• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,077 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2024 at 6:18 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

What kind of cheese is that?  Browser, sorry. 

Do you not see that on the menu when you right click a pic on ebay?  It's new.  For a while I was having the same issue you were with pics, then that popped up. 

On 4/16/2024 at 6:24 PM, Malacoda said:

Rest assured I will be quoting that out of context at every opportunity. :devil:

Thank you Lawrence :bigsmile:

On 4/16/2024 at 6:26 PM, Malacoda said:

Do you not see that on the menu when you right click a pic on ebay?  It's new.  For a while I was having the same issue you were with pics, then that popped up. 

Nay and thrice nay. Thou must be using a newfangled browser.

On 4/16/2024 at 6:27 PM, Malacoda said:

Whoa! Page 300. Congrats, everyone. 

Yes, Kev's relentless isn't he. We should have a prize for whoever lands the 6,000th post I think. 

On 4/16/2024 at 6:39 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, Kev's relentless isn't he. We should have a prize for whoever lands the 6,000th post I think. 

Yeah, but you know I'll just post a new hiatus theory and bag it (along with the 7,000th and 8,000th at the same time). 

On 4/16/2024 at 6:42 PM, Malacoda said:

Yeah, but you know I'll just post a new hiatus theory and bag it (along with the 7,000th and 8,000th at the same time). 

Only two thousand posts? There's no way you'd ever post an abridged version of a hiatus theory.

On 4/16/2024 at 6:48 PM, OtherEric said:

And if my calculations are correct, no less than 75 of those pages contain posts related to the distribution of US published comics in the UK, at least tangentially.

Correct. Or as I like to call them, my ones :D

On 4/16/2024 at 4:06 PM, Kevin.J said:

I dont care about the stamps.

On 4/16/2024 at 6:17 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

LAHFight!.gif.d9561b250b62178b35e4f71432e1d42e.gif

You really dont want me to start caring about stamps, do you ? :baiting:

lol Laurel & hardy are the greatest comedy duo of all time, one of the few things that still makes me laugh.

Things I found funny when I was a kid, even up to just a few years ago just doesnt do it anymore, but Laurel & hardy never gets old for me.

Edited by Kevin.J

On 4/16/2024 at 6:48 PM, OtherEric said:

And if my calculations are correct, no less than 75 of those pages contain posts related to the distribution of US published comics in the UK, at least tangentially.

Yes, indeed.

The original thread has thrown out many roots, branches and even twiglets in a multitude of directions, but I am happy with that.

The material may have originally been published in the US, but much of it has reached us here in the UK by circuitous routes, and I have greatly enjoyed reading about Brazilian and Mexican reprints, and all the research about it.

Below are a few Archie Digests, how they reached our shores I have no idea, but they assuredly did, as I have just taken delivery of them this afternoon from a local auction house, buried among a hotchpotch of other juvenilia.

The stickers price them in Rands, the currency of South Africa.

I have Googled Intermag, and found there a website with a similar thrust to this thread here, and will post a link in case anyone is interested.

https://southafricancomicbooks.blogspot.com/2013/05/chronology-of-south-african-comic-books.html

comicarchie1.jpg

comicarchie2.jpg

On 4/18/2024 at 7:06 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

....and here is a South African version of Batman # 140........

comicbatman140.jpg

I love that big, awkward looking 15c price font 

Capture.PNG.8851e24182371e1d711c54e9893dcd80.PNG

One for the kerning enthusiasts to marvel at...

DC, sorry.

On 4/19/2024 at 5:46 AM, OtherEric said:

In today.  Nothing major, just a UK variant that somehow made it back to me in the US.  Bronze, but in the time frame of the general topic:

Super Friends 11 UK.jpg

You'd be forgiven for thinking that was No.1.

The Super Friends were pencificated from issue 10 to 47. I wonder if anyone actually collected the title, from the shops, and noticed the transition from stamp to printed price?

Our cover star friends seem to be fixated on the stamp here...

Capture.thumb.PNG.0c41f9ab4e6e53fa0e1fa908dcf8a310.PNG

...imagine their surprise when a 12p printed price arrived the next issue...

Capture.PNG.0f79ad61fa868c8b1d652f55a77031d9.PNG

I posted some more evidence that WDL distributed Dell UKPVs over in my Dell UKPV thread in the week. Best place to post it, I thought. Anyway, it indicated that the first Dell UKPVs would be on sale in the UK in March 1960. In theory, the first Archie and Marvel UKPVs would have been arriving around the same time. Good times!

The first two Marvels, as we know, were the two 58s, Gunsmoke Western and JIM. Only Gunsmoke Western carried the Miller distribution indicia data - the T&P details were absent from their inaugural UKPV issue:

GunsmokeWestern589dLMMay60.thumb.jpg.03780f887bae28b20d3de89511271d15.jpg JourneyintoMystery589dNoTP-IMay60.thumb.jpg.781a70e405a58b720b48f188d7702a45.jpg

So if anyone had their eyes open, and spotted the UK printed pricing in that first period, the only books they'd have been able to identify the distributor on would be the Miller Gunsmoke.

What's the point of this rambling...?