• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ENOCH BOLLES ....and other fine Pin-Up art
3 3

142 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2024 at 3:23 PM, Darwination said:

A 9.0 Film Fun is absolutely remarkable (not to mention that's an incredible Bolles). 

Got it from Dwight, which should explain everything :bigsmile:

On 3/22/2024 at 3:23 PM, Darwination said:

Is the Playboy the one with Bettie wearing only a Santa hat? :D

Affirmative. I slabbed them to sell, but now I don't know. My MAD 29 was white Mountain and got a CGC 8.5 OW/W and kept the Ped... it looks much nicer but had some stacking dirt on the b.c. that hammered it. First Don Martin :cloud9: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/22/2024 at 3:08 PM, jimjum12 said:

This one is on it's way back from CGC, where it was graced with a blue CGC 9.0. It's a beauty. My Nugget 1 got CGC 6.5, and my PLAYBOY 2/55 with the Bettie Page centerfold got a CGC 9.4. They were not easy on them, but certainly fair. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

81HAEJf.jpeg

Congrats Jim, that is a jaw- dropper!

On 3/26/2024 at 12:24 AM, Darwination said:

I think the McCauley is going to do surprisingly well.  Reefer Girl might just go crazy, too.

Did a boardie happen to win an obscure Bolles this weekend on eBay?  I was underbidder and have a proposition if you did... (not the sort of thing you'll see me asking too often :frustrated:)  PM ME

But while I'm here, Bolles

TattleTalesv03n02(1934-06.Nuregal)coverBolles.thumb.jpg.427aeb231f41fc460bd13670958812be.jpg

and one of a *lovely* batch of Judge I scanned and bagged tonight:

Judgev089n2296(1925-10-31.Leslie-Judge)coverRuthEastman.thumb.jpg.f7f4f6a9705a8ec19d483e4cd72105e5.jpg

Love that Halloween issue!

Hate to bring vulgar sales talk into the Bolles thread here, but there's an interesting one up tonight at HA that's sparked my interest.  Already at a grand, it's a high-grade copy, but I'm pretty confident it is not the best I've seen.

30084192%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Missing a page, which obviously doesn't seem to affect the Bolles collectors that are already jousting for it.  Curious where it will end up - a 37 Gay Parisienne isn't exactly the scarcest of creatures even if the high grade ones are few and far between.  It sure is pretty, tho -

Posted (edited)

Beautiful mags!  I don't believe I've ever seen the Tattle Tales for sale before, and that Gay Book is in lovely shape (the original painting appears for just a moment in a scene in Drawn to Perfection, the recent documentary on Dave Stevens).

If I'm not mistaken, the Judge cover you have there is the first painting Enoch sold to the magazine in 1914.  The original painting was sold in 2017.

15007763%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Feel welcome to show more Bolles! :D

Edited by Darwination

Hello Darwination -

Love all the great images and knowledge you share, thank you so much!

I will have to check out the Dave Stevens documentary, I love Dave Stevens, thanks for sharing.  I thought Judge Oct. 1914 was the first Enoch Bolles did as-well, until I found this...

Picture of - Judge Sept 20th 1914. Attached.

Judge Sept 1914.jpg

Posted (edited)

Excellent - I haven't seen this before.

It's hard for me to make out the signature in the lower left, but I take it Bolles' signature is clear to you there?

I've seen Bolles with some of these weird, dark eyes before and can make out a bit of Bolles in her fingers and figure.  It's a strange painting with the diver looking right at the reader with those black eyes!

Edited by Darwination

Weird - The cover painting is signed Enoch Booles also the inside table of continence credits Enoch Bolles as Enoch Booles as-well.  This is the same Judge Sept 5th 1914 issue.

I added some pictures for just for reference.  Let me know your thoughts???

Enoch Bolles signed Enco Booles 1914.jpg

Enoch Bolles signed Enoch Booles pic 2.jpg

Encoh Booles inside credit 1914.jpg

Judge Sept 1914.jpg

Surely Bolles :D

Enoch is such an uncommon name, and the lettering in the signature, though funky, is familiar.  It's not uncommon at all for early signatures of an artist to show variance or play with a near alias, and it makes sense that the magazine would just go with what they clearly see at the signature on the printed credit for an artist new to the publication.

Here's one from almost ten yeats later on with the strangely dark eyes I encountered recently, I hear there's more of them:

Film Fun 1923-09 cover Enoch Bolles (MCS Darwin Edit)

I confirmed the Innocence Abroad on the September Judge as Bolles' first cover (thumbsu

I really like the "Losing Time" on the bottom, it's almost got a cartoonish aspect that's pretty unusual for a Bolles.

On 5/14/2024 at 10:50 AM, Darwination said:

I confirmed the Innocence Abroad on the September Judge as Bolles' first cover (thumbsu

I really like the "Losing Time" on the bottom, it's almost got a cartoonish aspect that's pretty unusual for a Bolles.

Very cool, thanks for checking on this......  Amazing the books made it through *(2) World Wars.