• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 March Madness - Round of 12
3 3

136 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

I look at it as an evolution of grading over time. My first concept of grading had me focusing on the definitions from the OPG and variations (plus or minus) of four levels. ucpxyAzl.jpg

I don't even think I bothered writing those down initially and kept more of a check list with the only major notes being whether a cover was present or not:

Pa3uAMOl.jpg

A3ot3zHl.jpg

Then I bought some software toward the late 1980's when I was interested in the valuation. That involved this software:

iTfvXeKl.jpg

And that got me to enter/write down grades for the first time along the lines of the OPG. That method was sufficient for me and I put away my toys (comics) again for another twenty years. That was when some internet searching led me to these forums as I looked for information about selling my collection. But instead, it enticed me to get back into collecting. And the next thing I knew, I was ordering supplies and rebagging/boarding my entire collection. Instead of selling, I started buying books again. And as I went through the entire collection, I entered the CGC level of grading (thanks to this forum) - recording the information into a website (Comic Book Realm). Far more in tune with descriptive notes, more thorough analysis, and CGC grades.

So I see it now as part of the deal of collecting-- being able to accurately grade is a good skill for any collector. There are definite changes in the levels we go to describe and allow certain levels of condition. I think it is for the better in general - and has helped me get a better understanding of comic collecting in general.

had the same software :applause: still have it around here somewhere, also keep up with mine on CBR. I'm also old too lol

8 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

had the same software :applause: still have it around here somewhere, also keep up with mine on CBR. I'm also old too lol

I sold the software as a collectible on Ebay two years ago but still have my old 8088 machine that has the software loaded on it. I only need to change the date to a pre-2000 date prior to running any software (well at least the last time I started it up I did -- that battery has to be toast by now). Not that I need to run the software-- still have the printouts from the old dot-matrix printer-- along with that listing system I used originally.

Edited by 01TheDude