• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish 1-101 thread
9 9

383 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

I hope TTA #44 stays in the dark until I have a chance to buy one. xD

I'm right there WITH ya Joe! This is the only copy I have at present and believe it or not, I'm actually GLAD that I bought it when I did! Sure, it was inexpensive, but #44 is rising .... 

Tales to Astonish 44 raw.jpg

I was set up at a show on Long Island around 1988 and the woman next to me was selling a large SA collection she had inherited.  She had priced every book right out of Overstreet and her strategy was to price everything at the Mint price and offer discounts.  Her morning sales were pretty weak so she marked everything down and had a good afternoon. As she was packing up, she found a stack of early TTAs, 35-55 that she had forgotten to put out. She asked me if I wanted them and i told her they were really slow sellers and might be the least valuable SA Marvels from that period. She asked me if Id take the lot for $100 and I said no. She offered $50 and I looked at them more carefully. The 35 had bad color touch and 38 was no better than a very weak VG, so I passed. Finally she offered them at $20, a buck a book, and I had to say yes.

Most of the books were readers, but the 44 was in nice shape. Years later, MCS called it a 5.0 and it sold the first day I listed it. I still have the 35, bad color touch and all.

Someday, when Egghead reaches his rightful place in the MCU universe, ..........