• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Mother’s Day! How did Mom/Grandmother shape your comics life
4 4

55 posts in this topic

Not until my high school years was there a real comic shop in town. The only way to get comics was a half hour drive into town to a Rite Aid that would have the Archie Hannah Barbara Series but I didn't always manage to make it monthly but at times, they also sold out of issues before I could make it. 

I had to wait till I grew up to buy online the missing holes in Scooby Doo Archie and Flintstones Archie.

In order to get the DC or Marvels, it was over an hour drive to Shop Rite, we used to do that once every two months......

Green Lantern did get me "grounded" or should I say banned from reading it since at the late 1990's early 2000's they allowed swear words in the book and being raised very catholic mom was not happy to see bad words in my comic book. (Plus, she was raised on the old Gold Key Donald Ducks, Uncle Scrooge, and Chip and Dale. When Donald got mad, he was properly censored with symbols. My aunt wasn't too happy to hear that my grandparents gave me the collection that she and mom built together.)

I did convince her to let me still read the new DC Scooby run at the time after proving that Scooby didn't have a potty mouth too. 

I am lucky to still have all of them in my life. Happy Mother's Day mom!

4 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

For me it was my grandma. She'd always go to garage sales and buy stacks of comics, box them up and send them to me.

In grade school the UPS man would arrive 3-4 times a summer bearing hundreds of comics.

what was the best one you ever got like that from Grandma ??

It was a friend of my mom's who got me into comics. He was into DC horror and used to give them to me after he read them. I was about 7 at the time.

So, my mom indirectly got me into comics. It used to irritate me that when I spread out comics on my bedroom floor to sort or look through them, my mom would come into the room and obliviously walk on them with her big slippers. She just didn't give a mess.

Fast-forward years later as an adult, about 15 years ago, I went to my mom's house to pick up about 10 longboxes I stored there. I was going through the books and had some on the floor. My mom stepped all over them.

At least she didn't throw them out.

My mom would drive me to my comic shops after school on Wednesday.. which were not close to the schools I went to..

She bought me my first comic book at a bookstore and i trashed it like a golden age reader

Also when I was on my way to an estate sale early in the am my car tire blew out on the freeway so she drove me in her car which was definitely far for her.. she spent her whole morning and afternoon helping me pick out comics for 60 cents.. stuff like ASM 300, Harbinger 1, Hulk 340, etc. a couple of my best yard sale hauls have been with her

she doesn't really like violence like i do so it's saying a lot since a lot of the comics are violent :)

EE9A72D0-6445-438E-9499-DC7A030C8AF4.jpeg

E8FEF74D-96CF-4A52-B865-6F51F17DC931.jpeg

AA51A2E2-B0A7-4BD7-8B38-41D4318E0801.jpeg

Edited by littledoom

2 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

It was a friend of my mom's who got me into comics. He was into DC horror and used to give them to me after he read them. I was about 7 at the time.

So, my mom indirectly got me into comics. It used to irritate me that when I spread out comics on my bedroom floor to sort or look through them, my mom would come into the room and obliviously walk on them with her big slippers. She just didn't give a mess.

Fast-forward years later as an adult, about 15 years ago, I went to my mom's house to pick up about 10 longboxes I stored there. I was going through the books and had some on the floor. My mom stepped all over them.

At least she didn't throw them out.

Wow! Some things never change :whatthe:

3 minutes ago, littledoom said:

My mom would drive me to my comic shops after school on Wednesday.. which were not close to the schools I went to..

She bought me my first comic book at a bookstore and i trashed it like a golden age reader

Also when I was on my way to an estate sale early in the am my car tire blew out on the freeway so she drove me which was kinda far for her.. she spent her whole morning and afternoon helping me pick out comics for 60 cents.. stuff like ASM 300, Harbinger 1, Wolverine 340, etc.

she doesn't really like violence like i do so it's saying a lot since a lot of the comics are violent :)

Was SW episode 2 #1 your first comic?

1 minute ago, ChrispyC66 said:
7 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Also when I was on my way to an estate sale early in the am my car tire blew out on the freeway so she drove me which was kinda far for her.. she spent her whole morning and afternoon helping me pick out comics for 60 cents.. stuff like ASM 300, Harbinger 1, Wolverine 340, etc.

Was SW episode 2 #1 your first comic?

yes i loved that movie ... best of the prequels

I am of an older vintage, there were no comic book conventions or LCS.

Everything was newsstand. I had a paper route when i was 10 that fed my comic book collecting habit.

And back issues were flea markets and classified ads in the newspaper. I remember my mom getting up first thing in the morning on Sunday to drive me to the Norton Flea market in MA. It was quite a ways from my house.

She never understood my collecting, lectured me all the time about wasting money on comic books, and yet never once interferred with my collecting. She just shook her head and drove me all over to look at comic books.

She is still the same, she was aghast I bought an AF #15 for 'That much money .. Really ??"  

My father would throw stuff out in a heartbeat, my mother would stop him. The price was eye rolling and a lecture about wasting money, but she just let me do what I loved to do.

Great memories!

Started collecting in '64. By 1966 my mother had given all my collection away to a children's hospital. I have always had multiple collecting interests and whilst on a hiatus from comic books she disappeared the lot one day while I was at school.

She followed this up a coupla' years later by giving all my mint condition meccano/dinky/corgi toy cars away to a poor family. What made it worse was that it was a family consisting of several kids who were less than pleasant to me.

I was not consulted on either occasion and it was done behind my back.

My mum is very OCD and considered my possessions as unnecessary clutter.

Luckily for me I never sat in a chair for too long or doubtless I would have been donated to Oxfam.