• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,083 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2024 at 7:10 PM, Redshade said:

Alas my bid of £32 was not high enough.

Ouch.  I hate losing by a quid. I'd rather pay more than I wanted and then forget I overpaid than get pipped at the post and never forget it.  Condolences.

Seth Meyers Sarcasm GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

On 4/22/2024 at 8:49 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Love the price sticker. 

Yes, I thought that you would Steve that's part of the reason I had a stab. I left a bid of £32 when it was at £10.50 yesterday and I was 75% certain that I would win it. I wonder who it was?

On 4/22/2024 at 8:52 PM, Malacoda said:

Ouch.  I hate losing by a quid. I'd rather pay more than I wanted and then forget I overpaid than get pipped at the post and never forget it.  Condolences.

Seth Meyers Sarcasm GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Yes, a bit frustrating in retrospect (I have 20/20 vision in retrospection) I left a pre-bid of £32 and the other chap must've left a higher amount (duh!) and the system just went up to the next highest bid for him.

On 4/22/2024 at 8:54 PM, Redshade said:

Yes, I thought that you would Steve that's part of the reason I had a stab. I left a bid of £32 when it was at £10.50 yesterday and I was 75% certain that I would win it. I wonder who it was?

That one doesn't turn up often. Skunky and the other two do, so maybe that had a bearing. When I was chasing the Bell Features books, there was always fierce competition on the first copy, then it tailed off a subsequent copies emerged. So likely only a handful of collectors after them. Some seller has loads of the Conquistadors, and can't sell them for a tenner anymore. 

On 4/22/2024 at 8:58 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Some seller has loads of the Conquistadors, and can't sell them for a tenner anymore. 

And a few hundred Skunky if you recall a previous conversation.

On 4/22/2024 at 9:01 PM, Redshade said:

And a few hundred Skunky if you recall a previous conversation.

I do, yes. Conquerors, not Conquistadors. I haven't woken up properly. Fell asleep in front of the snooker.

On 4/23/2024 at 12:09 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

Was it Eddie Charlton v Cliff Thorburn?

If so, don't bother waking up.

Tha's tekking mi back a bit theer Albert o'd lad.

On 4/23/2024 at 12:09 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

Was it Eddie Charlton v Cliff Thorburn?

If so, don't bother waking up.

Back in the day you could sleep eight hours and they'd still be on the first frame :bigsmile:

I used to like Steady Eddie. Selby is in the same mould. 

On 4/23/2024 at 7:16 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Back in the day you could sleep eight hours and they'd still be on the first frame :bigsmile:

I used to like Steady Eddie. Selby is in the same mould. 

Eddie Charlton's middle initials,

zzz.jpeg

On 4/23/2024 at 9:40 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Eddie Charlton's middle initials,

zzz.jpeg

True, but at least his comics gave you more.

On 4/24/2024 at 2:46 PM, Malacoda said:

OK guys, I thought I'd better alert you to this bargain. £300. Empty Weetabix box.  Thank me later. 

image.thumb.png.d4938e31abdfa9a6fdd81efca1764f02.png

DrWhoWTF.gif.09eb73df1631cb38ebd0b27af6826aa8.gif

On 4/25/2024 at 10:47 AM, Malacoda said:

You're examining this because it might actually be a rare Charlton, right? :baiting:

:bigsmile:

I used to love those Doctor Who Weetabix promotions. I wouldn't be lying, if I told you I can remember to this day the thrill of putting your hand inside that box and pulling out those cards :cloud9:

On 4/25/2024 at 10:51 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

:bigsmile:

I used to love those Doctor Who Weetabix promotions. I wouldn't be lying, if I told you I can remember to this day the thrill of putting your hand inside that box and pulling out those cards :cloud9:

I don't remember them at all, but I was probably off the Doctor by then.  I remember the Brain of Morbius as being really gruesome and scary (i.e. brilliant) but after that I was out. I think I watched intermittently, but after Lalla Ward's comedy regenerations and the robot dog, I was out for 25 years. 

On 4/25/2024 at 11:53 AM, Malacoda said:

I don't remember them at all, but I was probably off the Doctor by then.  I remember the Brain of Morbius as being really gruesome and scary (i.e. brilliant) but after that I was out. I think I watched intermittently, but after Lalla Ward's comedy regenerations and the robot dog, I was out for 25 years. 

Masta!

I know what you mean, the show was capable of delivering the most extreme highs and lows. My love for it is well documented elsewhere, but at it's best, it was the best.

On 4/25/2024 at 12:07 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Something you don't see often in geography - two from the same eBonk seller:

MMmmmm. And the Miller stamps are both 6d's which makes it look like they both got sent back to the wrong distributor but then re-priced and sent back out anyway, because....why wouldn't you?

I note 70 is a 1 but 74 is still only a 2.  The usual DC chaos.