• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

My only purchase in San Diego this year, but I'm very happy with it...

act62.jpg

Really nice copy of a cool book Jeff :applause:

Did you pick up anything else in trade perhaps? Hard to imagine walking out of SDCC with one comic.

act62.jpg

Jeff & I had a discussion about Action #62 months back. I told him about the 2 different versions of this book. Jeff just bought the VERY RARE version. This is only the 2nd copy I have seen in my 26 years of collecting.

Here is a pic of the common version. Anyone see the differences?

action62lessblood_zps879d728e.jpg

Right. The other difference is 3 spots of blood on the leg instead of 1 spot.

I guess DC felt it was too gory, so they lessened the amount of blood and added orange to the plane to make it more visible.

Group shot!

I attribute this to them working so fast they just grabbed the old logo and didn't realize it!

My very first post in this forum (back in 2005!) was asking this same question -- why the Superman logo jumped back and forth between different hand-drawn versions across the #1-10 run. I could buy the logo on #9 as just a near miss of the 'regular' logo, but the crude logo drawn for #4 and #5 is particularly weird... It's still kind of a mystery to me.

Longtime letterer Todd Klein, who has done a bunch of research on comic logos from the historical perspective on his blog, has partially addressed this subject:

After they had received a few of these, his editors must have given Joe a call and suggested that they have their staff logo man, Ira Schnapp, do a version that could be photostatted and put on every cover. It would save Joe time, it was the way things were usually done, and though they might not have said so, Joe’s variable logos didn’t make the book look good.

So, that doesn't necessarily address the back-and-forth, but if Shuster was hand-drawing the logo on some of those covers, it's possible that they didn't use the covers in the order in which they were drawn, I'd say.

http://kleinletters.com/Blog/logo-study-action-comicssuperman-part-2/

Klein has a whole series on the development of the Superman and Action logos, as well as tons of other stuff of this nature from a historical perspective. Very highly recommended.

http://kleinletters.com/Blog/logo-links/

Group shot!

I attribute this to them working so fast they just grabbed the old logo and didn't realize it!

My very first post in this forum (back in 2005!) was asking this same question -- why the Superman logo jumped back and forth between different hand-drawn versions across the #1-10 run. I could buy the logo on #9 as just a near miss of the 'regular' logo, but the crude logo drawn for #4 and #5 is particularly weird... It's still kind of a mystery to me.

Longtime letterer Todd Klein, who has done a bunch of research on comic logos from the historical perspective on his blog, has partially addressed this subject:

After they had received a few of these, his editors must have given Joe a call and suggested that they have their staff logo man, Ira Schnapp, do a version that could be photostatted and put on every cover. It would save Joe time, it was the way things were usually done, and though they might not have said so, Joe’s variable logos didn’t make the book look good.

So, that doesn't necessarily address the back-and-forth, but if Shuster was hand-drawing the logo on some of those covers, it's possible that they didn't use the covers in the order in which they were drawn, I'd say.

Klein has a whole series on the development of the Superman and Action logos, as well as tons of other stuff of this nature from a historical perspective. Very highly recommended.

Mark, these are great! And they go a long way towards answering the questions I've always had about this. Thanks so much for the links.

Group shot!

Thanks, more to read!

act62.jpg

Did you pick up anything else in trade perhaps? Hard to imagine walking out of SDCC with one comic.

Hi Bill, my focus is pretty narrow these days, so even finding one book is a good con for me! :hi:

act62.jpg

Hi Bill, my focus is pretty narrow these days, so even finding one book is a good con for me! :hi:

(thumbs u