• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Denny O'Neil
5 5

70 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I took it to mean the action was so out of character for Batman that O'Neil walked out in disgust.

Kind of like the wincing moment in the Justice League film when Flash asks Batman "What are your powers?" and Batman answers, "I'm rich." I can't imagine there's a Batman writer since Denny O'Neil who, given that --script draft, wouldn't have scratched that answer and replaced it with "I don't need any."

I doubt I've ever read anything more badass than that... What comic is that "I don't need any" dialogue in?

Just now, littledoom said:

I doubt I've ever read anything more badass than that... What comic is that "I don't need any" dialogue in?

It's not -- sorry for any confusion! I'm just suggesting that O'Neil (or anyone who has since followed him as a writer for Batman) would have written that line in response to the Flash's question in the Justice League movie, where instead Batman gave the very un-Batman answer "I'm rich."

16 hours ago, littledoom said:

Damn this forreal? Been getting messages today about GL 76

Yeah, O’Neil emphasizing on an evolution in how evil menaces don’t just manifest in bug-eyes monsters or mad scientists, but even in the less fantastical and the more earthly matters that can just as much impact the world around us, in tune like with other comics of the time like the Avengers and Black Panther helping out each other.

JMP68D5.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

So now I know for sure I was doing it wrong. I’ve had some of his batman books before, but never opened them as I only bought them for the Adams covers. When I got them I couldn’t have told you who wrote them as I didn’t care then. 

I messed up on that one :frown:

18 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I believe Dennis was watching a movie,  in which batman pulled out a credit card....

And o'Neil while watching the movie and upon seeing Batman pulled out a credit card o'Neil sighed loudly :tink:edit meaning he was exasperated about batman using or the thought that he'd pull out a credit card, not a reflection of himself

I found this link and finally understood why he was fed up with their terrible writing. https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/what-made-legendary-batman-writer-scream-out-loud-during-batman-robin

4 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I found this link and finally understood why he was fed up with their terrible writing. https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/what-made-legendary-batman-writer-scream-out-loud-during-batman-robin

Dang the article name is a lot different that the mentioned sigh lol 

Ya a scream from the "pit of the damned" :roflmao: that's funny! But dang, poor O'Neil haha

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Dang the article name is a lot different that the mentioned sigh lol 

Ya a scream from the "pit of the damned" :roflmao: that's funny! But dang, poor O'Neil haha

When I saw the scene of Bat Credit Card, my reaction was like my eyes looking down the waterfall after I saw George Clooney as Batman and Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy.  Definitely, Denis was braced for it.