• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are These the Same Book?
2 2

116 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'm not following this. Are you saying the person you dealt with bought this after you had the deal? How did you buy a book without seeing any scans of it?

It was a trade, and we didn't finalize the deal until I saw a scan. He'd already cracked the book and feigned ignorance of any resto.

14 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

It was a trade, and we didn't finalize the deal until I saw a scan. He'd already cracked the book and feigned ignorance of any resto.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

The old fashioned way.  :wishluck:

15 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I'm still confused. You told him you were looking for a low grade X-Men 1 so he bought one off ebay, cracked it and sent you a scan in the hope you would take it? Possibly cleaning and pressing it along the way?

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:
1 hour ago, littledoom said:

Sounds like the guy bought it from ebay as a restored copy and then cracked it raw as trade bait.. don't know if the original ebay seller of that restored copy is at fault

I don't think the seller is at fault, the buyer just grabbed this copy, the one he said he had in his collection, to screw me.

Tell me if this is correct:

You met *ballard* on eBay and worked out a private trade for the X-Men #1.

You did some research on eBay and found a very similar looking restored X-Men #1 from seller X (name unknown) -- which you believe is the same book you traded for.

21 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'm still confused. You told him you were looking for a low grade X-Men 1 so he bought one off ebay, cracked it and sent you a scan in the hope you would take it? Possibly cleaning and pressing it along the way?

He told me he had an unrestored X-Men 1 that he would trade me for another book of similar valley. I agreed to the deal. He said he had the book, what he did was buy the restored X-Men that I provided scans for, cracked it out, and passed it off as the unrestored copy..

3 hours ago, Cobbledclam said:

100+ percent.🤔😐😳😡😢

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

3 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

That's what got me. 

Lots of tiny speckles and creases match up.  Too many details.

Sorry to see this. :frown:

4 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Tell me if this is correct:

You met *ballard* on eBay and worked out a private trade for the X-Men #1.

You did some research on eBay and found a very similar looking restored X-Men #1 from seller X (name unknown) -- which you believe is the same book you traded for.

Yes, that's the gist.

Yeah. At first he was very defensive,but when I showed him what he said in emails, and then offered to return my book. I think he knew he.was in the wrong.

1 minute ago, Larryw7 said:

Yeah. At first he was very defensive,but when I showed him what he said in emails, and then offered to return my book. I think he knew he.was in the wrong.

Sorry you went through this but glad it's being resolved and you're getting your book back. Let's hope he follows through.

4 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

It would be interesting to see what he does with the X-Men #1, assuming you actually get your book back and the trade is successfully undone.  Did he actually grow a sense of morality, or will he just try to pull one over on someone else?  I'd wager on option B.

Edited by mattn792
My typing sucks today

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

Sounds like the guy bought it from ebay as a restored copy and then cracked it raw as trade bait.. don't know if the original ebay seller of that restored copy is at fault

I dunno. Those reds definitely are a lot brighter in the original sellers pictures Haha. Same book but I'd rather have the one pictured in the slab. 

Guys a piece of but not a total piece of . At least returning book. Feel bad for next guy looking for xmen 1. 

10 hours ago, ashsaytr said:

I'm not much at the grading... but was the lower staple cleaned or replaced?

I agree - the slabbed one is rusty as heck, the raw is shiny.

Replaced?

17 minutes ago, Beige said:

I agree - the slabbed one is rusty as heck, the raw is shiny.

Replaced?

I have done a lot of staple replacement.  Not to sell to unsuspecting buyers but low value DC SA books so I can read them without pages falling all over or the discomfort of reading book with separated cover.  The area around lower staple has all the indications of staple replacement-the prototypical shredded edges.  If OP @Larryw7 can post a pic of centerfold staple area I can say more.  The holes should show some shredding and the staples will not have the bow shape or the even flat appearance but look unevenly pressed flat.  If anyone wants to post a centerfold pic of their own X Men 1 to show the difference that would be great.

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, kav said:

I have done a lot of staple replacement.  Not to sell to unsuspecting buyers but low value DC SA books so I can read them without pages falling all over or the discomfort of reading book with separated cover.  The area around lower staple has all the indications of staple replacement-the prototypical shredded edges.  If OP @Larryw7 can post a pic of centerfold staple area I can say more.  The holes should show some shredding and the staples will not have the bow shape or the even flat appearance but look unevenly pressed flat.  If anyone wants to post a centerfold pic of their own X Men 1 to show the difference that would be great.

I already have the book packed up and I'm ready to send it - after I get my book back firsr.

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Sorry this has happened to you Larry. 

Let's be clear here, this is a very planned deception and attempt to defraud you and he knew he was in the wrong from the very beginning.  Now he's realizing this won't go away and he's willing to reverse the deal for his benefit.  Since he's a boardie he could be nominated for the probation list and he 100% deserves his addition to the ebay blocked users thread.

Since he seems to be returning the book, I won't put him on the Probation thread. If he doesn't send it back,  that's an entirely different story.

17 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Since he seems to be returning the book, I won't put him on the Probation thread.

Can you please reconsider?  The guy is a criminal.  When someone gets busted for something this big they should suffer the consequences. 

People who pull off scams of this magnitude are not committing their first scam.  This dude is dishonest to a shocking degree and has certainly shoplifted, scammed, lied, and cheated his way through life.  Please get that guy out of here.