• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

​​​​​​​WE HAVE A WINNER - SEE FIRST POST - GA Artist May Madness
8 8

326 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I don't think any of those guys have any work originally published in comic books.

As the proud owner of the hyper-hot Feature Books 26, I can tell you that the cover for that issue is the only work Hal Foster did for a comic book. I agree; amazingly talented illustrator, but not a comic book artist.

Well folks we have another OT game.  Lou Fine vs. Al Williamson ended in an 18-18 tie.  

Let's break this tie and get to our Elite 8.  I will post the winners/losers of the other games and updated brackets in a bit.

@kav @aardvark88 @Ryan. @Ken Aldred @shadroch @exitmusicblue

The link to the OT game - https://s.surveyplanet.com/KYMeOdfjZ

Quick turnaround - let's go roughly 24 hours to close it down.  Voting ends tomorrow, 5-11-20 at 8 am CST.

Updated Bracket and More...

See post above to vote on the OT game between Lou Fine vs. Al Williamson - https://s.surveyplanet.com/KYMeOdfjZ

Results of the Sweet 16:

Alex Schomburg 29 - Mac Raboy 12 (I thought this one would be much closer but the cover artist supreme ran away with it as Raboy couldn't muster enough offense)

L.B. Cole 22 - Will Eisner 19 (A nip and tuck one throughout.  Cole's dynamic and colorful strategy pushed over Eisner)

Bill Everett 27 - Dan Zolnerowich 12 (Everett proved himself to be a true contender in this battle of titans)

And in the regional that got the most action (legitimate or not)...

Wally Wood 53 - Reed Crandall 12 (Wood was favored but it was a blowout of epic proportion)

And lastly, the game that created the most intrigue:

Carl Barks 42 - Jack Kirby 23 (Barks nearly doubled up on Kirby).

So once we get our final participant, we will begin the road to the FINAL FOUR :whee:

Updated Bracket sans Fine v. Williamson winner:

Link to view or download high-res updated bracket - https://photos.app.goo.gl/sTXUNaNVUC2ExjFz8

352237915_elite8march-madness-bracket-page-001.thumb.jpg.36282ff5c78e10099113d9453439b33d.jpg

You know, since Raymond and Foster are involved in this, we did forget the most commercially successful golden age era artist of all with published work starting in 1947. I don’t think he would have made it far in this bracket as a pure artist but the impact has been worldwide and I wanted to at least give him a shout-out here.

3BFD1BED-57A7-4040-AB8E-712E92607A6D.jpeg

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

Just now, Ricksneatstuff said:

You know, since Raymond and Foster are involved in this, we did forget the most commercially successful golden age artist of all with published work starting in 1947. I don’t think he would have made it far in this bracket as a pure artist but the impact has been worldwide and I wanted to at least give him a shout-out here.

3BFD1BED-57A7-4040-AB8E-712E92607A6D.jpeg

Who dat

3 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Who dat

I believe it is Charles Schulz and Rick @Ricksneatstuff I tend to agree, I should have had him in the entry round voting.  There was after all a Peanuts comic in the GA.  So many I forgot or should have been more refined in the criteria I used.

Edited by telerites

24 minutes ago, telerites said:

Updated Bracket and More...

See post above to vote on the OT game between Lou Fine vs. Al Williamson - https://s.surveyplanet.com/KYMeOdfjZ

Results of the Sweet 16:

Alex Schomburg 29 - Mac Raboy 12 (I thought this one would be much closer but the cover artist supreme ran away with it as Raboy couldn't muster enough offense)

L.B. Cole 22 - Will Eisner 19 (A nip and tuck one throughout.  Cole's dynamic and colorful strategy pushed over Eisner)

Bill Everett 27 - Dan Zolnerowich 12 (Everett proved himself to be a true contender in this battle of titans)

And in the regional that got the most action (legitimate or not)...

Wally Wood 53 - Reed Crandall 12 (Wood was favored but it was a blowout of epic proportion)

And lastly, the game that created the most intrigue:

Carl Barks 42 - Jack Kirby 23 (Barks nearly doubled up on Kirby).

So once we get our final participant, we will begin the road to the FINAL FOUR :whee:

Updated Bracket sans Fine v. Williamson winner:

Link to view or download high-res updated bracket - https://photos.app.goo.gl/sTXUNaNVUC2ExjFz8

352237915_elite8march-madness-bracket-page-001.thumb.jpg.36282ff5c78e10099113d9453439b33d.jpg

Frazetta vs Heath?

Baker vs Foster?

(I enjoy your little summaries)

Edited by piper

21 minutes ago, piper said:

Frazetta vs Heath?

Baker vs Foster?

(I enjoy your little summaries)

Oops doh!.  Sorry and thanks for the catch and kind words. 

Frazetta 31 - Russ Heath 10 (Heavily favored and still dominant, "Fritz" moves on)

Matt Baker 26 - Hal Foster 15 ( A tightly contested game until late in the second half as Baker pulls away from Foster to earn an Elite 8 spot)

38 minutes ago, telerites said:

I believe it is Charles Schulz and Rick @Ricksneatstuff I tend to agree, I should have had him in the entry round voting.  There was after all a Peanuts comic in the GA.  So many I forgot or should have been more refined in the criteria I used.

Oh, definitely not meant as any form of criticism.  This has been quite fun and you have done an excellent job with this. (thumbsu

6 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Oh, definitely not meant as any form of criticism.  This has been quite fun and you have done an excellent job with this. (thumbsu

None taken at all, Rick. Cat @Cat-Man_America had a good idea for next year's tournament by actually breaking it up into more siloed regionals so that will be fun to see how that tournament evolves.  

Thanks for playing.  

2 hours ago, telerites said:

Make some notes so you can improve for next year !

23 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Frazatta will waste that guy

You know I may be picking Baker.  I love Frazetta but if I consider the total comic work of both, I have to give the nod to Baker for his overall work and just how beautiful so much of it is.  Now if we are comparing Frazetta's total work including his painting, then it is Frazetta hands down.