• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be a Crime not to post your Detective Pulps
6 6

395 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2024 at 8:17 PM, Darwination said:

10StoryDetectivev1n1Jan1938cover.thumb.jpg.3036bad14b4198aaabdf7ba83d0b48b6.jpg

The v01n01 and not a bad copy, but a funky darkish stripe over the center across the center of the book (shrug) FPS cover.

10 Story Detective 1st issue!!!!  Very Nice, I need this one, great cover art!!!  Love it!

On 6/6/2024 at 8:17 PM, Surfing Alien said:

True Detective Mysteries, August 1936.

Dalton Stevens Gun Moll cover art, Lindbergh, extraordinarily high grade... I had to have it :cloud9:

20240606_121730.thumb.jpg.6d25bb2e9c9590dda2658463f88a6ad7.jpg

This is a magazine, no? Not a pulp? Or am I confusing this with another Detective magazine?

Defo not a pulp in the sense we tend to use it, but Detectives fictional and "True" all seem to get posted here from a cover art standpoint.

Fwiw, the pulp purists (not as many as there once were) draw a distinction where contemporaries did not always.  Plenty of authors or trade mags classified true detective/true Story/Confessions in with the same class as "pulp" even if the Trues were on better (not great) paper.

Been hunting some 20s True Detective Mysteries for years for early work from Dashiell Hammett.

There are cases like Startling Detective where a mag started as one and went to the other, but I think TDM was always "true."

On 6/6/2024 at 6:17 PM, Surfing Alien said:

True Detective Mysteries, August 1936.

Dalton Stevens Gun Moll cover art, Lindbergh, extraordinarily high grade... I had to have it :cloud9:

20240606_121730.thumb.jpg.6d25bb2e9c9590dda2658463f88a6ad7.jpg

WOW!!  Love the cover, and in amazing condition too!!!!  I've never seen the one....  Very Nice!

On 6/7/2024 at 8:16 PM, Point Five said:

For years and years I've loved the precode horror comic covers with skeletons playing jazz or classical music. I'm over the moon to have tracked down this tough pulp from 1935 (!) with a very similar cover theme. 

populardetectiveaugust1935.thumb.jpg.0a2c65f65575c9fe2a9b82e372a8ef7d.jpg

WAY...... COOL!!!! - I've always loved this cover!!!!  Super Nice!!!!

On 6/7/2024 at 5:34 PM, Sarg said:

This is a magazine, no? Not a pulp? Or am I confusing this with another Detective magazine?

This is surely a Mag by definition, but, as Darwin indicated - these were kind of "tweeners" back then, and even now, there's really not another section to post them in so I tend to drop nice ones here where they'll be appreciated. They have a real impact in hand as they are big - mostly the size of bedsheets and/or Life magazines - so those Good Girls are large and in-charge :cloud9:

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 9:12 PM, dickymoe74 said:

WOW!!  Love the cover, and in amazing condition too!!!!  I've never seen the one....  Very Nice!

Like most paper, these have their own set of challenges that make them real tough in high grade. Challenges here are they're large and skinny  so they are very floppy, the cover paper is thin, and glued spine paper that gets split easy. The final challenge, is that after surviving in nice shape for 80-90 years sellers love to ship them loose with no backing in envelopes where they get mauled by the post office :sorry:I can't even :facepalm:

Edited by Surfing Alien