" any better, so I'm just gonna leave it as is.. if the next owner wants to seal the spine then he (or she) will have the choice...

I've told this story before, but years ago, I called Steve at Metro one day and asked what new Actions he had. "Just got in a NM #23," he said. He wanted a grand for it. I took 24 to think about it, called back, but the book had sold. frustrated.gif