• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be a Crime not to post your Detective Pulps
6 6

312 posts in this topic

After the kind of drab look of that first Goodman true crime, I ended up going back and looking at an older scan of an issue I sold recently. Absolute time machine copy, too.  Like 10 bucks in open auction, muh bad. 

This is the November 1940 issue.  I'm not sure if this is Joe Simon's first issue as Art Director, but pretty much instantly the design explodes with all sorts of cool graphics and illos and overlapping photos, etc.  There was a significant improvement in the paper quality and production, too.  I stuck the scan up at the IA just now.

Complete Detective Cases v02n06 (1940-11.Postal) cover (Darwin Edit) Complete Detective Cases 1940-11 contents

Complete Detective Cases 1940-11 splash Love Monster of Fall River

Kirby/Simon, love this page

Complete Detective Cases 1940-11 splash Harlot of the Highways Jack Kirby

More Kirby, more cool design

Complete Detective Cases 1940-11 splash Sleigh Ride of Death Jack Kirby Complete Detective Cases 1940-11 splash The House of Too Many Lovers

https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/koqxduy8siya1m5/Complete_Detective_Cases_v02n06_%281940-11.Postal%29_%28Darwin-IA%29.cbr/file

https://archive.org/details/complete-detective-cases-v-02n-06-1940-11.-postal-darwin-ia

Edited by Darwination

The Secret History of Marvel has a good survey of artwork from these (and the pulps), but it's still just a fraction of what can be found.  I'm the same way about painted covers (gtfo of my collecting area, bastards) but there's great interior art and layout as well.  I daresay that Goodman's true crime magazines were much better than average which is absolutely not true of many of his other types of magazines.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:52 PM, OtherEric said:

I've probably shown this one before, but since we're talking Goodman magazines:

Star_Detective_1938_02.thumb.jpg.9964a763fd3ef6a29d84846f46f6f7ce.jpg

It took me a second to figure out what is going on with the head in the background.  The yellow menace is always sneaking up from behind and out of the floorboards :shiftyeyes:

Had a feeling, but double-checked, Anatole Field there is Anatole Feldman.  That's the only noted used of that psuedonym, but he used Anthony Field a good number of times.

New one in this week, the last issue of Fawcett's Daring Detective Tabloid, I don't know the artist:

DaringDetectiveTabloidv02n09(1935-06.GraphicArts)cover.thumb.jpg.4d04e8ed9e6f6dcda0872caa88706a83.jpg

Some nice graphics and content within.

It looks like it started as an actual tabloid???  Those first issues must be tough.

http://www.pofoz.com/magazines/true-crime/titles/daring-detective/index.html

Edited by Darwination