• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

​​​​​​​WE HAVE A WINNER - SEE FIRST POST - GA Artist May Madness
8 8

326 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Should be easy wins for Eisner, Kirby and Wood. 

voted against all 3.

42 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I'm voting Barks over Kirby.  Kirby's best work, by far, was in the SA.  His GA style isn't as appealing to me as some other Timely and DC artists, and I think his romance work was average at best.  In the 60s he hit a high peak.  

Barks, on the other hand, hit a high in the GA that really no other funny animal artist was able to do - draw funny animal stories that were as compelling or more compelling than any other work at that time.  His style and storytelling was so next level that fans identified his works even though they were unsigned - which is completely remarkable.  That Barks comics are so much more collectible than run of the mill funny animals, including Donald Duck comics of the same time, is a powerful testament to his importance. 

Plus, Barks' art is extraordinary.

Having said all that, you're probably right that most here will probably vote Kirby based on his association with CA 1 - which does Barks an injustice.  

Yeah, GA specifically Barks is much better IMO.  In the same way for the Wood vs. Crandall I much prefer Wood, but think of him more as an Atom Age artist while Crandall is much more a GA artist.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

I'm voting Barks over Kirby.  Kirby's best work, by far, was in the SA.  His GA style isn't as appealing to me as some other Timely and DC artists, and I think his romance work was average at best.  In the 60s he hit a high peak.  

Barks, on the other hand, hit a high in the GA that really no other funny animal artist was able to do - draw funny animal stories that were as compelling or more compelling than any other work at that time.  His style and storytelling was so next level that fans identified his works even though they were unsigned - which is completely remarkable.  That Barks comics are so much more collectible than run of the mill funny animals, including Donald Duck comics of the same time, is a powerful testament to his importance. 

Having said all that, you're probably right that most here will probably vote Kirby based on his association with CA 1 - which does Barks an injustice.  

1 hour ago, kav said:

voted against all 3.

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Barks over Kirby should be an easy win (shrug)

54 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Yeah, GA specifically Barks is much better IMO.  In the same way for the Wood vs. Crandall I much prefer Wood, but think of him more as an Atom Age artist while Crandall is much more a GA artist.

53 minutes ago, piper said:

I voted for Barks. (shrug)

I think you're all absolutely right. Completely missing the point it's about Golden Age work.

Next time I won't post while I've got bad insomnia, and put more thought into it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I think you're all absolutely right. Completely missing the point it's about Golden Age work.

Next time I won't post while I've got bad insomnia, and put more thought into it.

Not a fan of GA kirby.  Very crude.  

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Should be easy wins for Eisner, Kirby and Wood. 

As much as I love Wally Wood's art I actually am going with Crandall here. Wood was a stylistic master but Crandall could do everything.

But isn't voting for Barks based on his Duck work doing Kirby an injustice?

4 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Baker vs. Foster is a heavyweight fight... and Kirby vs. Barks will be interesting.

Baker drew some great covers, which matters disproportionately on this site.  But, Foster's art hit a standard that Baker never equalled, despite Baker's significant improvement over the course of his career.

I voted for Baker knowing that Foster was an infinitely more accomplished artist (possibly the best comic artist ever) simply because Foster wasn't a comic book artist. The GA in the title of this competition implies comic books to me so I used that as a criteria when making tough decisions. Baker had a much larger and more accomplished body of work in comic books.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

As much as I love Wally Wood's art I actually am going with Crandall here. Wood was a stylistic master but Crandall could do everything.

I agree with you on this, Richard.  

I feel the same way about Bob Powell.  Alas, he failed to move forward.

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
3 hours ago, thunsicker said:

I just want to make it clear that how I decided to vote should have no influence on how anyone else votes.  You want to say Kirby is the G.O.A.T. and definitely had his start in the GA it would be hard to disagree with that.  You want to consider Wood's Atom Age art as GA, there are many who put everything before Showcase 4 as GA.

That is to say I am not a believer in what I collect rocks what you collect sucks  how I vote rocks, how you vote sucks.

I took a look at the results so far and for some reason the regional with Wood v. Crandall and Kirby v Barks has almost double the amount of votes as the other regionals.

Hopefully folks are voting in all four regionals. 

I am able to see where the vote originated from.  I won't post from where but there do seem to be multiple submissions from a few of the same location.  Not calling any fouls and I do have it set up not to allow multiple submissions but there are ways to get around so honor system should be place. :wishluck:

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

I love a lot of his early stuff.

IMG_4018.jpg

Def good but not close to when he hit his stride in SA.  I wouldnt consider him 'one of the best GA artists when we got guys like Ferzetta and Bill Everett.

20 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I think Barks limited work (meaning ducks only) also limits his appeal. He's the king of ducks... but nothing else!

14 minutes ago, Timely said:

I think Barks limited work (meaning ducks only) also limits his appeal. He's the king of ducks... but nothing else!

You could make the same argument about many artists with regard to superheroes.