• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 23

22 posts in this topic

Hi all, I recently came across an Action Comics 23 (The First Appearance of Lex Luthor and what became Kryptonite) that was graded as a blue label 0.5 due to it having no back cover, it is an otherwise beautiful book that I think would grade out in the VF range if it were complete. But I actually happen to have a spare back cover for it. So my question is what would happen if I cracked the slab and resubmitted the book with the included back cover loose? How do you think it would be graded with a detached, but now present back cover? Thanks for any responses.

Hi all, I recently came across an Action Comics 23 (The First Appearance of Lex Luthor and what became Kryptonite) that was graded as a blue label 0.5 due to it having no back cover, it is an otherwise beautiful book that I think would grade out in the VF range if it were complete. But I actually happen to have a spare back cover for it. So my question is what would happen if I cracked the slab and resubmitted the book with the included back cover loose? How do you think it would be graded with a detached, but now present back cover? Thanks for any responses.

First step is to be sure it really is a back cover from Action 23. Maybe you've already done this, but you need to carefully compare both the outside and inside of the cover. If it is the correct cover, I think you would be best off getting the back cover professionally attached.

That way you could end up with a high-grade purple label.

And since it is unlikely that the back cover you had would be from the original book, you would get a married cover designation and a purple label.

If it was caught. I have seen many instances where it was not. It depends on the color of the inside front and back cover.

That would be me Jaydog.

Save for the missing back, that is a nice looking book. I can see why you'd want to complete it. Going from a 0.5 PGX to perhaps as high as a CGC 2.0 would be huge. There is one in the comic link auction right now if you want to see what one in that grade looks like. It may be worth the shot. As Ankur said, married covers aren't always caught. But PGX isn't the best at catching or disclosing restoration. So if you decide to go that route it may be a double gamble.

-J.