• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,083 posts in this topic

Just for fun: when I was checking the first hiatus, I discovered that with TTA 62, its unique place in the print schedule was the most likely reason it got ND'd. It occurred to me at that time to check TTA during the second hiatus.  TTA 86 is already an old friend because you never see a normal stamp or a Gold stamp of it. 

TTA 87 struck me as a likely candidate to also meet an odd fate, due again to its weird place in the print queue (it would have been printed at the same time as many of the ones that fell into the 66 hole).   However, when I checked, I discovered that its place in the print queue had changed - instead of being in sync with the westerns and ahead of everything else, it was now in sync with Thor, TOS, FF, ASM, Fury, Avengers & Marvel Tales and was a perfectly normal PV, long before there was any PV stamp duality 

And then this chuffer turned up.  Weird when you're right for all the wrong reasons, isn't it? 

Assume this was a makeweight.  Although, much like the Victorians who believed that God put dinosaur bones in the ground to test people's faith, I am now coming to the conclusion that comic packers in the 1960's threw random comics into the export crates just to screw with comic collectors 50 year later. 

Image 1 - TALES TO ASTONISH 87 Marvel Comics 1966 Incredible Hulk Sub-mariner Stan Lee

Nicely done Rich. If I ever get around to posting my Charlton research you'll be dazzled by the vast array of stamp related quirks. 

I always liked that TTA cover, by the way :bigsmile:

tta87.PNG.3df0cabbdfed0406f8aa91f55bf31dec.PNG

On 2/8/2022 at 8:29 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Nicely done Rich. If I ever get around to posting my Charlton research you'll be dazzled by the vast array of stamp related quirks. 

I always liked that TTA cover, by the way :bigsmile:

tta87.PNG.3df0cabbdfed0406f8aa91f55bf31dec.PNG

You have to love the fact that the Hulk is falling past an advert for his own TV show. 

On 2/8/2022 at 3:20 PM, Malacoda said:

Seriously? 

The price of a DC comic was 40c at this point, btw. 

action comics 495 b.jpg

I think the technical term for that scenario is WTFHHH? Rich. 

On 2/8/2022 at 3:24 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I think the technical term for that scenario is WTFHHH? Rich. 

I can only assume comics that were printed for export, missed the boat and were re-circulated at a discount in the US. The 25c/26c thing makes me think 26c is the Canadian price?  Also, if it wasn't for the fact that this sticker is clearly intended for retail, you could imagine 25c was the wholesale price.  Also, there's about 15 PV's for sale in the UK, so clearly the whole order did not miss the boat. WTFHHH indeed.

On 2/8/2022 at 8:05 PM, Malacoda said:

I can only assume comics that were printed for export, missed the boat and were re-circulated at a discount in the US. The 25c/26c thing makes me think 26c is the Canadian price?  Also, if it wasn't for the fact that this sticker is clearly intended for retail, you could imagine 25c was the wholesale price.  Also, there's about 15 PV's for sale in the UK, so clearly the whole order did not miss the boat. WTFHHH indeed.

Maybe they just didn't have a 51c sticker?

On eBay now, the first example I've seen of this book that has a detectable possibility of being one of the mythical 'make weight' books:

Click...Pointer.png.a93049ecf8cdb1cfcd16aa3fb3451157.pngMakeweight.thumb.PNG.24f25f10d6ce18bd9952ace3d9b9e3e6.PNG

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3b619f95b5478c6203ba5ea2a6f940e7.jpg

Clearly that could be a later 6p, but if it were a 6d, that would put it in the pricing ballpark for the time...

I gathered images of non-comic publications with T&P stamps for a time, and still add them to the files when I see an interesting example. Here's one such '1957' penned example which I spotted on the bay this morning:

1717669807_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.1d5417c4386b2a9c03d0d38ef8fc226a.jpg

I wonder which shipment that arrived in... :grin:

The GCD has three prices for #533 of World Illustrated - a two shilling, a one and six and a one and three:

869910505_WorldIllustrated533GCD.thumb.PNG.93688e866f9b290bb7b7e3a41f1451a2.PNG

Obviously not cheap enough!

1085543986_WorldIllustrated533.thumb.jpg.c7edc1ed6c561df579e183c2b6e14ec2.jpg

On 2/12/2022 at 11:18 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

On eBay now, the first example I've seen of this book that has a detectable possibility of being one of the mythical 'make weight' books:

More likely it is one of the few pre-T & P mags that somehow found their way to the UK (US tourist, returning UK tourist, USAF PX purchase) and was later sold to a secondhand dealer or market trader.

On 2/12/2022 at 5:29 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

More likely it is one of the few pre-T & P mags that somehow found their way to the UK (US tourist, returning UK tourist, USAF PX purchase) and was later sold to a secondhand dealer or market trader.

Ah, you've taken all the romance out of it Albert. Probably true though, your version.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:41 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

The GCD has three prices for #533 of World Illustrated - a two shilling, a one and six and a one and three:

Obviously not cheap enough!

1085543986_WorldIllustrated533.thumb.jpg.c7edc1ed6c561df579e183c2b6e14ec2.jpg

Just for info : From Bryon Whitworth's Guide to Classics illustrated  (of which this World Illustrated/World Around Us was part of).

British Classics Illustrated can be found with five cover prices.

1/- From 1953 to 1955 (Which also listed AUS, NZ and SA on the covers).

