• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I’m curious how many 9.8s are sitting at CGC right now waiting to be graded.  

I like his comment about waiting til it hits 10k to sell.  How many other collectors/specs/investors are thinking the same thing?  I imagine any shortage of supply right now is simply owners holding out for mo’ money.   If a large percentage of specs decide to let go at 10k, will there be enough buyers to sustain that price?

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m curious how many 9.8s are sitting at CGC right now waiting to be graded.  

I like his comment about waiting til it hits 10k to sell.  How many other collectors/specs/investors are thinking the same thing?  I imagine any shortage of supply right now is simply owners holding out for mo’ money.   If a large percentage of specs decide to let go at 10k, will there be enough buyers to sustain that price?

Accurate opinion....Apple fired Steve Jobs once.....and they've gone against the herd....but back to sustenance or sustainability, I think it will, there are more then 2000 collectors in the world and I'm guessing just as many with deep pockets...but if it is to 'fall off' I hope the 'holders' see the darkness first

8 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Accurate opinion....Apple fired Steve Jobs once.....and they've gone against the herd....but back to sustenance or sustainability, I think it will, there are more then 2000 collectors in the world and I'm guessing just as many with deep pockets...but if it is to 'fall off' I hope the 'holders' see the darkness first

My guess is that most collectors already own their keeper copy. 

12 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yes....:roflmao:

It's like you can see right into my soul

And those that don’t, will most likely be offset by collectors releasing their copy when the price is too good to pass up.

Who really knows though.  Maybe Marvel makes an amazing Venom movie, and ASM 300 9.8s soar to 100k.^^

17 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

And those that don’t, will most likely be offset by collectors releasing their copy when the price is too good to pass up.

Who really knows though.  Maybe Marvel makes an amazing Venom movie, and ASM 300 9.8s soar to 100k.^^

Whether Marvel or Disney or whomever makes an amazing Venom movie isn't the most significant catalyst for price increases on this book.

Aside from TMNT, Venom is the most significant character introduced in the Copper Age, and folks have slowly but surely been coming to that conclusion over the past few years.  Other folks are slower, and it will take them longer to get there, but rest assured, Venom is to the mainstream Copper Age what Wolverine is to the mainstream Bronze Age and this alone will ensure the book continues to go up in value. 

8 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Whether Marvel or Disney or whomever makes an amazing Venom movie isn't the most significant catalyst for price increases on this book.

Aside from TMNT, Venom is the most significant character introduced in the Copper Age, and folks have slowly but surely been coming to that conclusion over the past few years.  Other folks are slower, and it will take them longer to get there, but rest assured, Venom is to the mainstream Copper Age what Wolverine is to the mainstream Bronze Age and this alone will ensure the book continues to go up in value. 

Definitely. I mean even with all the variants and spin off book runs, Venom is getting the most exposure, with Deadpool a close second. Everyone wants to be a symbiote

On 4/1/2021 at 8:17 AM, ThothAmon said:

Couple more for CGC to opine over. With current turn around times I should see these back ... carry the 1 ... sometime in 2022?!

On 4/1/2021 at 8:40 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

If you submit it now you'll get it back in 2022

Since I know absolutely zippo about submitting a book to CGC for grading, can you guys explain how you come up with a 2022 turnaround date if you truly believe your copy of Spidey 300 is worth $5K in today's marketplace?  After all, should your book being going through the Walkthough so-called same day service atx this point then?   ???

The way I see it actually, this whole CGC submission process appears to be rather convoluted and backwards because I am paying them to grade my book and to determine if there's any restoration, and yet it seems like I have to do all this in advance myself if I want to submit a book into them for grading.  Now, let's see if I got this right or not:  :ohnoez:

1)  In order to send a book in for grading, you first have to decide on the grading tier for your book;

2)  The grading tier to be selected is based upon the estimated value of the book;

3)  The estimated value of the book is based upon the condition grade of the book and whether there is any restoration or not; and

4)  Being a collector who knows nothing about grading or restoration detection, and the exact reason why I am sending my Spidey 300 in to them for grading, do I now go back to Step 1 and repeat this endless loop process all over again?  :devil:

