• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

Somewhere between 15 & 20 years ago. The whole story is that he had the Action #23 NM and a Detective #66 NM. I took the day to decide which one to buy, but when I'd called back, they were both sold.

Around the same time, I bought the Action #33 Church copy for $1140, and #46 for $960. Both books are long gone now(to a certain dentist).

Those were the days, my friend...

Somewhere between 15 & 20 years ago. The whole story is that he had the Action #23 NM and a Detective #66 NM. I took the day to decide which one to buy, but when I'd called back, they were both sold.

Around the same time, I bought the Action #33 Church copy for $1140, and #46 for $960. Both books are long gone now(to a certain dentist).

Those were the days, my friend...

We've probably have all had that "let me think about it" conversation with a dealer, especially at conventions, only to return and find the book sold. Its just hard to lay out big money for a book on the spot without at least thinking it over. $1,000 twenty years ago was definitly BIG money so I can see you needing some time.

Did you sell your #33 & 46 because they weren't war covers?

hey, great story Nearmint,... I've just recently gotten back into collecting GA, I've bought and sold two or three books as far back as 10 years ago or so. but this past year is where I've really been active, I've always watched the market and always read the reports in Overstreet year after year.. seems like you've been a serious collector for a long time...always interesting to hear about how much the market has changed.

Did you sell your #33 & 46 because they weren't war covers?

It was actually a trade. Dave had very high grade non-pedigree copies of #33 & #46, so I got those, along with the Church copy of #55, plus NM copies of Batman #53 & #55, Church copies of a few Captain Midnights, and some other stuff.

Of course, I ended up selling the non-pedigree Action #33 & #46 later on, along with 28, 30, 32, 34, & 47. frustrated.gif

Also owned the Church copies of Action #86 & #87 for a while(bought them from Ernie Gerber), but sold or traded them both.

I just got these back from CGC yesterday. This is not the first thread I have posted them in, but hey, I am glad to have books again. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Action Comics #83 Intro to Hocus and Pocus Off-white pages

Action Comics #99 First small logo issue White pages

actioncomics83and99groupshot.jpg

Bump for this thread! No progress on the GA Superman front, but here are some new poor man's Actions

I've picked up in the last month or so. With thanks to whomerjay for the #32, and thanks to the 'bay for #40

(seller is now NARU'd so I truly got lucky with this one). Both are low-grade copies with a number of hidden

flaws in addition to the obvious ones, but they are complete, display nicely & I'm thrilled with 'em! smile.gif

action32.jpg

action40.jpg

nice books Point Five, I haven't had much luck recently with the GA Actions, nice copies just don't come up that frequently, I've been looking more at GA Supermans lately, I collect both and am trying to fill some issues in of that series.

not much luck with the Supermans lately either, as I've been beaten out of a few recent auctions frustrated.gif

Nice pickups Point Five!

The Action #32 cover has always reminded me of what I think a Supes cover would look like if Bob Kane drew it. It kind of has a pre-Robin TEC artwork feel to it (if that makes any sense insane.gif )

Action #40 is high on my want list. A copy in any condition is a good score. Congrats thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the kind words guys.... hi.gif

The Action #32 cover has always reminded me of what I think a Supes cover would look like if Bob Kane drew it.

It kind of has a pre-Robin TEC artwork feel to it (if that makes any sense insane.gif )

Actually I do see what you mean, Brian... the fact that the cover scene is an interior, and the whole

"mad scientist" theme, makes it more reminiscent of covers like Tec #29 and #35 than of the other early Action

covers which all show outdoor scenes. Offhand, I can't think of any other early Actions depicting interior scenes.

great pickup Zipper, is this the book Metro had ??

Yes. Not the $825 F+ (which I believe is also on Bob Storm's site), but the F+ with a slight subscription bend.

BTW, the price on the website was not accurate. When I called I was told that the new guide just came out and the price was higher than what was on the website. I paid a little more than I wanted to, but isn't that always the case? tongue.gif

well, I was about to say that you got a sweet deal if you paid the price that's on the website, I don't know what you paid for it, but either way, it's a nice looking book, I can't see the Sub crease on it. if there is one, it's very faint.

I've always really liked that cover. When I first started collecting GA, I had a copy of this book with a big white sticker over Supes' face. Otherwise, a beautiful copy. I was glad to pick up a nice mid-grade several years ago, with no sticker!

Things have been slow lately on the Action Comics collecting, so I decided to pick up a Superman #32 that I've wanted since I first saw it in the "Superman: from the 30's to the 70's" book, which I had when I was a wee tot. Got it from Metro, didn't pay too much, and it seems to be in decent shape, and the pages are almost completely white cool.gif very happy with it. plus I can always upgrade some day if I wish too.

Superman32front.jpg

The other book is an Action #46 that I bought from Bechara at last November's Mid-Ohio Con. I sent it to CGC and it came back Saturday. it's now the highest graded book in my collection and when the CGC census updates, will be the second highest copy of this issue yay.gif (one currently in 9.0) . and I love those WHITE pages. cloud9.gif

does anyone know anything about the 9.0 copy ? does it have WHITE pages ?? confused-smiley-013.gif

ActionComics46slabbed1.jpg

Edited by thedude

Cool cover on the Superman 32. Looks very presentable for the grade. Probably no need to upgrade.

I already praised your Action 46 in the grading thread, but it deserves another few hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

hey thanks for the kind comments Brian, I've happy with the Superman #32, if I don't get a chance to upgrade , it won't bother me,. it's got great pages, it seems to me that on the #32 the printing registration is off on some of the ones I've seen,. either the blues or reds didn't strike in line correctly,. I feel that this one's printing registration was almost perfect... Metro had another one in the exact same grade, but it had a fair amount of writing on it, so you can guess why I choose this one.

on the Action #46, this is probably the closest thing I'll have to knowing what a GA book looked like when bought off the rack back in the 40's, the reds are very deep, and the white logo area is very clean...the only bad thing about this book is that it has me wanting to buy other GA books in this grade range...it's kinda spoiled me. but I'm sure I'll come back to reality when I see the prices on other high grade GA books. but I'm very happy to have this one.