• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,105 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2022 at 12:07 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

What do you mean? Is it no good? I'm not up on tattoos - the bloke that did it came highly recommended?

I think your tattooist nailed it.  Blurry just like the authentic ones!!  (:

On 11/4/2022 at 1:19 AM, Malacoda said:

I did actually find an Ethel.  Unfortunately she only spent 2 weeks putting price stickers on comics (her memory, possibly not actually comics) before she got promoted to the office.  She left to have her daughter (who is now 60).  I'm amazed people remember this stuff at all.  I know I did a bunch of temp jobs 30+ years ago, but I couldn't tell you anything about them. 

Are you going to update us on what you've learned then? :popcorn:

On 11/4/2022 at 8:26 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Are you going to update us on what you've learned then? :popcorn:

I've got a theory, but it's probably actually impossible to prove. At the moment, I may possibly have the answers to more than a dozen questions we've raised, but this theory raises other questions I don't yet have the answers for.  All will be revealed.  Patience.......

It wasn't a tattoo of course, but a stamp sent to me by the multi-talented Yorick in what was one of the the best and funniest comic parcels I've ever received from a board member. I was hoping for a bit more winding up on it, but there you go.

He made me a GM&I stamp too - here they both are:

Spoiler

1434097086_thumbnail(3).thumb.jpg.ea8a33cf73f93c307b8acebadf0c80df.jpg

He completely fooled me to start by placing the 9d stamp on a low grade copy of a certain book which we know couldn't possibly have it and the old heart was racing until I spotted it was numbered '10'. I won't post it, as the images get out onto Google via the bots and I don't want to be accused of circulating fake versions! 

Anyway, it was a bloody good ruse and had me smiling for a week. 

Thanks again @Yorick - best laugh I'd had in ages! :bigsmile:

On 11/5/2022 at 2:44 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

a GM&I stamp too

That's too bad it isn't stamping as cleanly as the 9d.  If you ink it up and then stamp it once on a scrap paper, subsequent stampings may be clearer.

That's a great looking Wonder Woman now!!

At least a few genuine keys mixed in there.  You’re right, an interesting cross section.

note to self:  try to find a vintage issue of Marvelman or one of the related titles as a type sample for my collection.  My collection of UK books prior to the mid-70’s is nonexistent other than a couple of T&P stamped books.  

On 11/7/2022 at 7:43 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

From a recent house clearance.

Obviously not a serious collector as we would understand the term, this lad's choices were all over the place, but it gives us an insight into what was in circulation at the time. His local outlet, it seems, held all the leading publishers' output.

Maybe we forget that the overwhelming majority of comic book sales were to casual readers, and only a minority of obsessives such as our good selves were intent upon building up a coherent portfolio.

None of his lot were bagged, they were contained in a scruffy plastic shopping bag. I have given them an airing, but they are still a bit musty.

comiccoll1 (2).jpg

comiccoll2 (2).jpg

comiccoll3 (2).jpg

comiccoll4 (2).jpg

comiccoll5 (3).jpg

comiccoll6.jpg

comiccoll7 (2).jpg

comiccoll8 (4).jpg

Great haul! Some real keys there.  Long time period. Mostly 60's comics but some of the magazines are 70's and 80's....you can see this guy's tastes change as he gets older. 

Not sure if this has been covered before, but here are a couple of ads from a Top Sellers (alias T & P) mag, showing their other items, with no stamps, but all stickered up ready to fly off the shelves.

They were, however, obtainable only from 'good' newsagents. Wonder how they assessed the moral standard of their business partners.

comic1 (3).jpg

comic2 (2).jpg

comic3.jpg

comic4.jpg

Edited by Albert Tatlock
scan added.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:13 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

They were, however, obtainable only from 'good' newsagents. Wonder how they assessed the moral standard of their business partners.

Fred slyly hired a number of ex coppers into the firm. One of them, George Jones, was the Head of Obscene Publications (oh how I want that to be his actual job title!) and part of his job was to go around the newsagents checking what was on the top shelf.  Before we get too excited, we should remember that Harold Robbins novels were considered obscene publications (and not just because of the quality of the writing).  

On 11/11/2022 at 9:13 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Not sure if this has been covered before, but here are a couple of ads from a Top Sellers (alias T & P) mag, showing their other items, with no stamps, but all stickered up ready to fly off the shelves.

comic1 (3).jpg

comic2 (2).jpg

comic3.jpg

comic4.jpg

They look cool, don't they Albert. I mentioned them in the DC thread:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/415409-dc-uk-price-variants/?do=findComment&comment=11577833:)