• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Misprint Comics
4 4

66 posts in this topic

On 7/12/2023 at 8:41 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I finally completed the "distorted holograms", except for the X-men #25 white and gold variants, last year. I've since noticed a drop in sales. I keep track enough to see if I over paid :makepoint:

The distorted holos are really bright blue and kinda fun. I'm pretty sure I had the first 9.8 Wolverine #75 on the census, and I sold it a little while after I got it and I made a killing - it has come down over the years. That is a tough book in grade because the hologram stickers were put on "make ready" copies of the book, which had some paper flaws. Joeypost pressed that book for me and absolutely nailed it. The guy I originally bought the raw copy from tried to screw me over, and karma paid me back in full.

On 7/12/2023 at 8:49 AM, Poutine said:

Am I rich?

20230530_182518.jpg

20230530_182510.jpg

20230530_182504.jpg

I don't think those are the blue hologram books - but they are out there for all those titles. What I surmised happened is that when they were printing the holograms (of which I don't have any knowledge of that process) - they had a bunch of all-blue ones that didn't shift color like the normal ones. My guess is that all the different holograms were printed "ganged up" on one sheet, then trimmed out for each individual book - which is why you have all-blue holograms for each title with different characters. The reason for the all-blue hologram paper stock eludes me, but my guess is whatever process they use to create the holographic paper required some tweaking, and the all-blue stock was used as "make ready" as they were adjusting their printer.

When they passed off all the holograms, the all-blue ones were the ones they used to test the setup at the beginning: gluing and placement on the final print run - when they got the bindery equipment dialed in, they switched to the holograms that shifted color correctly, and the rest of the all-blue ones that were inferior got thrown out.

On 7/12/2023 at 9:05 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I don't think those are the blue hologram books - but they are out there for all those titles. What I surmised happened is that when they were printing the holograms (of which I don't have any knowledge of that process) - they had a bunch of all-blue ones that didn't shift color like the normal ones. My guess is that all the different holograms were printed "ganged up" on one sheet, then trimmed out for each individual book - which is why you have all-blue holograms for each title with different characters. The reason for the all-blue hologram paper stock eludes me, but my guess is whatever process they use to create the holographic paper required some tweaking, and the all-blue stock was used as "make ready" as they were adjusting their printer.

When they passed off all the holograms, the all-blue ones were the ones they used to test the setup at the beginning: gluing and placement on the final print run - when they got the bindery equipment dialed in, they switched to the holograms that shifted color correctly, and the rest of the all-blue ones that were inferior got thrown out.

They aren't blue. The top one is brown.

Suppose a seller would call it "gold" lol

Here's an X-men 25 with the blue holo notation (not mine), the seller didn't post any different angles to show the blue color, but CGC picked up on it at least. I'd also advise anyone to not pay a premium for any CGC slab that doesn't say "Distorted hologram" on it, because you can tilt those covers to show the blue effect - when the true distorted holos are all blue at all angles.

I'd love to see @ADAMANTIUM 's blue holo collection. At the time when I discovered the blue Wolvie one (in 1996 or so) I thought there was only one title with those, but eventually they started coming out of the woodwork.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/12/2023 at 9:28 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

well... hardly any of mine are 9.8 either, but I did get "fair prices for all". I'll admit the "Cable Holo" has a corner of green but the "blue only" covered more than 75% and that it was one according to cgc. :shy: At least all mine are in the NM Near Mint range, so I'm grateful

AS2AS2

GetImage.aspx?c=3791495&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=Ny8xMi8yMDIzIDExOjIxOjMzIEFNGetImage.aspx?c=3791495&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=Ny8xMi8yMDIzIDExOjIxOjMzIEFN

GetImage.aspx?c=4260618&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=Ny8xMi8yMDIzIDExOjIyOjI3IEFNGetImage.aspx?c=4260618&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=Ny8xMi8yMDIzIDExOjIyOjI3IEFN

GetImage.aspx?c=4870943&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=Ny8xMi8yMDIzIDExOjIzOjM3IEFNGetImage.aspx?c=4870943&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=Ny8xMi8yMDIzIDExOjIzOjM3IEFN

GetImage.aspx?c=3204785&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=Ny8xMi8yMDIzIDExOjI0OjU4IEFNGetImage.aspx?c=3204785&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=Ny8xMi8yMDIzIDExOjI0OjU4IEFN

GetImage.aspx?c=3206906&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=Ny8xMi8yMDIzIDExOjI1OjQ4IEFNGetImage.aspx?c=3206906&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=Ny8xMi8yMDIzIDExOjI1OjQ4IEFN

Very nice! Those are pretty cool all together.

On 7/12/2023 at 10:33 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Very nice! Those are pretty cool all together.

