• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

​​​​​​​WE HAVE A WINNER - SEE FIRST POST - GA Artist May Madness
8 8

326 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2020 at 4:47 PM, sfcityduck said:

O'Mealia's my favorite 1930s cover artist. Action 2 blew me away the first time I saw it for sale at my LCS in 1981.  But, I've never seen this however!  Great stuff.  Totally agree and love to see something I've never seen before!  Too rare is right.  

This reprints a lot of his early work stories for DC.  I wish it was a larger size but I'm pleased they something as good as this was published.

https://www.amazon.com/DC-Comics-Before-Superman-Wheeler-Nicholsons/dp/1613451644/ref=sr_1_1?crid=36W81ZS62U9Q&dchild=1&keywords=malcolm+wheeler-nicholson&qid=1589038805&sprefix=malcom+wheeler%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-1

On 5/8/2020 at 10:14 AM, telerites said:

Lou Fine vs. Al Williamson - A battle of style and refinement.  Does does the talented member of the “Fleagle Gang” have the have the skills to clip the wings of the lauded “Black Condor” co-creator?

Bill Everett vs. Dan Zolnerowich - Heavy-hitting Zolnerowich brings a “riveting” style but is it enough bring down the “Atlas” shouldered legend?

Wally Wood vs. Reed Crandall - Can Crandall “Captain” a “Triumph” against “The Dean of Science-Fiction Artists?”

Jack Kirby vs. Carl Barks - Hard-nosed Kirby’s “shield-like” defense and “knock-out” offense look to roast some duck in a clash of diverse styles.

Alex Schomburg vs. Mac Raboy - It’s no “mystery” that Schomburg is a “marvel” as he looks to “stifle” Raboy’s “lightning” fast skills.

L.B. Cole vs. Will Eisner - “Colorful” Cole squares off against the “Wonder Man” Eisner.

Frank Frazetta vs. Russ Heath - Heath was savage in his defeat of Feldstein but he now faces the not-so “funny” “famous” legend in Frazetta.

Matt Baker vs. Hal Foster - Foster brings a “valiant” game against Baker’s smooth, well-oiled and well-proportioned play.

What a fabulous set of artists.

2 hours ago, Timely said:

I think Barks limited work (meaning ducks only) also limits his appeal. He's the king of ducks... but nothing else!

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

You could make the same argument about many artists with regard to superheroes. 

1 hour ago, Timely said:

Yes but Kirby drew it all (with the exception of ducks!) and that is what we are comparing here.

Unfortunately I think there are shenanigans afoot of the webbed kind.  I just looked again at the results of this regional and it has quite a few more responses than the other three (those have close to identical responses).  When I look at where the votes originate from, we either have several boardies from Singapore, Sweden, and Switzerland or someone is using a re-routing VPN or similar to case additional votes. 

I do not remember seeing these countries in any of the earlier rounds.  I cannot say with 100% certainty this is the case but it does seem at the least peculiar and suspicious.  If so, it is a shame to do this over something as benign and hopefully fun as this game.  On the other hand, I guess if a person(s) are that fanatic and zealous over their love for a particular artist, it is fascinating .

And it could have been so much simpler as I can easily be bribed to rig the results for a comic book or two B|   

Edited by telerites

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Unfortunately I think there are shenanigans afoot of the webbed kind.  I just looked again at the results of this regional and it has quite a few more responses than the other three (those have close to identical responses).  When I look at where the votes originate from, we either have several boardies from Singapore, Sweden, and Switzerland or someone is using a re-routing VPN or similar to case additional votes

I do not remember seeing these countries in any of the earlier rounds.  I cannot say with 100% certainty this is the case but it does seem at the least peculiar and suspicious.  If so, it is a shame to do this over something as benign and hopefully fun as this game.  On the other hand, I guess if a person(s) are that fanatic and zealous over their love for a particular artist, it is fascinating .

