• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Anyone Know if CGC Will Close?
4 4

568 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Fortunately I live on the beach, I have access. Brevard County beaches are open for exercise only, no "lounging or sunbathing" ECT. Waves are going to be good for days. 51 cases of Corona in my entire county, going up about 3-5 cases a day from 7 almost 2 weeks ago to 51 today. 

Everyone be safe. I'm staying in the ocean or my chlorine pool customers pools... sterile environment.

In SO CA you can’t walk on the sand to get to the water. Even if you live on the water. Nor can you be in the water 1,000 from the beach. NO surfing period. One guy was on the news disobeying the life guards. They sent a boat out, picked him up and cuffed him. Just got to do it. We are doing our damndest here to end this. Surfing is just one of many things I really miss but I can do it for the greater good. 

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yep, that's what bars get like sometimes:foryou:

For all of the knuckleheads I had to deal with, there were far more regulars that I enjoyed seeing every Friday and Saturday night.  My post was on a stool next to the front door, in sight of the stage where they have bands play nightly.  The pool table was next to me so there was always a game going if we were slow.  My buddies would hang out with me all night and my best bud was the bar manger so it was kinda like our clubhouse.  If it was a busy night, there was always a regular who would run to the bar and get a Coke or a water for me.  Most nights were fun.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:50 AM, Robot Man said:

Man, most everything here is closed or partially closed. I did find out later that the pet store was open but you couldn't go inside. Call and pay electronicaly and they will come and put it in your trunk. Several comic stores are doing the same. You can even get margaritas through pick up with El Torrito. I don't know how they would do that though. Open container? Liquor stores and weed stores are open to limited shoppers. And, sadly gun stores.

We went to a local place last night for carry out and got their 32oz margaritas.  Actually really good.  Refrigerated in a can. Even came with limes and salt. 

IMG_1776.jpeg

29 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

For all of the knuckleheads I had to deal with, there were far more regulars that I enjoyed seeing every Friday and Saturday night.  My post was on a stool next to the front door, in sight of the stage where they have bands play nightly.  The pool table was next to me so there was always a game going if we were slow.  My buddies would hang out with me all night and my best bud was the bar manger so it was kinda like our clubhouse.  If it was a busy night, there was always a regular who would run to the bar and get a Coke or a water for me.  Most nights were fun.

Bars are a whole world within themselves. Booze just brings it out in some people.

I play in a blues band. We showed up at a country and western type bar for a set out in the sticks. There was chicken wire around the stage. One guy asked me why and I told him he would probably soon find out. A couple of lubed up patrons were yelling out country songs for us to play. We explained although we appreciated those songs we were a blues band. Pretty soon, beer bottles started hitting the chicken wire. Just for fun, we ended our set with a rather punked up version of "Your Cheating Heart". The poor bouncer had his hands full that night...

Another time we were sitting at the bar taking a break. Some drunkun redneck walked up and asked me who the "pickaniny" was (refering to Clarence, our drummer). Clarence is a black dude and very mellow. He had never heard that particular racial slur I guess. I calmly told the redneck to take a look at that pickaniny's arms. I told him he could probably crush your head like a walnut if he wanted. He took another look and muttered something under his breath and walked away.

I prefer the weed smoking audiences a lot more...

38 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

We went to a local place last night for carry out and got their 32oz margaritas.  Actually really good.  Refrigerated in a can. Even came with limes and salt. 

IMG_1776.jpeg

Cool! I wondered how they would be able to do that. Good Mexican food just has to have a nice Margarita or Mexican beer to wash it down with. I sure miss hanging out at my favorite Mexican place. Big family owns it. Very friendly neighborhood place with the most authentic food I know of. We have ordered take out as well as all of their regulars. I am hoping they will be back open soon.

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Another time we were sitting at the bar taking a break. Some drunkun redneck walked up and asked me who the "pickaniny" was (refering to Clarence, our drummer). Clarence is a black dude and very mellow. He had never heard that particular racial slur I guess. I calmly told the redneck to take a look at that pickaniny's arms. I told him he could probably crush your head like a walnut if he wanted. He took another look and muttered something under his breath and walked away.

Wow.  Good on you for not stomping him out.  I’m afraid if he said something like that to me about someone, the next thing he’d know he’d be waking up looking for his teeth.

1 minute ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Wow.  Good on you for not stomping him out.  I’m afraid if he said something like that to me about someone, the next thing he’d know he’d be waking up looking for his teeth.

You know what? He was drunk, ignorant and stupid. I almost had to laugh at that word. I hadn't heard it in a long time. A butt kicking wouldn't teach him anything.

The older I get the more I realize that I get far more enjoyment with a quick appropriate retort to someone like that.

