• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,105 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2022 at 5:50 AM, Malacoda said:

Greetings, Brains Trust, 

I just want to check - this example of Steve's from a while back - it is very rare to see a comic/book re-stamped with a second T&P stamp, right?  There are loads that have the triangular sale price stamp, and other sale stamps, and other mad rando stamps. but two different roundey price & number T&P stamps are super-rare, right? To be clear, I'm not asking about the changeover from the old, big messy black stamp to the smaller blue stamp, I mean any re-stamping where it acquires a new number from the numbering system.  Ta.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.02758e66d8fb60d5fc239a92e764bfb4.jpg

I certainly don't recall many examples of that... although I also think we've seen at least a couple.  I may be thinking of books with multiples of the same T&P stamp, though.

I find it amusing they had so much trouble selling this one...  Farnham's Freehold is generally considered Heinlein's worst book.  Certainly not one I cared for.

On 10/27/2022 at 4:51 PM, OtherEric said:

I find it amusing they had so much trouble selling this one...  Farnham's Freehold is generally considered Heinlein's worst book.  Certainly not one I cared for.

I devoured all of Heinlein as a boy in the 60s. I read the later novels as an adult but some of his aw-gee-shucks homely tweeness* was hard to swallow as a grown-up.

* Thst's the best way I can think of to describe what I mean. If you know, you know.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:21 PM, Redshade said:

I devoured all of Heinlein as a boy in the 60s. I read the later novels as an adult but some of his aw-gee-shucks homely tweeness* was hard to swallow as a grown-up.

* Thst's the best way I can think of to describe what I mean. If you know, you know.

I know.  I don’t mind it the way some people do, but I get what you mean.

One of my favorite projects was getting all of Heinlein’ pre-war pulps.  Fascinating looking at the older books, and in a couple cases earlier versions of the stories 

On 11/3/2022 at 12:14 PM, Malacoda said:

Oh please tell me that's real.  Lie to me, I'll believe you. 

What do you mean? Is it no good? I'm not up on tattoos - the bloke that did it came highly recommended?

On 11/3/2022 at 12:33 PM, Kevin.J said:

Now you just need a line through it and a big 6 in marker pen to make it authentic :) 

hm

On 11/3/2022 at 3:54 PM, Yorick said:

I think I need one of those too!

The tattooist was a chap called Rick Yo. He's apparently very highly regarded in the UK. 

On 11/3/2022 at 7:07 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

What do you mean? Is it no good? I'm not up on tattoos - the bloke that did it came highly recommended?

No. no, it's just that....I've found out what the stamps are for.  Apparently, Fred was a massive Satanist. It's the number of the beast.  Sorry...should have told you before.  I should just pop that arm off if I were you.  Just to be on the safe side. 

image.gif.b7d71bd598fcd98d33072d0b9c36d382.gif

On 11/3/2022 at 10:12 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

What do you think? :)

Seriously, it's very cool. Very personal, as a tattoo should be. Did it hurt much?  ( You're going to tell us it's a transfer now, aren't you?)  

On 11/3/2022 at 7:34 PM, Malacoda said:

No. no, it's just that....I've found out what the stamps are for.  Apparently, Fred was a massive Satanist. It's the number of the beast.  

Wasn't that the three Patricks? I went for 10 on purpose, seeing as how Fred stopped at 9. 

On 11/3/2022 at 7:40 PM, Malacoda said:

Seriously, it's very cool. Very personal, as a tattoo should be. Did it hurt much?  ( You're going to tell us it's a transfer now, aren't you?)  

Ta. It was agony. 

On 11/3/2022 at 7:44 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Ta. It was agony. 

So, did you base it on just a love of the stamp or is it the mystery aspect that lured you in? I mean, if someone figured out what the stamps were for, would you have to kill him?  (asking for a friend). 

On 11/3/2022 at 7:51 PM, Malacoda said:

So, did you base it on just a love of the stamp or is it the mystery aspect that lured you in? I mean, if someone figured out what the stamps were for, would you have to kill him?  (asking for a friend). 

I'd be more inclined to kill him for the length of time it's taking him to find out.

On 11/3/2022 at 8:20 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

On account of being 108?  

I did actually find an Ethel.  Unfortunately she only spent 2 weeks putting price stickers on comics (her memory, possibly not actually comics) before she got promoted to the office.  She left to have her daughter (who is now 60).  I'm amazed people remember this stuff at all.  I know I did a bunch of temp jobs 30+ years ago, but I couldn't tell you anything about them.