• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zero Feedback Buyer Advice
1 1

33 posts in this topic

No way to really with any buyer but 0 increases risk greatly. I have had numerous of those and has always worked out. I would feel better about it depending on the state city it is going to. A house vs apartment or po box. Do research make sure that person lives there. Make sure ebay and PayPal address is the same. I like to think ebay would believe me who has sold on there for 20 years over a 0 feedback but it is Ebay

13 minutes ago, Chazgee said:
A zero feedback buyer, who created his ebay account today, just bought a $650 book from me. Any advice on how to protect myself from a potential scam?

At the very least call PayPal and ask them to verify the account.  PayPal does not want to deal with chargebacks or things like that.  eBay doesn't seem to care since they are never on the hook for anything except for fees.   PayPal has in the past told me that a purchase seemed suspicious and maybe it was best not to go through with it. 

11 minutes ago, littledoom said:

I would do nothing until there's a problem.... why would a zero feedback bother you? We all have to start somewhere right?

Unfortunately, waiting until there's a problem potentially loses me my book. Also, it's not just the zero feedback, it's the fact that the account was created today. I get that we all start at zero and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I'm just being paranoid from the horror stories I've read on these boards. 

3 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

Unfortunately, waiting until there's a problem potentially loses me my book. Also, it's not just the zero feedback, it's the fact that the account was created today. I get that we all start at zero and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I'm just being paranoid from the horror stories I've read on these boards. 

Well if he paid 650.. I'd insure the shipping

A lot of good ideas, checking everything you can ahead.  Insuring it is not relevant to the situation, but I sure would, and I'd also add signature confirmation.  Registered Mail is also in play at that price. 

You also have Seller Protection from both eBay and PayPal if you are shipping to a confirmed address.  The payment should say clearly "Seller Protection Eligible" on it.  If it doesn't, that's your out, if leery about it. 

The zero feedback thing is a tough one.  As said earlier by others, everyone has to start somewhere.  But to cannonball into the deep end at $650, that's a bold move.  Maybe too bold.

For the future, you can alter your eBay settings under Selling Preferences to allow only bidders over a certain feedback to bid or buy.  Other qualifications there, too, such as max strikes, po boxes, etc.

17 minutes ago, bug33fouf said:

add insurance to be covered....

then roll the dice..

(thumbsu

In this case, I'd go the extra step and incur an extra $12 expense by sending it priority registered mail. That will restrict the delivery of the parcel by USPS solely to the addressee, who will be the name, at the address, that ebay/paypal direct the seller for shipping. Believe me, that extra expense will be well worth it and might wind up being essential if the buyer opens a case for non-delivery! 

36 minutes ago, kav said:

If it was me I just wouldnt go thru with the deal.  I'd take the neg then call ebay and have the neg removed.

If the buyer's motives for purchase are disingenuous, I doubt the motive is to neg. If that were the case, he can buy something for far less than $650 and tie that up for a few weeks for that purpose. If there's a fraudulent aspect to this purchase, it would likely be filing a case for "item doesn't match description" and returning something of far less value in the box rather than the $650 item. Google has many switcheroo accounts related of what amounts to a "rock in the box" scam, so named after street vendor sales of "factory sealed electronics" with the item switched out inside. 

Just now, James J Johnson said:

If the buyer's motives for purchase are disingenuous, I doubt the motive is to neg. If that were the case, he can buy something for far less than $650 and tie that up for a few weeks for that purpose. If there's a fraudulent aspect to this purchase, it would likely be filing a case for "item doesn't match description" and returning something of far less value in the box rather than the $650 item. Google has many switcheroo accounts related of what amounts to a "rock in the box" scam, so named after street vendor sales of "factory sealed electronics" with the item switched out inside. 

the motive isnt to neg but he may get angry and neg if seller cancels sale.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

All those precautions would go for naught if buyer merely initiates a return and ships back a german newspaper.

No, there's a perfect defensive measure to counter that scam. I'll PM. I don't want to give a heads up to anyone reading this that may have a return and switcheroo brewing. 

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

No, there's a perfect defensive measure to counter that scam. I'll PM. I don't want to give a heads up to anyone reading this that may have a return and switcheroo brewing. 

Ok but if its open in front of postal employee that is not a sure fire solution-it was mentioned once on boards ebay still denied seller.

4 hours ago, Chazgee said:
A zero feedback buyer, who created his ebay account today, just bought a $650 book from me. Any advice on how to protect myself from a potential scam?

Tell the buyer to buy a bunch of cheap books first from other buyers to gain trust and feedback