1/3 Was the regular price between 1951 -1952 and 1956 -1963.

1/6 Was the regular NZ price.

2/- Was the price for regular AUS editions.*

2/6 This was the price for Hardback Deluxe Editions.

* UK Giant Classics were also 2/-.

I'm not a Classics Illustrated collector but it would be interesting to see the various Countries' Editions so see what, if any, differences there were between them.

Edited by Redshade

Not a US distributed comic, but this book made me laugh.

The cover image looks quite intriguing, doesn't it. Threatening, even. 

1140317931_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.a9355e325de4cdfde7d204b3672aa9ce.jpg

What could the title be? What title would suit the story of these two Gentleman who are clearly at odds with each other over something underhand or illicit?

Oh, right.

Spoiler

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.67998506ec9e75a4f963002c7bda55e8.jpg

Digest/Pocket sized comics really are another world. There are thousands from dozens of publishers. Did Micron really keep producing these things until as recently as 1984? They must have churned them out weekly. Mainly War and Western and Romance. Some of the 1960s Romance covers really are miniature works of art, often by Spanish artists. This isn't a work of art but certainly has an odd title.

elissa.thumb.jpg.558a587ea70573f14b8cfb92558e703f.jpg

And as for this one from World Distributors?

1985240746_breachoftrust.thumb.jpg.d1373fea3072b91e1840e81a8d9a60a2.jpg

Collecting is a very strange hobby. It is basically the purchase of items that will never be used, for to do so would decrease their value. They will be put in plastic, cataloged, and enjoyed from a distance. Yet collectors will pay lots of money for this privilege.

and,

It is a question with no logical answer. Only the collector knows why they buy the things they buy. I know people who collect only 12” LPs. I also know others who value paper items over anything else. There are some who mostly buy 7” singles. And there’s one Italian friend named ‘Art’ who prides his bootleg collection over all else. I can say I’ve spent more money on a single Genesis LP than almost any other single thing I’ve ever bought. “We are all sick, sick, sick!” Art would rightfully say.

and, 

This is a very simple theory yet it impacts almost every facet of our lives. It says that people will tend to value that which is rarer regardless of quality. An example would be to sell two identical items and put RARE or LIMITED EDITION on one of them. Not only will people be more likely to buy the RARE one (other things being equal) they will also assume the rarer one is better quality.

s that most Genesis fans will never be able to enjoy these items. The irony is that those who keep these recordings from the fans are also spiteful that there are others who keep rare items from them.

and, 

It is for these reasons that some collectors will not share their rare recordings, unless given an “equally rare” recording. It’s like a form of currency. One very rare recording may be worth two semi-rare recordings. But once it is seen, heard, copied, scanned, or photographed it loses its perceived value. Unfortunately, this mentality discourages sharing and encourages selfishness as sharing reduces the rarity.

So lots of people keep rare items in the hopes that they can find someone “worthy” of sharing it with. The result is that most Genesis fans will never be able to enjoy these items. The irony is that those who keep these recordings from the fans are also spiteful that there are others who keep rare items from them.

and

When I began my website many years ago I had to make a decision. I have spent many thousands of dollars on my collection. It involved countless hours of work and research, going to conventions, or reading through Goldmine (which is a huge task). Should I put my scans on a website that anyone with a computer can spend a few seconds and view for free? Should I offer an MP3 of a record that I searched years to find and spent thousands of dollars to buy? For me the only answer was yes, simply because the alternative was unthinkable.

Genesis collecting is not a one-man task. I have been helped by more people than I can count. People send me endless scans, copies, information, rare collectibles, and yes rare recordings. It would be hypocritical to take all that people have given, and then tell others “I won’t share”.

Above from the Genesis Museum website,

http://www.genesismuseum.com/zen.htm

Seems we are not the only ones stricken by this strange affliction, which seems to be curable only by shuffling off this mortal coil.

For a minute there you had me quite worried as I thought it was you who collected Genesis records Albert. 

Collecting is a very strange hobby. It is basically the purchase of items that will never be used, for to do so would decrease their value. They will be put in plastic, cataloged, and enjoyed from a distance.

That may apply to the vast majority who post here. It is titled the CGC boards/forums after all. But there are exceptions. I read the stuff I buy and then throw it in a heap on the floor. I played all the LPs I used to buy. Perhaps I'm wrong and  @Get Marwood & I is planning on doubling CGC's turnover and encapsulating all his Miller Charltons etc?

On 2/21/2022 at 9:25 AM, themagicrobot said:

For a minute there you had me quite worried as I thought it was you who collected Genesis records Albert. 

That may apply to the vast majority who post here. It is titled the CGC boards/forums after all. But there are exceptions. I read the stuff I buy and then throw it in a heap on the floor. I played all the LPs I used to buy. Perhaps I'm wrong and  @Get Marwood & I is planning on doubling CGC's turnover and encapsulating all his Miller Charltons etc?

No chance of that. They'd only f:censored: the labels up, if I did.

On 2/20/2022 at 10:53 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Collecting is a very strange hobby. It is basically the purchase of items that will never be used, for to do so would decrease their value.

There's a lot of it about Albert.

My brother collects postage stamps but he doesn't lick 'em and stick 'em and mail 'em.
My cousin collects rare coins but he doesn't run to the corner shop to spend them.

My aunt collects Victorian chamberpots but the less said about that the better.
I'll get me coat.