• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are These the Same Book?
2 2

116 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

He was.very evasive in an email I received this morning, and also defensive. After  pointing out his lies, he said the trimmed book "presented the best out of many other copies(!) Who cares about presentation when a book has been mutilated! 

Just now, Larryw7 said:

So he's a boardie. :hm

If that's the case, dude needs to be invited here for some 'splainin'.

25 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Was this trade done through eBay? Is this the eBay ID of the original seller of the purple book? Don't want to put an ID out there if the book is now a level or 2 removed.

Sounds like the guy bought it from ebay as a restored copy and then cracked it raw as trade bait.. don't know if the original ebay seller of that restored copy is at fault

8 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I got a raw X-Men 1 in a trade with another collector. He said he purchased the book raw, and the dealer told him it was unrestored. The first scan is what he sent me.

After the first excitement of getting an X-Men 1, I started to wonder if I could check out eBay's advanced search to see where he might have gotten the book. I looked closely at the following scans, and I was aghast when I studied them closely.

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I have a feeling I was taken for a ride. What do you folks think?

s-l1600 (53).jpg

s-l1600 (57).jpg

s-l1600 (58).jpg

s-l1600 (59).jpg

Same book, as everyone noted, but looks like someone pressed it and then redrew the spine line, and not too neatly either. 

Here's what I sent him this morning after he claimed he wasn't trying to pull a fast ome.

On May 26, 2020, at 10:47 AM, Lawrence Sutliff <Larrysutliff@comcast.net> wrote:

>
>
>Yeah, you were trying to pull something over me. You told me you had a raw X-Men 1 that you had in Kentucky. That it needed to be shipped. It's obvious that you didn't have the copy and went on eBay to find one. Then you claimed it was never graded, and you purchased it raw from a dealer who told you it was unrestored. All lies. I mean, you try to roll me by buying a book that has three corners trimmed? That's the kiss of death for many collectors, if I ever wanted to sell it I'd be lucky if could get two grand for it. As for saying I enjoyed the book: Yeah, it was an X-MEN 1. What's not to like? But I didn't know if was a mutilated copy. But something did seem off, and that's why I decided to do a bit of research. I was really saddened by what I found. And several other collectors confirmed it.
>
>Well, I have no idea what to do. This was a private trade so I have no recourse to eBay or PayPal. And sorry, but at this point I have no reason to trust you. From this point on, I'll buy only CGC books, and raws from people I know I can trust(Bob Storms, Jim Payette, etc.). As for you, I belong to the biggest Comics forum on the internet. This will be made public.
>

1 minute ago, ashsaytr said:

I'm not much at the grading... but was the lower staple cleaned or replaced?

The upper staple looks more suspicious to me.

13 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

....and then redrew the spine line, and not too neatly either. 

If I’m looking at the same thing you are, I think that’s a shadow cast by the flash of the camera. 

4 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

The upper staple looks more suspicious to me.

Yeah. As I mentioned, he pressed it and did something amateurish with the spine to solidify it, could be a number of things, before redrawing the black line, which was worn off. Now it looks like the typical All_Things_Comics ultra-amateurish whack and hack, recolor and glue job. In some atypical manner, the G/VG range books he "restored" always wind up looking worse than they did in the first place before he gets his hands on them. 

Edited by James J Johnson

19 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Sounds like the guy bought it from ebay as a restored copy and then cracked it raw as trade bait.. don't know if the original ebay seller of that restored copy is at fault

I don't think the seller is at fault, the buyer just grabbed this copy, the one he said he had in his collection, to screw me.

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

If I’m looking at the same thing you are, I think that’s a shadow cast by the flash of the camera. 

I don't think that's a shadow. No other edge has even a hint of and at that angle, if that was a left edge shadow, there would probably be at least a thin shadow on the bottom or top edges. 

7 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

This was an off eBay transaction. We met thsre, but then quickly moved to email.

How did that work out?  It would be nice to have ebays buyer protection program to fall back on, no?

3 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I don't think the seller is at fault, the buyer just grabbed this copy, the one he said he had in his collection, to screw me.

I'm not following this. Are you saying the person you dealt with bought this after you had the deal? How did you buy a book without seeing any scans of it?

39 minutes ago, shadroch said:

How did that work out?  It would be nice to have ebays buyer protection program to fall back on, no?

Yes it would.