• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FCBD postponed

17 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, aardvark88 said:

Postponed to Sat. August 14, 2021. FCBD Avengers, Red Room, Spider-man, Venom, anime Star Wars and anything else good this Covid-19 weekend?

Batman has a foil ratio that is 1 out of every 4 bundles?

There is I believe over 50 titles this year.  My list of what I am after is We Live, House of Slaughter, Avengers/Hulk, Spidey/Venom, Star Wars (I think 2 different), Stray Dogs, and possibly Red Room.

League of Comic Geeks (https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comics/new-comics) has a pretty good listing if you search for Free Comic Book Day.

I'll probably try to grab Enter the House of Slaughter, Stray Dogs, and the Blade Runner one-shot. Maybe also the Resistance: Uprising book, even though it's reprint material, because I'm more or less collecting J. Michael Straczynski at this point. My interest was briefly piqued when FCBD listed the Vampire: the Masquerade book as "Original Exclusive Content", but they're wrong; it's just a reprint of Vault's mediocre #1 from last year.

On 8/12/2021 at 1:43 PM, Crops068 said:

Batman has a foil ratio that is 1 out of every 4 bundles?

There is I believe over 50 titles this year.  My list of what I am after is We Live, House of Slaughter, Avengers/Hulk, Spidey/Venom, Star Wars (I think 2 different), Stray Dogs, and possibly Red Room.

League of Comic Geeks (https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comics/new-comics) has a pretty good listing if you search for Free Comic Book Day.

Can you please request 1 of each for me? 😃

On 8/12/2021 at 3:38 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Looking forward to it.

House of Slaughter and then Image Comics' Stray Dogs seemed to be the first FCBD 2021 titles to sell out. Loved Piskor's 'Red Room' with 2 pages of humorous animated Faust costume. Anime Star Wars was a good read with slick art with Asian Jedi Lili. Kids seemed to gravitate to Aftershock's 'We Live the Last Days' cover. My 2 LCS limited fans to 4 comics each so I had to put back the nice photo cover of 'Trailer Park Boys' to get ASM/Venom and Avengers /Hulk cover.

On 8/14/2021 at 6:36 PM, aardvark88 said:

House of Slaughter and then Image Comics' Stray Dogs seemed to be the first FCBD 2021 titles to sell out. Loved Piskor's 'Red Room' with 2 pages of humorous animated Faust costume. Anime Star Wars was a good read with slick art with Asian Jedi Lili. Kids seemed to gravitate to Aftershock's 'We Live the Last Days' cover. My 2 LCS limited fans to 4 comics each so I had to put back the nice photo cover of 'Trailer Park Boys' to get ASM/Venom and Avengers /Hulk cover.

I took my son to the three shops near me within 15 minutes. 2 stores limited to 3 books and another to 4. House of Slaughter and Stray Dogs were definitely the most popular, but there was a stack of both at the store closest to me. The other two stores were sold out of one or both. I think I grabbed a copy of Red Room and both Star Wars books at each shop.

All three stores were very busy. One had a line out the door for checking out, which was nice to see. Also, lots of kids grabbing books that weren’t FCBD. 

My son was bummed there wasn’t a Power Rangers FCBD book this year, and that seemed to be a theme based on conversations with the shop owners or managers. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 8/14/2021 at 6:49 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I took my son to the three shops near me within 15 minutes. 2 stores limited to 3 books and another to 4. House of Slaughter and Stray Dogs were definitely the most popular, but there was a stack of both at the store closest to me. The other two stores were sold out of one or both. I think I grabbed a copy of Red Room and both Star Wars books at each shop.

All three stores were very busy. One had a line out the door for checking out, which was nice to see. Also, lots of kids grabbing books that weren’t FCBD. 

My son was bummed there wasn’t a Power Rangers FCBD book this year, and that seemed to be a theme based on conversations with the shop owners or managers. 

Same here super busy as well.  I was going to go dollar bin diving but there were way too many unmasked people that i just picked up a few books and fled 

On 8/14/2021 at 6:49 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Have you read your free books yet? Which ones have you enjoyed

On 8/14/2021 at 7:44 PM, Wolverinex said:

Not yet. When I got home, my kids’ new play set was finished being installed, so the remainder of afternoon into evening was spent playing with them. Looking forward to the Star Wars books and Red Room is a fun read. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

I haven’t read any of my haul, but mini-me read all his.  My LCS only had a limitation of 1 copy of each book. Another did already packaged bags based on type kid/teenager/adult and I think Marvel/DC, I didn’t make it by this one.  The other I am aware of did a pull list for 10 books or if you didn’t do the pull you got similar pre-bagged types.

On 8/14/2021 at 7:44 PM, Wolverinex said:

Fungirl: Tales of a Grown-up Nothing was hilariously bizarre - or bizarrely hilarious, take your pick.  I loved it.  The Avengers/Hulk was awful (both stories).  The Batman 1st story was "meh," the second story ("I am Batman") wasn't well-written at all, in my opinion.  
My favorite stuff to get and read are the indie and kid stuff I wouldn't normally get.  Really looking forward to reading Red Room.  Both of DC's kid samplers - Beast Boy/Raven, and the Robin kid book - were highly entertaining and adorable.  
Calexit was fascinating, and I definitely want to read more.  "Kyle's Little Sister" was really, really good.  
I love FCBD!
I just hope parents were monitoring what their kids picked out!  There was some REALLY adult stuff on the shelves!