• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hubba Hubba show your "Girly" Pulps!
9 9

366 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2024 at 11:21 PM, Darwination said:

Ah, thanks :) I'm afraid here on the CGC boards I'm sharing the grubby truth as far as the raw scans of covers from my collection (versus the ones I've worked with in terms of scanning or digital restoration even if I consider those "mine" too).  

I've acquired high grade books now and again, but it's really a beggars can't be choosers sort of thing with grabbing any copies I can get, some of the titles or runs are truly scarce.  Not to mention the market's gotten a lot pricier than it used it be when there were just a handful of girlie collectors (and before there were any attempts at cornering the market on eBay by a dealer or few or CGC speculation).  It's settled down a bit lately, but we shall see.  The nice thing about the high prices was that some books were sort of shaken loose from their boxes.  I've never seen so many girlie pulps sitting at Mycomicshop or on eBay as there have been over the last couple years. And all those books sitting around at high prices means that even low grade copies get stuck up at high prices when the pickers scope out the comps for BINs.

Still, my feeling is there's probably a few old school collectors I don't even know that have amazing collections under lock and key (featured in books like Doug Ellis' Uncensored).  The grisly truth is you only see the best collections of pulps for sale when someone dies :o

I do keep an album (one of many album subjects) on my Flickr feed here of girlie pulp stuff I don't tend to show on the boards since it's worked with so much digitally or isn't from my own collection.  I've scanned many more that haven't made it up here yet, but I try to add them as I'm getting books up at the Internet Archive:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/197841258@N07/albums/72177720307372516/

I love the girlie covers but kind of feel bad they get all the glory.  I always resent it when the old school pulp folks (who tend to be readers and not the same group of people on these boards) scoff at girlie pulp collectors as only interested in the cover of the magazine (just like they scoff at the types of collectors we have here that mainly chase covers).  The interior illustrations have their own charms, the photography can be excellent, and some of the fiction is great fun.  It's like any type of pulp with a mix of good and bad stories, but the girlie pulps just don't get the benefit of very many famous names, as most stories were written under alias (shrug)  I've read many of them, but I'm starting to keep a record of the best stories as I find them and will likely put together a collection at one time or another.  I've gotten better at identifying the interior artists and have picked up on those as I see them in Donenfeld's other magazines or romance pulps.  There's a surprising amount of author and artist crossover with the love pulps (and likely readership crossover, too, the stories are largely romantic comedy, and you see women readers in the letter columns, etc.).  It's definitely a funky niche in the big world of pulp.  Hard to imagine that we're creeping up on my favorite magazines in the whole world being 100 years old (but still lively!)

Too Cool!!!!  Thanks for sending, I will for sure check this link out.  I too have a lot of ungraded comics and pulps, too expensive to send them in, and nothing like being able to look at the books.   Thanks again Darwination!  So very, very, very..... cool!