• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,066 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Garystar said:

Yes - red rose house of Lancaster - war of roses and all that. 

Of course, yes. Maybe a Lancashire sweet shop :)

11 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Love the stamps. Even miss the Comic Code stamps on modern (not me!) books. Horror Monsters No 7 appears to be our New Series No 1 with a cute RV stamp. Issue No 9 is oddly our No 7. How does that work? And was the "New Series No 7 2/6" over printed here in the UK or done by Charlton?? I think we should be told....

Tell me about it! You can't find one reference to RV anywhere online and every single avenue I have pursued leads nowhere.

Here are how the issues plot by the way Robot for Horror & Mad:

hm.PNG.4e621f4c439a87323055b43d8e09554d.PNG

mm.PNG.5c66c9ca6aba2f0969733079da3fc8f7.PNG

And we have the Black Zoo too (Zoo Too?):

1255855673_HorrorMonsters1RVStampExampleB.thumb.jpg.7df5694884cf5a19e4bddec6b023037d.jpg

And the Vamps:

1188140837_WerewolvesandVampires1(26).thumb.png.81311f02f65346b4bf3f4adc1fc317d8.png

I've seen the RV Series shield on other publications too, so maybe they fill some of the 'horror' gaps:

422624528_s-l1600(1).jpg.46251d7c63bd50ee3e39a8bc724163e3.jpg 298875467_s-l1600(11).thumb.jpg.5867ffd83420152a66aab13821ef6ed3.jpg

And I tried over at the Comics UK site the other month - nothing so far:

774836162_rvcomicsuk.thumb.PNG.a768fe04b3d55438c24b231a0497bab6.PNG

Welcoming bunch.... 9_9

45 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Magnifying glass time. Do my eyes deceive me or is Famous Monsters of Filmland No 2 changed to No 1 (along with a T&P teepee)?

FMOF NO 2.jpg

Good spot Robot! (that rhymed) I never noticed that before :grin:

Odd isn't it, given the massive lower right cover blurb!

2nd.PNG.cc310ba512e77aa64d09de588f58ecb1.PNG

Evening All :)

Not my copy, lifted from eBore, but has anyone got one of these?

Read that corner blurb. My God in Heaven, it's so galactically awful that I want to buy it lol

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.91d654cfde10e0c539fcbb613271a788.jpg

No Country is safe from its efficient operations! Unless their Y agents wear red socks that is. 

Let's hope for the Barman's sake that Kung Fu Rand never trod in dog sh:censored:t earlier.

Hi-yuck!  :eek:

7 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

"U.K. Edition"  :frustrated:

Course he would Robot. It would be easier to list what he wouldn't sign. Didn't sign, even. 

Bought one brand new. Cost me 1/6 then. Bought another a decade ago god knows why. There was only ever this one issue of "The Man from S.U.N.D.A.Y" with very good reason. The art is supposedly by Mick Anglo who had spent the previous ten years drawing a quite acceptable  "Marvelman". Perhaps he drew "Charles Rand" in the dark as the character's heads, arms and legs don't seem in the right proportion to their bodies.

charles-rand-1 (2).jpg

3 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Bought one brand new. Cost me 1/6 then. Bought another a decade ago god knows why. There was only ever this one issue of "The Man from S.U.N.D.A.Y" with very good reason. The art is supposedly by Mick Anglo who had spent the previous ten years drawing a quite acceptable  "Marvelman". Perhaps he drew "Charles Rand" in the dark as the character's heads, arms and legs don't seem in the right proportion to their bodies.

charles-rand-1 (2).jpg

Being an Agent Y, was he RandY?  Hid the sausage and all that with the hot chicks of the sixties?

I've translated the wording blurb:

Capture.PNG.e8243f43bfb2b84b16706bb2670029c6.PNG

"Charles Rand, rocking it in a red all in one, set off nicely with a simple plain white belt, smashes some beardy bloke from abroad in the face called Mr Hummitan Ilplayit. His mate Barry Pensacopy from Hillsborough is moving in but he'll get a swift kick in the nuts too if he aint careful. Later, Rand gets it on with the local hot chicks before completing the mission in a new woolly jumper he bought at a street fair in Delhi. Will it all go to plan? Yes of course, I've just told you it did haven't I?"

Just now, themagicrobot said:

Were Williams in Germany (who produced 3 issues of Charles Rand to our one) the equivalent of Thorpe and Porter here? In the 1970s I had a few Die Spinne and one lone Bags Banny.

Die Spinne.jpg

Me don't know Robot.

Had a Spinne though, or two, too, back in the day...

208836211_DieSpinne.thumb.jpg.32ec45abb8508fbae92bbecccb88eddb.jpg

Die Spinne, Die!

On 2/17/2021 at 9:06 PM, themagicrobot said:

For taking this thread to realms undreamt by the CGC forums you win a No Prize

Cheers :grin:

We've wandered off track a bit in this thread I think, which is OK as it has sort of developed more into a discussion about all things relating to US publications distributed in the UK. For the purists among us, I will be posting two full journal summary pages over at the Pence Palace at some point so that all the salient, date sequential information that we have uncovered isn't lost to those who want to cut through the fluff. So, as with my other threads, those journal pages will stand as the data record, and this thread can be for the discussion of it and anything else loosely connected to it.