Ya there is currently a white variation on eBay, but they want too much, if it was the gold variation with it, I'd buy buy both for the $400 sale price. Normally they'd get $400 for just the one, and they might be losing money at that. It's just this down market etc.

It is the white and color, and I want to say there is even a third that is all white to find the distorted, but as for a "base set" I have completed well enough I think.

I understand the allure of something unique and different when it comes to collecting, so miscuts fall into a basket of that realm. 

But...I've seen a lotta miscuts and it's just a continuation of the art, so where does this fall?  Is this book a miscut as CGC states...or is this some sort of test copy?  It bugs me that they used a three hole punch over the barcode. That makes me think this is some sort of test copy maybe...I mean someone had to use a hole punch on that back cover by hand don't ya think?  Thoughts....

image00001a.jpg

image00002a.jpg

Untitled.jpg

On 7/12/2023 at 9:43 AM, IceHole said:

I understand the allure of something unique and different when it comes to collecting, so miscuts fall into a basket of that realm. 

But...I've seen a lotta miscuts and it's just a continuation of the art, so where does this fall?  Is this book a miscut as CGC states...or is this some sort of test copy?  It bugs me that they used a three hole punch over the barcode. That makes me think this is some sort of test copy maybe...I mean someone had to use a hole punch on that back cover by hand don't ya think?  Thoughts....

image00001a.jpg

image00002a.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I guess if someone subs it to CGC, and it's a significant mis-cut it gets the Green Label. This one is a perfect example of an extreme bindery miscut, the information that appears on the outside beyond the crop/trim marks like file name, ink density blocks, plate information (like the olden days of offset). Obviously, this gets trimmed out because it resides on the out edges of the paper, but the three punch holes are odd. Those are quite large and not very exact for traditional gripper holes - which only usually appear on printing plates and similar equipment. Bindery equipment generally works on rollers and suction cups as to not damage the product as it's working its way through the machinery.

Your guess of punches over the bar code is probably correct - this copy was not meant to be sold, probably just thrown away and the punches were made as a precaution - but someone thought there might value, which I don't think there is.

Edited by Dr. Balls

Fantastic Four 110 is selling for the same price ($10.00 - $20.00 Raw) for both the incorrect color cover and the correct color cover.

Fantastic-Four-110-Incorrect-Colors-VF-N

Fantastic-Four-110-Corrected-Colors-VF-8

I was given an F.F. Annual 1 for Christmas back in the early 80's.

Unfortunately this book has a major Bindery Defect, Part 1 of the story was added twice, part 2 was omitted, so it is basically incomplete, are there other copies out there that have the same defect?

Here is the F.F. Annual 1

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail-1.jpg

thumbnail-2.jpg

This is what should have followed part 1, (pages from F.F. Annual 8 which reprints F.F. Annual 1)

thumbnail-3.jpg

On 7/12/2023 at 10:43 AM, IceHole said:

image00001a.jpg

image00002a.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I think the filename being visible on the top of the front cover and the top of the back cover is more interesting than the barcode at the bottom. There's no reason the filename (.pdf) should be visible on any "viable" product.

Edited by valiantman

On 7/12/2023 at 12:31 PM, valiantman said:

I think the filename being visible on the top of the front cover and the top of the back cover is more interesting than the barcode at the bottom. There's no reason the filename (.pdf) should be visible on any "viable" product.

File name is on inside covers also. Numbered p1, p2, p3 and p4.  

@comic_queen7282  's  bump of this thread was timely, because a new error print of a DC comic just came out this week. Knight Terrors 1 released Tuesday but comic shops were apparently ordered to destroy a specific variant and get replacements sent later. The cover to the black light/neon ink variant was printed with a brown ink rather than neon green it was supposed to come have. I got a couple (literally 2 copies) from my local shops because I truly do enjoy collecting things like this. The attached pic isn't mine, but that is what my copies look like.

A couple of other recent examples are W0rldtr33 1 that released earlier this year and Jenny Zero 1 that came out a few years ago. W0rldtr33's main cover was printed on low quality paper and the cover image came out very dark, which kind of ruined it as it made an important part of the image very difficult to see. I actually just got a copy of it this past weekend completely by accident. I picked up all 3 issues of the series. It just so happened that the first issue was the recalled copy. I ended up buying the 3rd print afterward as well since it was superior, paper and image-wise. Jenny Zero originally released with a missing page (or was it 2 pages?). Instead, there was a page from the 2nd issue inside, which was completely out of place, of course. They were ordered destroyed and corrected replacements were shipped later, but I was able to hunt one down at a local shop before it was trashed.

kt.jpg

wt.jpg

jz.jpg