• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many pressers do we have here?

Have you ever had a book pressed?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a book pressed?

216 posts in this topic

Are you a lawyer....

No just kidding I'm talking both have to be equal. like I see MMatt Nelson's name on the boards so he must be the best (lets just assume he is) and lets use the Church Books all pretty much considered the best OO gold collection.

Now if he pressed a book that had no flaws just some wavyness to it but otherwise perfect copy would anybody have a method for detecting the pressed book from the Church book if they were both 9.xx quality?

I've read so many people freaking on this pressing issue but if you can't tell the diffrence why get so worked up about it?

CGC says that they cannot WITH 100% CERTAINTY state that a book has undergone "non-disassembly" pressing. They are more confident in their ability to detect when a book was taken apart and pressed. And their stance has been since they cant detect it perfectly they wont say a book HAs or HAS NOT been pressed.

Oh yeah, and CGC also says that pressing isnt restoration too. SO why mention it even if they DO spot it?

They mention a lot of things on the slab that is not "considered" restoration.

Why mention tape on cover (duh, kinda obvious) or slight color touch or slight amount of glue on cover, all of which receive a blue slab?

Because it allows an informed decision.

That's a simplistic statement. They can detect tape, or color touch, or a slight amount of glue. If they can't detect with 100% certainty that a book has been pressed, they absolutely should NOT put it on the label. Don't guess. I thought that was the whole purpose of an unbiased third-party grading service - to take the guessing out of the process.

sign-rantpost.gif And why, dear God, why, do we continue to beat this dead horse? If you don't agree with their standards, that's one thing, but they've been pretty clear on their position. CGC does not consider non-disassembly pressing restoration.

Who said anything about guessing. There are clearly well-known examples of pressed books and CGC knew they were pressed at the time of grading or at least at some point thereafter where action could be taken.

Plus, with the whole inside pressing deal with Freissen under the CCG label just down the hall from CGC, give me a break! They know. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Are you a lawyer....

No just kidding I'm talking both have to be equal. like I see MMatt Nelson's name on the boards so he must be the best (lets just assume he is) and lets use the Church Books all pretty much considered the best OO gold collection.

Now if he pressed a book that had no flaws just some wavyness to it but otherwise perfect copy would anybody have a method for detecting the pressed book from the Church book if they were both 9.xx quality?

I've read so many people freaking on this pressing issue but if you can't tell the diffrence why get so worked up about it?

27_laughing.gif Yes, as a matter of fact I am a lawyer.

Do I think anyone would be able to tell if Matt Nelson pressed a Church book? Not if he did it correctly and if the only defect he was removing was a slight wave to the cover. No way.

I don't think that the PRESSING ISSUE is making much impact on SALES.

Avengers #4 CGC 9.4

Not a book you see for sale at the grade in a no reserve auction every day, so maybe not the best example.

What difference does that make? The book is an obvious pressing candidate (being a high grade, high dollar book where .2 makes a big difference in terms of value) and is being sold by the guy who is the most expert presser in the business. And what's more, it's been sold to a CGC forum member (granted, one who doesn't really post anymore). I think it's a perfect example.

And, by the way, it sold for a record price, $800 more than the last 9.4 copy in March 2005. 893whatthe.gif

Are you a lawyer....

27_laughing.gif Yes, as a matter of fact I am a lawyer.

Do I think anyone would be able to tell if Matt Nelson pressed a Church book? Not if he did it correctly and if the only defect he was removing was a slight wave to the cover. No way.

You are....... I give up! I'll never get a straight yes or no answer stooges.gif "nothing is black and white just shades of grey" gossip.gif

I got a question for the people that have had books pressed

would you sell it for less then a non-pressed book and/or would you expect to get less for a pressed then non-pressed book?

If the book is in a CGC blue label holder, I think that the disclosure of pressing would have little, if any, effect on the final sales price. I know that plenty of people who read these boards would not bid on it, but there are plenty of others who just don't care as long as it is in a CGC blue label holder. The fact that Matt Nelson continues to get strong prices on his ebay auctions is pretty good evidence of that.

I mean if you bought a (back issue) comic and it had a fleck of dust or a piece of clothing lint on it, and you blew it off or wiped it off, by what your saying would be "Restored",,

I hear this argument a lot and the answer is very simple and I will re-repeat my thought on it. That fleck of dust is not a part of the book. Has not joined with the book. Has not impacted the book.

