• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be a Crime not to post your Detective Pulps
6 6

345 posts in this topic

That's a cool Ace logo on the second mag "Every One An Ace - an MP Magazine." The MP is for Magazine Publishers.  I'm not sure that logo ran very long or on what magazines, as this is the first time I've seen it.  Looks like Headquarters Detective ran for six issues and continued numbering from Sky Birds.  No relation to the Headquarters Detective true crime mag that Macfadden published starting in 1940/

Love that one, haven't seen it before.  Looks like there's a few years straight of painted covers after the first few photo covers.

I've been trying to get my hands on the first issue for a scan, as it played an important role in precedent re: obscenity on the newsstands:

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/333/507/

headquarters_detective_194006_v1_n1.jpg.f324e7ca65d2664cb3421c914bfe69ac.jpg

I don't own this issue but did restore the cover from a digital image, Allen Anderson (prolific pulp painter but mebbe most famous for a couple of his Planets, did some nice comics covers for Ziff-Davis, too):

Headquarters Detective 1941-02 cover Allen Anderson (MCS Darwin Edit)

On 5/19/2024 at 1:44 AM, Darwination said:

Love the first one.  These are both Tom Lovell who started out working on the Hersey pulps in the early 30s but really started to hit his stride on covers for Popular around this time showing all sorts of chops in the details and composition.

This is my restore from a recent Heritage auction.  They even had the good sense to put it as the frontispiece for the auction.

Ace-High Western Magazine 1936-08 cover Tom Lovell (HA Darwin Edit)

Fellow pulp scanner Saskia worked this one:

Dime Detective v23 n03 [1937-02] cover

He "graduated" to the slicks pretty quickly, doing mostly interior illustration for The American, Cosmopolitan, Liberty, McCall's and others.  It's a shame he didn't get more cover work up in the big leagues because he was really good at it.  Did some great illustration in a variety of mediums, though. Here's a couple fellow magazine scanner Steve has in his Flickr gallery:

Young Man's Fancy (2) On the Mountain Anything You Can Climb Young Man's Fancy Summer Affair

I'm a softie, I like his romance art, here's a couple from Kelly Hicks at Flickr:

Lovell, 1949 Lovell, 1943

After the slicks died down, he went back to a bit of rougher stuff in magazines like True but finished out his career doing commissions and painting westerns scenes.  There's a few of his 70s Western paintings that have sold for six figures at Heritage, but I'd prefer something like one of these hanging on my wall :D

5595394%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

5459038%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

AMAZING!!  You did a wonderful job on those covers!!  Ive always loved both covers!!!  Nice Work!!!  All are AMAZING!!!