• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manufacturing Error, DC Cover with Marvel Interior
3 3

89 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, jasoncg1971 said:

Thank you and I AGREE. 

I really could care less about the grade. I would like the FACT recorded for the record there's a Marvel Fantastic Four #246 INSIDE a DC Night Force #2.

Why is this such a HARD concept to understand?

I really wish someone from CGC would read this thread and give me an explanation. As I'm VERY UPSET about this.

UPDATE: I sent CGC a private message directing them to this post. I hope they can clarify why they have chosen NOT to give it a green label with the proper documentation.

That’s ridiculous. They obviously did it for the other guy on ebay. To me this reeks of some grader getting a book that doesn’t matter (in their eyes they probably like what is this even being sent in for). So they just glance at it and say “hmm 7.0”, and move on. Which is wrong. They should make sure none of this is paid for on your part and that you get a free submission.

I hope this happens because I wanna see where this falls, assuming you sell it. Is it a $100 book? Several hundred? Does it get to $1000? I’m curious.

This is worrisome.  I've often wondered how detailed the graders are when it comes to interiors, especially, older, more fragile books.  This makes me wonder what else they've possibly missed.  It's ironic that they can flag a book for the slightest color touch, but when the interior doesn't match the exterior, it gets missed/ignored.

21 hours ago, Yorick said:

I'm actually surprised that the label states "Night Force" rather than Fantastic Four.  I have a coverless book married to an incorrect cover, and they chose to identify the book by it's contents rather than the cover.  If they had at least ID'ed the interior, I suppose you could be happy with the label.

I THOUGHT I would get something like this. Guess I was dead WRONG... TWICE!

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.444211cbed98172a228e2eed971f4a26.jpg

Edited by jasoncg1971

20 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

That’s ridiculous. They obviously did it for the other guy on ebay. To me this reeks of some grader getting a book that doesn’t matter (in their eyes they probably like what is this even being sent in for). So they just glance at it and say “hmm 7.0”, and move on. Which is wrong. They should make sure none of this is paid for on your part and that you get a free submission.

I hope this happens because I wanna see where this falls, assuming you sell it. Is it a $100 book? Several hundred? Does it get to $1000? I’m curious.

I couldn't agree MORE! I've heard NOTHING back from my PM to CGC either. I guess their too busy and too good to reply to an nbhappy customer.

20 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

This is worrisome.  I've often wondered how detailed the graders are when it comes to interiors, especially, older, more fragile books.  This makes me wonder what else they've possibly missed.  It's ironic that they can flag a book for the slightest color touch, but when the interior doesn't match the exterior, it gets missed/ignored.

Very valid points! Makes me think they're NOT doing the job they are being paid for very well. I'm VERY unhappy about this situation. 

All companies make mistakes and, at 5M+ books graded, even a tiny error percentage could mean thousands of slabbed mistakes out there - many of which may not ever be discovered until someone cracks the relevant slab. Your submission, alas, is one of those mistakes. A thousand ring free slabs are fabulous. The guy who gets the rings is always gutted. Ditto labelling errors. 

The only thing that matters is how CGC manage their mistake. I would get in touch with Brittany (bmcmanus@cgccomics.com) and see what she can do to make things right. Good luck :wishluck:

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

All companies make mistakes and, at 5M+ books graded, even a tiny error percentage could mean thousands of slabbed mistakes out there - many of which may not ever be discovered until someone cracks the relevant slab. Your submission, alas, is one of those mistakes. A thousand ring free slabs are fabulous. The guy who gets the rings is always gutted. Ditto labelling errors. 

The only thing that matters is how CGC manage their mistake. I would get in touch with Brittany (bmcmanus@cgccomics.com) and see what she can do to make things right. Good luck :wishluck:

Thanks! I'll contact her. Third time's a charm? We shall see.

12 minutes ago, jasoncg1971 said:

Thanks! I'll contact her. Third time's a charm? We shall see.

She is very well regarded Jason, and takes customer service seriously. Let us know how you get on. 

23 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The only thing that matters is how CGC manage their mistake.

How many chances do they get to fix it? It's absurd that it was send back for review and returned without any change. They're not doing their job.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

How many chances do they get to fix it? It's absurd that it was send back for review and returned without any change. They're not doing their job.

Agreed. The recompense no doubt will take account of the double mistake.

7 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I couldn't agree MORE! I'm VERY disappointed and frustrated! I'm NOT happy at all about their service!

This is not the first time this has happened.

A few years ago, a boardie  bought a GA book from a major dealer. It turned out the interior didn't match the cover and he started a thread about it. Bottom line was the book was sent to CGC. At that point in time, several CGC bigshots were still posting so they almost certainly were aware of the very well read thread.  A few months later, the graded book was posted. Everything was based on the cover, without any mention of the interior.

Perhaps someone who can get the search engine to work can find the thread.

I'm in contact with Jennifer Fuls, as Brittany is currently working with the artists they have coming in this week for private signings.

Jennifer is in the process of contacting the grader to get an explanation as to why it was graded as such... TWICE.

A big part of the frustration comes with waiting.  Waiting for packages to ship.  Waiting for someone to answer the phone.  Waiting for a reply email.

I think CGC will correct the mistake, but unfortunately it will take some patience.

As for that green label Teen-Titans posted above, I think that one was done incorrectly also.  The book should be identified by the interior and not the "married" cover (as @BeepBeep wrote above).

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

This is not the first time this has happened.

A few years ago, a boardie  bought a GA book from a major dealer. It turned out the interior didn't match the cover and he started a thread about it. Bottom line was the book was sent to CGC. At that point in time, several CGC bigshots were still posting so they almost certainly were aware of the very well read thread.  A few months later, the graded book was posted. Everything was based on the cover, without any mention of the interior.

Perhaps someone who can get the search engine to work can find the thread.

That was me.  . It was an Action #94.  When I opened the book up, it had a Tec $109 interior.   After I sent it back to the dealer, they sent it to CGC, to see if they would notice.  They didn't either.  The thread got nasty so, I won't post as link. :frown:  

action 94 tec1.jpg

action 94 tec2.jpg

11 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

That was me.  . It was an Action #94.  When I opened the book up, it had a Tec $109 interior.   After I sent it back to the dealer, they sent it to CGC, to see if they would notice.  They didn't either.  The thread got nasty so, I won't post as link. :frown:  

action 94 tec1.jpg

action 94 tec2.jpg

If I may ask... In a nutshell, why did the thread get nasty?

28 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Because I questioned their grading.  

Reps from CGC or people (members here) responding to the thread got nasty with you?

IMHO, anyone and anything has the right to be questioned. No one person or organization is above being questioned.