• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Misprint Comics
4 4

66 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2023 at 8:34 PM, Stefan_W said:

Misprints do nothing for me, but I do enjoy a lot of recalled comics. This one is my favourite:

https://recalledcomics.com/SwampThing11Recalled.php 

Is that boner fide?

policesquad.gif.411c4669702075418fac54efe37a46d9.gif

On 7/16/2023 at 12:34 PM, Stefan_W said:

Misprints do nothing for me, but I do enjoy a lot of recalled comics. This one is my favourite:

https://recalledcomics.com/SwampThing11Recalled.php 

That's a fun site.  I don't see this particular Millennium Edition listed there, but they do mention others with similar problems.

_CGCbooks0004.thumb.JPG.55bb2484356312c932c26be61e3a2698.JPG

On 7/11/2020 at 5:18 PM, Varanis said:

I had a discussion with a few friends recently about the value of rare misprint comics, and I thought it would be an interesting question to pose to this forum. Many misprints, errors, and recalls have enough copies in circulation that a critical threshold of public sales exist to determine a market. Whether it's the Secret Wars #1 blue Galactus misprint, a double cover, or the infamous first printing of Batman: Damned, each has a fairly defined market.

But what if the misprint is so rare that there are only a few or maybe even only 1 copy that exists? The question came up due to the Hawkman Zaffino variant cover issue below. The full color cover is the intended variant cover. However, there are 2 copies that have been found in the wild of the black, white, and blue cover and one copy of the pink cover. These "variant variants" were not solicited and clearly appear to be misprints. How would one go about ascribing value to this misprints?

I have my thoughts, but felt it would be an interesting example to bring up here. What do you think?

Given seemingly every book nowadays has a 1:100 or 1:250 variant or given the popularity of Newsstand Editions (which to me takes the prize for most boring variant one could possible pay a premium for) - I don't see how anyone could convincingly argue that misprints shouldn't have a premium attached to them. The premium depends on the popularity of the book or character and how cool the spectacle of the misprint is in relation to the look of the cover or book. If there was a Todd McFarlane Spider-man #1 with a B&W double cover misprint I doubt anyone would be arguing it's not worth much because there's a million+ other copies of the book.

Below is a Mr. Sinister Quesada X-Factor Double cover misprint I have signed by both Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti on both covers (from back in the day when Jimmy was Quesada's inker). (I literally had this book signed when I was maybe 13yrs old). I've had the book listed for sale for some time and it hasn't moved at the price I want (no doubt because the issue is not particularly valuable in and of itself) but I really don't care because it's just too cool an artifact by one of my favorite artists and it still excites me to have it more than there is a desire for me to drop the price to the lowest common denominator simply to get rid of it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

s-l1600.jpg.17d4484fd367bf92e0cfd20005f05e05.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg.0292e28a5f31beda848c7dcba5b2fd70.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg.f1d8c6eb70373dcf09bddeeb762af017.jpg

Edited by Pixx_L

On 7/13/2023 at 11:06 AM, marvelmaniac said:

You are 100% correct, I only looked at the prices, not the covers, doh!, a CGC 5.0 Green sold for $645.00 on 5/13/23. I had no idea, I have owned both covers for years and never gave it a second thought.

There is currently an auction taking place for the Green Cover, 4 days left in the auction and it is currently at $171.00 (17 bids/9 bidders), seller has it listed as VG- 3.5, looks better than that (VG/FN 5.0?) except for a long diagonal crease on the right side.

Actually in the description, the seller has this book listed as a FN. 6.0 (raw), the book sold  for $585.00 :jawdrop:, 37 bids, 13 bidders.

Everything I am reading says this book is readily available, why the high price?

Does anybody have production numbers on both covers or how many Green covers were destroyed as a result of the recall?