• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you get your older comics from?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

As someone who collected heavily in the '80's I'm in the process of having a lot of my comics graded and selling them on Ebay or maybe selling them on here.

I've still got plenty of comics to go through but I'm kind of getting the bug to get more and do this more and more.

I don't have a comic book store.

So besides having your own store what's the best way to get older comics with the intention of possibly pressing/cleaning, grading and selling them for a profit?

Putting ads in local things like Craig's List?  Checking out garage/estate sales?  Buying raw comics on this site and Ebay?  Buying raw from local comic book stores? 

Thanks! 

On 7/18/2020 at 9:10 PM, Tafkap said:

So besides having your own store what's the best way to get older comics with the intention of possibly pressing/cleaning, grading and selling them for a profit?

Putting ads in local things like Craig's List?  Checking out garage/estate sales?  Buying raw comics on this site and Ebay?  Buying raw from local comic book stores? 

yes

So I know a comic shop going out of business. Tons and tons of comics.,I was thinking about buying him out, already offered but he told me to come back he was trying to liquidate by having sales then Covid hit., His dad owned the shop and passed away. Do you really think there’s be a profit made in doing this? I know it would take time. take pics publish etc. I was going to continue the shop but I don’t know how profitable it would be having to pay someone vs expenses and sales. 

1 hour ago, GrandmasterG said:

So I know a comic shop going out of business. Tons and tons of comics.,I was thinking about buying him out, already offered but he told me to come back he was trying to liquidate by having sales then Covid hit., His dad owned the shop and passed away. Do you really think there’s be a profit made in doing this? I know it would take time. take pics publish etc. I was going to continue the shop but I don’t know how profitable it would be having to pay someone vs expenses and sales. 

As someone who just started selling parts of my collection, selling is far more time-consuming than you think.

19 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

Depends on price & stock

Pretty much, people don't seem to factor time into the equation enough either.  Moving books under 20 bucks (has to be a majority of the collection, probably lots less then $5 tbh) is going to take lots of work.  Not to mention storing a large collection and spending the time going through every single book.

On 7/21/2020 at 11:55 AM, GrandmasterG said:

For the right price, nearly anything can be profitable.  How much time can you spend? How much is your time worth?  What kind of returns are you looking for?  Do you know enough about the market and selling to even estimate your margins or the amount of time it would take?

time and money would also include grading and pricing and taking pictures and making posts/ads and possibly shipping and dealing with returns and bad customers, negotiations, having to deal with any number of selling and shipping fees, possibly taxes (possibly sales,  state, and federal).  And that’s all without getting into the Cgc grading game (or pressing).  Of course you factor in the opportunity cost of tying up your time and money and space, plus factor in the uncertainty of Covid and the potential economic issues related to an unusually impactful election year.

and of course factor in the time it takes to learn to reasonably understand all of the above and decide the best venue(s) to sell for your situation 

Most of the folks on here have a lot more experience than I do, but in the bit of trading I've done, I'd say don't neglect building relationships - with local comic stores, other collectors, estate sale folks, etc. Almost all of the books I've gotten that were great deals, unique opportunities, or cool collections were because I knew someone. It was the comic store owner who I constantly chatted GA with who had a collection walk in the door, or a friendly neighbor I'd known for years who one day heard me talk about collecting. Or it was the estate sale manager who already had a friend who got first dibs on collections. With the comic shop, I wasn't looking to get keys, but I was always talking to the owner about his wall books and bringing in new finds I picked up. So when he got collections or was in talks with a seller, he would let me know first. This is just my humble opinion being very small-time and very new, but in my experience, those relationships built around the hobby have been really valuable - financially and otherwise.

49 minutes ago, rumrunner71 said:

Most of the folks on here have a lot more experience than I do, but in the bit of trading I've done, I'd say don't neglect building relationships - with local comic stores, other collectors, estate sale folks, etc. Almost all of the books I've gotten that were great deals, unique opportunities, or cool collections were because I knew someone. It was the comic store owner who I constantly chatted GA with who had a collection walk in the door, or a friendly neighbor I'd known for years who one day heard me talk about collecting. Or it was the estate sale manager who already had a friend who got first dibs on collections. With the comic shop, I wasn't looking to get keys, but I was always talking to the owner about his wall books and bringing in new finds I picked up. So when he got collections or was in talks with a seller, he would let me know first. This is just my humble opinion being very small-time and very new, but in my experience, those relationships built around the hobby have been really valuable - financially and otherwise.

Sage advice!