And it could have been so much simpler as I can easily be bribed to rig the results for a comic book or two B|   

or Russians

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Unfortunately I think there are shenanigans afoot of the webbed kind.  I just looked again at the results of this regional and it has quite a few more responses than the other three (those have close to identical responses).  When I look at where the votes originate from, we either have several boardies from Singapore, Sweden, and Switzerland or someone is using a re-routing VPN or similar to case additional votes. 

If Fine, Frazetta, or LB Cole are eliminated, then we know there are some shenanigans going on.

5 minutes ago, piper said:

If Fine, Frazetta, or LB Cole are eliminated, then we know there are some shenanigans going on.

lol  I ended up voting to eliminate all three. Not easy choices though. Fine did some fantastic work, but I just think Williamson is the more talented artist overall. Frazetta vs. Heath was a coin flip for me, but I went with the underdog. Cole vs. Eisner was also tough. I favor Cole as a cover artist, but Eisner's strip work was better, and no one could incorporate a logo into a splash/cover like Eisner. 

2 hours ago, telerites said:

We could always go to vote by mail.  hm  The venerable folks on this board should view postage stamps as nostalgic.  

:kidaround:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

4 hours ago, telerites said:

Very sad if true.  I can tell you must be a tech guy.  But, would not surprise me if some Euro boar die posted this poll to Euro barks site.  Don’t want to see any poll Freeped.

Have you decided which way the dimpled chads will go - vote or no vote?

3 hours ago, rjpb said:

Fine did some fantastic work, but I just think Williamson is the more talented artist overall.

Blasphemy, but I too agree.  HOWEVER, this is about GA art and I believe Fine was better than Williamson in the Golden Age.

20 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Very sad if true.  I can tell you must be a tech guy.  But, would not surprise me if some Euro boar die posted this poll to Euro barks site.  Don’t want to see any poll Freeped.

No not a tech guy.  I just play one on the boards (: but really I am not.  The closest I came my last role was supervising our IT division along with several other divisions when I was the Deputy Director of a state agency.   I retired five years ago so I have forgotten anything learned.  Most of it purposefully lol 

All of the pings came from the exact same location not spread out.  We had several countries represented including Romania, Norway, and a few others.  The three I listed above had multiple hits.  

It is still a fun tournament we are having and if others joined in, it just shows we have international appeal :whee:

10 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Have you decided which way the dimpled chads will go - vote or no vote?

Dimpled Chad says that Wolverton was robbed. 

dimpledchad.jpg.37ae7ec046ebde9f3a16b854c6b96f3e.jpg

I closed the surveys.  I will get the brackets/surveys up by tomorrow morning to start the ROAD TO THE FINAL FOUR!!!!!! :news:

Get your signage ready.  Start your chants.  We're close to a champion.

I wish Al McGuire were still around to do color on the rest of the games.  He was always a favorite of mine.  

On 5/8/2020 at 12:04 PM, MrBedrock said:

I voted for Baker knowing that Foster was an infinitely more accomplished artist (possibly the best comic artist ever) simply because Foster wasn't a comic book artist. The GA in the title of this competition implies comic books to me so I used that as a criteria when making tough decisions. Baker had a much larger and more accomplished body of work in comic books.

I agree with you on both counts.  I don't think Foster, Caniff, McCay, and Raymond really belonged in this tournament, although a great case can be made that they are four of the greatest cartoon/comic artists of all time.  I don't think any of those guys have any work originally published in comic books. I suspect that all four have lost votes for this exact reason.

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:

This reprints a lot of his early work stories for DC.  I wish it was a larger size but I'm pleased they something as good as this was published.

https://www.amazon.com/DC-Comics-Before-Superman-Wheeler-Nicholsons/dp/1613451644/ref=sr_1_1?crid=36W81ZS62U9Q&dchild=1&keywords=malcolm+wheeler-nicholson&qid=1589038805&sprefix=malcom+wheeler%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-1

Thanks!  Bought it.