• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can You Believe It? Another Stupid Ebay Question
2 2

14 posts in this topic

OK. I'm trying to send six comics to a buyer. I'm putting these comics, protected by cardboard on each side, in a 9" x 12" bubble mailer. I just weighed the package, and it was 1 pound. I put in my dimensions, 12" x 9" x 1" and my weight, 1 pound. The cheapest option I can find is USPS First Class Package, which is $7.50. Obviously, I'm not in the know, but it seems that mailing a 1 pound envelope, even though it's treated as a package, shouldn't cost $7.50 to mail.

Am I doing something wrong, or does seem to be the correct cost for postage?

As always, I appreciate any advice you can give me.

3 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

OK. I'm trying to send six comics to a buyer. I'm putting these comics, protected by cardboard on each side, in a 9" x 12" bubble mailer. I just weighed the package, and it was 1 pound. I put in my dimensions, 12" x 9" x 1" and my weight, 1 pound. The cheapest option I can find is USPS First Class Package, which is $7.50. Obviously, I'm not in the know, but it seems that mailing a 1 pound envelope, even though it's treated as a package, shouldn't cost $7.50 to mail.

In today's world, that seems like a bargain to me...

9 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

it would cost even more than $7.50 that if it was going from east of the Mississippi river to the West coast

13 oz is the 1st class envelope  limit (though googling would show some listing it as 16 oz)  Over that and you're looking at Priority Mail & destination zones

I started using Pirate Ship from a post I saw here which can make use of USPS 'cubic' rates if your package is under a cubic foot in size. Not sure if Paypal/Ebay make use of that also.  Over 13 oz and you're paying over $7 no matter what w/o using Media Mail

Yup, my understanding has always been 13oz is the limit for First Class.    If you take it to the post office you can go with Parcel Post but if I were the buyer I'd happily pay $8 and get it within 2-3 days rather than waiting a month.    It amazes me that people whine about saving $3-$4 and then spend a month checking the tracking on an item-- isn't your time worth something (which I why I won't walk into a post office)?

I was just talking to a fellow vintage comics collector about a well known dealer-- I was remarking how great his grading is.   I'm an extremely strict grader and seldom do dealers line up with my opinion-- this one does.   The other guy agreed but then said "but his shipping prices are high".    And they aren't cheap-- I think it's a flat $14 or something like that but he packs and ships incredibly fast and I have my books within three days of making a purchase.   This same guy will pay $6 for a coffee at Starbucks everyday.

Edited by AndyFish

Going to the EBAY Shipping calculator entering in your dimensions putting in 1 inch for height as you have to enter something.  if you select package you can get first class for 8.33 from NJ to Denver.

I just used my state and picked a town out west.  While I do not know where you are shipping from/to the First Class Package option does exist.

Hope this Helps.

The problem with eBay is this; you sell 6 Spider-man (1980-1990) comics in NM (I have a ton of comics I haven’t read and had two of each of every title pulled by two different comic book stores) for $8.00 plus $3.99 shipping. Then one out of 100 complains and starts a return.You give an immediate refund (why not, the buyer is ALWAYS right in eBay land).So far I’ve lost $8.00 shipping.Then eBay charges you an additional $9.31 postage.To get the books returned (he claimed one of them was “rough” on the spine) $17.30 postage on a $8.00 sale minus eBays and PayPal’s percentages.

Ebay has some sort of deal with USPS where normally anything over 13oz would be Priority, but through ebay shipping up to one pound can be sent 1st class.

Rate also vary depending on the zone you're shipping to.... obviously, the further away the higher the cost.

Edited by jokiing

On 7/6/2020 at 10:43 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

For a 1 pound pkg first class. that's about right. You go over a pound, things start to get ugly in a hurry. I think there's a media rate you might be able to use. It's cheaper but it will hit every postal center in its path on its way to it's destination....

1 hour ago, Will96 said:

I think there's a media rate you might be able to use. It's cheaper but it will hit every postal center in its path on its way to it's destination....

Also there is a chance that package will be opened and inspected. Anything with advertising does not qualify for media mail.

7 hours ago, jokiing said:

Also there is a chance that package will be opened and inspected. Anything with advertising does not qualify for media mail.

That is good to know.... I had someone at the post office recommend using it and the items she sold me the postage for definitely had advertising.... I've received items with that postage as well.