• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 March Madness - Round of 3
3 3

55 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The first comic I bought off of the rack was X-Men #103.  Loved the book and continued buying X-Men off of the rack.

Got to X-Men #137 and the copy I bought off the rack had a double cover.  Stopped buying X-Men at #143 or so. 

Sold of my collection (as many of us did) before entering college.  Still looking for a double cover X-Men #137.   Can't find one.  Probably has something to do with it being a square bond book with the outer (extra) cover not being glued on. 

In the meantime, I started putting together a X-Men double cover collection; have about 40 to 50 X-Men double covers.  When those aren't available, I pickup other Marvel and DC double covers. 

How many total do you have now Christian?  I have about 30 I think.

5 hours ago, Shark said:

On a side note, the governor of Oklahoma just ordered all non-essential businesses to close for the next 3 weeks, starting at midnight tomorrow, in those counties which have positive coronavirus cases.  I admin the Oklahoma Comic Book Collecting Facebook group and just encouraged local shops to use our group to run comic sales and auctions during this downtime.

It's not a bad idea! The last comic book shop still open in San Antonio just closed tonight and will stay closed at least until 4/10? Who knows? The comic book club at my work meets there on the last Thursday each month, so we are trying to think of another way and try and support our store while its closed. How may of our local comic shops will survive these city wide shutdowns? These are small businesses and some are very vulnerable! I hope this thing does not last too long!:ohnoez:

14 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Before I forget, let's give thanks to my $1.98 Goodwill scanner for pumping out the sweet, sweet scans.  

The HP scanjet 7400c

IMG_20200325_120110239.thumb.jpg.06299dfd048f37c31460020cdd71dee6.jpg

And seeing how dirty it is, you're making sure it STILL looks like a $1.98 scanner.  :baiting:

My worst round by far.  Can't believe that Demon #1 got a 9.2 even though I know CGC supposedly doesn't subtract for printer's creases or ink overspray.  Can't believe that Shazam got a 6.0 either.

Overall, very happy with my consistency this year.  Out of 34 books graded, I either got a bulls-eye or was no more than 0.5 off on 30 of the 34 books.  And of the 4 I was off more than 0.5, I under-graded all 4.

Congrats to Warlord and Azkaban!  I'm very happy to have made it to the top 3.  Let the finals begin!

Edited by Shark

10 minutes ago, Shark said:

My worst round by far.  Can't believe that Demon #1 got a 9.2 even though I know CGC supposedly doesn't subtract for printer's creases or ink overspray.  Can't believe that Shazam got a 6.0 either.

Congrats to Warlord and Azkaban!  I'm very happy to have made it to the top 3.  Let the finals begin!

Thanks Shark.

That Wonder Woman is just too sharp to be only a 9.4.  I wanted to drop to 9.4 because of the bend at the top right through the book, but it's just too purty in every other way.   And I certainly wished I could have known if the entire spine was split on that GI Combat.  I was at 3.0 before looking at the large scans, then saw how bad the spine was.   I figured it was no higher than 2.0 if it was entirely split, but I was banking on it just barely holding together so it wouldn't be punished for a full split allowing it to be a notch above the 2.0.  Yeah, gift grade on that Shazam for sure! 

14 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Thanks Shark.

That Wonder Woman is just too sharp to be only a 9.4.  I wanted to drop to 9.4 because of the bend at the top right through the book, but it's just too purty in every other way.   And I certainly wished I could have known if the entire spine was split on that GI Combat.  I was at 3.0 before looking at the large scans, then saw how bad the spine was.   I figured it was no higher than 2.0 if it was entirely split, but I was banking on it just barely holding together so it wouldn't be punished for a full split allowing it to be a notch above the 2.0.  Yeah, gift grade on that Shazam for sure! 

Yes if i'd known the spine was split all the way I would have given it a 2.5 and gotten a bulls. I recently had a book come back 2.5 with a full split, but not knowing I gave it a 3. I did not do well this round :(. I was way off on the Demon I marked down for the "printer creases" and now I know better. That's why these contests are so important! I learn every time. For example when I look through my 2015 grading guide now I instantly process the more forgiving current environment and mentally adjust. How about you guys? Think its time for a new grading guide to come out? 

For a guy like me who submits just a few books a year these contests really help me to stay calibrated in my grading. Getting to see all these books go through the process, before and after in almost real time is a huge benefit and I really appreciate it! My local comic book club relies on me as I am helping them learn to grade (God help them, but i'm doing my best) and I provide a free grading consultation to them monthly. They bring their books in for me to help them evaluate.