• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Silver Surfer 4 Grade Is In

15 posts in this topic

What are you guys seeing that I'm not seeing?  Looks like a 9.0 to me. Has a tiny bit of staple stress on a black/dark cover that wouldn't keep it from a 9.0  (I've seem more staple stress on 9.4s).  Looks like some scraping up top that balances out with 9.4-ish spine corners for a book that age.  Seems like pressing would further decrease the few defects it has.  I'll go out on a limb and call it a "shot 9.2 with a press", but likely (and at least) a 9.0.  Probably an 8.5 as-is.

Here's a 9.0 for reference.  Check out the spine stress, which is (IMHO) appropriate for this grade in a dark cover.  The back of this ebay book is nicer, but on-balance, I think I'd rather have the book in this thread after a press than the ebay thread...I hate spine stress.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-0-SILVER-SURFER-4-1969-Stan-Lee-Thor-Avengers-Loki-Appearance/164229520020?hash=item263cd79a94:g:gxEAAOSwkoVe1xiP

Edited by Westy Steve

I just came here to look at a book I can never afford to buy. sigh* Oh.. but I would say the front cover looks very nice but what is that black line that is just above the surfers right leg? The back cover probably brings it down to 7.5. Very nice sharp corners on this one.  :)

Needless to say, a clean and press will improve the grade.

I'm gonna go with 8.5.  Beautiful copy of one of the greatest SA covers.

A few years ago I was set up at a local show and an older guy came to my booth looking for a Silver Surfer 4.  I had a nice raw copy, about 7.0.  He told me he didn't know anything about comics but he wanted to buy one for his son in-laws birthday.  He also told me he'd never bought a present his son in-law liked lol .  So I took the time to show him graded books in the same grade range and give him some confidence he was buying a nice book and I showed him sales of similar copies so he'd have some confidence he was making a reasonable purchase.  And I gave him my card and told him if his son in-law didn't like them I'd give him all his money back no questions asked.  I suspect this present was a hit lol  

43 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I'm gonna go with 8.5.  Beautiful copy of one of the greatest SA covers.

A few years ago I was set up at a local show and an older guy came to my booth looking for a Silver Surfer 4.  I had a nice raw copy, about 7.0.  He told me he didn't know anything about comics but he wanted to buy one for his son in-laws birthday.  He also told me he'd never bought a present his son in-law liked lol .  So I took the time to show him graded books in the same grade range and give him some confidence he was buying a nice book and I showed him sales of similar copies so he'd have some confidence he was making a reasonable purchase.  And I gave him my card and told him if his son in-law didn't like them I'd give him all his money back no questions asked.  I suspect this present was a hit lol  

Now that's a good father in law!  Mine got me a flannel shirt right out of 1962. It's ugly as could be, but man it's comfy. 

1 hour ago, mysterymachine said:

I just came here to look at a book I can never afford to buy. sigh* Oh.. but I would say the front cover looks very nice but what is that black line that is just above the surfers right leg? The back cover probably brings it down to 7.5. Very nice sharp corners on this one.  :)

Needless to say, a clean and press will improve the grade.

Not sure what that black line is? I pulled it out and held it up to the light and it doesn't seem to be a pen mark.