I was at the post office a few weeks ago. The older lady behind me was fidigetings and complaining about the line in a loud voice. Like her time was far more important than any body else's. I turned around, looked her in the eye and said calmly in a bit of a loud voice: "Madam, it appears that you probably have less time to live than I do, why don't you go in front of me?". She shut up and I heard a lot of snickers in the line behind me...

50 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

We showed up at a country and western type bar for a set out in the sticks. There was chicken wire around the stage. One guy asked me why and I told him he would probably soon find out.

thumb image

48 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Cool! I wondered how they would be able to do that. Good Mexican food just has to have a nice Margarita or Mexican beer to wash it down with. I sure miss hanging out at my favorite Mexican place. Big family owns it. Very friendly neighborhood place with the most authentic food I know of. We have ordered take out as well as all of their regulars. I am hoping they will be back open soon.

Check and see what they are doing.  We went to our local Mexican restaurant last Saturday for carry out.  Did fajitas for four and some cheese quesadillas.  We ate the fajitas for four days, got eight meals out of it !  They also had margaritas but theirs were in a plastic container. What was interesting is I asked the manager how they were doing and his reply to me was "we are doing pretty good, every week I am able to bring a couple of people back on". I thought it was nice that he defined doing good as being able to get his employees back to work..

I do. This place is great. This and an Asian fussion place are favorites of ours.  Their regulars are keeping them afloat I think. 

I even called my local comic store and ordered a bunch of supplies. I paid with PayPal and he came out an put them in my trunk. Had a talk with him (from the proper distance). He just opened a new location a couple months ago and said he will probably have to close that one down. Even though he has no new product from Diamond, he is still selling cards, toys and stuff on his very recently updated website. He says he can go 3-4 months he thinks but after that maybe not. A shop downtown opened in Jan. Selling only new comics. Sadly, pretty sure they are gone. 

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

I do. This place is great. This and an Asian fussion place are favorites of ours.  Their regulars are keeping them afloat I think. 

I even called my local comic store and ordered a bunch of supplies. I paid with PayPal and he came out an put them in my trunk. Had a talk with him (from the proper distance). He just opened a new location a couple months ago and said he will probably have to close that one down. Even though he has no new product from Diamond, he is still selling cards, toys and stuff on his very recently updated website. He says he can go 3-4 months he thinks but after that maybe not. A shop downtown opened in Jan. Selling only new comics. Sadly, pretty sure they are gone. 

It is really sad.  I think a lot of small businesses will close down and it will be a real long time before they come back if ever.

Kind of like record shops when down loaded music came around. But they made a big comeback when the hipsters discover vinyl. It might take year or two but a lot will come back. 

I’ve heard and seen a bit of whining from a couple of comic dealers about no conventions. If dealers and stores want to stay alive, they are going to have to work a lot harder and smarter. Right now, there still is a pretty good online business. Not just a website or eBay but IG, FB and even right here. A smart business will figure it out and adapt. Cons are over for 2020. Even if they open later this year, they will be sparse in buyers. This has spooked a lot of people...

7 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:

The true definition of strength is to posses the ability to destroy and yet choosing to save

It's called humility and it is usually something people learn after suffering great loss themselves.

It's also how you learn empathy.

Edited by VintageComics

5 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I'd probably be one of those regulars because it sounds like my night out. I'm usually standing next to head of security and we chat all night! lol

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I’ve heard and seen a bit of whining from a couple of comic dealers about no conventions.

Well, I can definitely see these lockdowns being a big problem for some old time dealers like Harley since their business model is built almost entirely on face to face contact at conventions, and not so much on internet transactions.  :(

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Bars are a whole world within themselves. Booze just brings it out in some people.

I play in a blues band. We showed up at a country and western type bar for a set out in the sticks. There was chicken wire around the stage. One guy asked me why and I told him he would probably soon find out. A couple of lubed up patrons were yelling out country songs for us to play. We explained although we appreciated those songs we were a blues band. Pretty soon, beer bottles started hitting the chicken wire. Just for fun, we ended our set with a rather punked up version of "Your Cheating Heart". The poor bouncer had his hands full that night...

The only good thing about bar fights is that  there's usually a lot of loose change to pick up off of the floor afterward!  :banana:

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My buddy went to use restroom at bar some 7 foot tall dude walked up and started dragging away his seat.  I hooked it with my foot and stated my buddy's sitten there.  He puffed up and yelled YOU WANNA **** WITH ME??!  I jumped up and said absolutely.  It was much like McFly vs Biff in the diner.  Only I'm no McFly.   I knew damn well huge dudes never learn to fight as they intimidate with size alone.  I was eyin his kneecaps.  He put hands up in surrender and walked away.