A crease HAS joined with the book, has impacted the book. It has impacted the paper and the often the inks. As does a tear (a tear may not impact inks if it is on a non-inked part of the book, like an inside cover edge). Etc etc etc.

I mean if you bought a (back issue) comic and it had a fleck of dust or a piece of clothing lint on it, and you blew it off or wiped it off, by what your saying would be "Restored",,

I hear this argument a lot and the answer is very simple and I will re-repeat my thought on it. That fleck of dust is not a part of the book. Has not joined with the book. Has not impacted the book.

A crease HAS joined with the book, has impacted the book. It has impacted the paper and the often the inks. As does a tear (a tear may not impact inks if it is on a non-inked part of the book, like an inside cover edge). Etc etc etc.

Don't get Scott going off on microspatulas and such again! foreheadslap.gif

Don't get Scott going off on microspatulas and such again! foreheadslap.gif

I must express myself. I must.......must......mu....

I got a question for the people that have had books pressed

would you sell it for less then a non-pressed book and/or would you expect to get less for a pressed then non-pressed book?

If the book is in a CGC blue label holder, I think that the disclosure of pressing would have little, if any, effect on the final sales price. I know that plenty of people who read these boards would not bid on it, but there are plenty of others who just don't care as long as it is in a CGC blue label holder. The fact that Matt Nelson continues to get strong prices on his ebay auctions is pretty good evidence of that.

I'd only buy that theory if Nelson noted in his auctions which books were pressed and which weren't. That would be the only way to test the real effect of disclosed pressing on sales prices.

I voted yes. I've had two books pressed, and would disclose that fact if I ever sold them.

But that'll be a cold day in hell.

How would you feel about sharing that info even while they resided in your collection? Not trying to be a wiseguy, just wondering if you would be reluctant to make that info public. (Not saying you should.)

I voted yes. I've had two books pressed, and would disclose that fact if I ever sold them.

But that'll be a cold day in hell.

How would you feel about sharing that info even while they resided in your collection? Not trying to be a wiseguy, just wondering if you would be reluctant to make that info public. (Not saying you should.)

He did already, didn't he? I remember Jeff posting the books that he sent in for pressing to show what a dramatic difference it could make.

thumbsup2.gif Not surprised. Like I said, wasn't trying to be funny. What books were they?

America's Best Comics #6 & #7. Here's the thread about the #7. It began as an informative discussion, but quickly degenerated into a typical pressing thread:

linky

That press job temporarily made my copy the HGC, but earlier this year the Church copy was graded at 9.6.

I'll catch some flak for then sending in the #6, as it was already a 9.2, but it had what looked like a non-color-breaking thumb indentation on the bottom of the front cover. I thought for sure that was what kept the book from being a 9.4. Matt did a great job eliminating the indentation, but the book came back from CGC the same grade.

I'm tempted to send in my Action #63, as the top of the book would benefit from pressing, but haven't decided yet...

action63.jpg

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think that the PRESSING ISSUE is making much impact on SALES.

Avengers #4 CGC 9.4

Not a book you see for sale at the grade in a no reserve auction every day, so maybe not the best example.

What difference does that make? The book is an obvious pressing candidate (being a high grade, high dollar book where .2 makes a big difference in terms of value) and is being sold by the guy who is the most expert presser in the business. And what's more, it's been sold to a CGC forum member (granted, one who doesn't really post anymore). I think it's a perfect example.

And, by the way, it sold for a record price, $800 more than the last 9.4 copy in March 2005.

My Point. thumbsup2.gif

If Matt is getting strong sales, then the COLLECTING COMMUNITY as a WHOLE doesn't seem to be worried about Pressed books.

My Point.

If Matt is getting strong sales, then the COLLECTING COMMUNITY as a WHOLE doesn't seem to be worried about Pressed books.

I've been saying that for months. So far I'm a CGC apologist and a Jason Ewert apologist. Maybe if I agree with you, I'll be a Matt Nelson apologist, too. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"I'm tempted to send in my Action #63, as the top of the book would benefit from pressing, but haven't decided yet..."

I will save you the pain and distress of looking at that top corner on the Action #63 just send it to me. To spare yourself anymore wincing at that horrible defect. I know I will be forced to look at it every day but that is somthing I am willing to do for a fellow comic collector