Seriously though (or not :bigsmile:), how the heck am I supposed to know whether it's going to be a CGC 9.0 graded copy in the end with some slight restoration on it and I should be submitting it under the Value tier and like you said, wait until 2022 to receive the POS book back.  Or should I really be submitting it under the Walkthrough tier for their so-called same day service because all you guys talk about are CGC 9.8 graded copies which sounds as though they should be worth more than $5K in today's red hot marketplace.  Don't see how they can expect me as a submitting customer to be able to tell the difference between a CGC 9.0 book  from a CGC 9.8 book when we've seen the exact same CGC 9.0 book turned into CGC 9.8 copies by the time it's all said and done and you've paid all your dues to them.  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/1/2021 at 3:48 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 4/1/2021 at 3:45 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If that’s the case, the smart play would be to buy up recently graded 9.6s & resub them down the road.

Exactly (thumbsu

Sounds pretty much like the Peter Principle of comic book grading whereby a book will be continually upgraded upon resub for a fee of course, until the book reaches a point whereby it looks nowhere even close to the grade that's been assigned to it.  lol

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds pretty much like the Peter Principle of comic book grading whereby a book will be continually upgraded upon resub for a fee of course, until the book reaches a point whereby it looks nowhere even close to the grade that's been assigned to it.  lol

No Guarantee of getting a 9.8

They are definitely gambling with the resub

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Since I know absolutely zippo about submitting a book to CGC for grading, can you guys explain how you come up with a 2022 turnaround date if you truly believe your copy of Spidey 300 is worth $5K in today's marketplace?  After all, should your book being going through the Walkthough so-called same day service atx this point then?   ???

The way I see it actually, this whole CGC submission process appears to be rather convoluted and backwards because I am paying them to grade my book and to determine if there's any restoration, and yet it seems like I have to do all this in advance myself if I want to submit a book into them for grading.  Now, let's see if I got this right or not:  :ohnoez:

1)  In order to send a book in for grading, you first have to decide on the grading tier for your book;

2)  The grading tier to be selected is based upon the estimated value of the book;

3)  The estimated value of the book is based upon the condition grade of the book and whether there is any restoration or not; and

4)  Being a collector who knows nothing about grading or restoration detection, and the exact reason why I am sending my Spidey 300 in to them for grading, do I now go back to Step 1 and repeat this endless loop process all over again?  :devil:

Seriously though (or not :bigsmile:), how the heck am I supposed to know whether it's going to be a CGC 9.0 graded copy in the end with some slight restoration on it and I should be submitting it under the Value tier and like you said, wait until 2022 to receive the POS book back.  Or should I really be submitting it under the Walkthrough tier for their so-called same day service because all you guys talk about are CGC 9.8 graded copies which sounds as though they should be worth more than $5K in today's red hot marketplace.  Don't see how they can expect me as a submitting customer to be able to tell the difference between a CGC 9.0 book  from a CGC 9.8 book when we've seen the exact same CGC 9.0 book turned into CGC 9.8 copies by the time it's all said and done and you've paid all your dues to them.  :censored:

I can't honestly answer your question. The book is already graded before I buy it

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

how the heck am I supposed to know

You do need to do a good prescreen yourself (see photos for big fails). Using my ASM 300’s as an example, both will probably be submitted at the $1000 tier and equivalent at CCS. It won’t be cheap or quick.  The only reason I wouldn’t choose the $200 max modern tier (to save money) is if the books are damaged by CGC/CCS your recovery is limited to the tier max you have chosen. So if you really want to submit as $5,000 books, walk through is your only option and it will cost $227 or so each. It’s about $120 each at the $1000 tier. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by ThothAmon

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I understand your frustration. I submitted my first books just a week ago and decided to dip my feet in the water with some inexpensive books at the lowest tier just to see the process better. But I asked a lot of questions on these boards before I sent them in as I found the whole “declared value” thing very confusing. The best advice I received was how much would they cost to replace if CGC loses/destroys them? I have two Amazing Spider-Man 300 that I will submit once I receive these books back and am satisfied with the process/grade. Whether I guess the 300’s to be graded in the low 8’s to high 9’s I am going to submit them under Walkthrough because now a raw book can cost up to 2 grand to replace on eBay.  

Edited by Greatwhite
Grammar

On 4/2/2021 at 10:51 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

And I am sure there is someone or some out there that are going to pay 10K or even 100K, who knows. I know it's not me lol