• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Auction starts with a bang August 13

187 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2020 at 9:31 AM, Kevin76 said:

His stuff on Amazing Spider-Man sells for more money than his later "Spider-man"  series run even though his Spider-Man pages are much cooler than his ASM run.  What would his ASM 316 cover fetch?  A million?  

Speaking of which the owner of that very cover can be heard on the latest Felix pod cast. Known as “the Vacuum” he’s sure to have some keen insights to share on OA.

15 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I was watching those too.  Hit my youth years when I was first collecting but too rich for my blood.

Looks like I will just have to be happy with the one I have

hulkSplash.jpg

Yuck, the only worse inker on Sal than Tom Palmer was Klaus Janson.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:
2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

There's somebody out there who doesn't love Tom Palmer? ??? 

Tim doesn't like him :cry:

I've never liked inkers with a heavy style.

Palmer and Janson take every artist and turn them dark and murky.

15 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 9/3/2020 at 5:24 PM, batman_fan said:

I was watching those too.  Hit my youth years when I was first collecting but too rich for my blood.

Looks like I will just have to be happy with the one I have

hulkSplash.jpg

Yuck, the only worse inker on Sal than Tom Palmer was Klaus Janson.

At least it was only a Sal Buscema page that he ruined. :p

13 hours ago, glendgold said:

I think Janson was at that time an especially heavy inker that gave Sal (and Kane) an extra dimension that I liked.  On Colan, however, it was like adding a subwoofer when you already had a stack of subwoofers.  Palmer all the way. 

I like that subwoofer analogy! 

I love Palmer, but I LOOOOOOOVE Janson, and Janson on Kane is the best Kane. Ever. Period.

7 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I love Palmer, but I LOOOOOOOVE Janson

It's so funny that you love Palmer and Janson so much, because your inking style is the antithesis of theirs.  I've always liked inkers such as yourself, Terry Austin, Joe Sinnott, etc., who I've always labeled as having a "light touch".  You guys did what I think an inker should do, which is to bring out the best in the pencils but without drowning out the penciller.

Especially with Janson, it always looked like he was trying to say "starring Klaus Janson and co-starring [fill in name of penciller]".  I don't know if he was a frustrated penciller or what, but I've always felt he was trying to be the star, which is not what an inker should be doing.  I know that whenever I picked up a book he had worked on, my first reaction would be "Oh, Janson's inking this one.  Let me see if I can figure whose pencils have been obliterated by his heavy handed inks, without looking at the credits."

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

It's so funny that you love Palmer and Janson so much, because your inking style is the antithesis of theirs.  I've always liked inkers such as yourself, Terry Austin, Joe Sinnott, etc., who I've always labeled as having a "light touch".  You guys did what I think an inker should do, which is to bring out the best in the pencils but without drowning out the penciller.

Especially with Janson, it always looked like he was trying to say "starring Klaus Janson and co-starring [fill in name of penciller]".  I don't know if he was a frustrated penciller or what, but I've always felt he was trying to be the star, which is not what an inker should be doing.  I know that whenever I picked up a book he had worked on, my first reaction would be "Oh, Janson's inking this one.  Let me see if I can figure whose pencils have been obliterated by his heavy handed inks, without looking at the credits."

Believe it or not, I don't disagree with you. I feel both Palmer and Janson were very heavy handed, and tended to dominate the final look or the art. I just happen to like their aesthetic so much that I'm ok with that dominant role. Same with guys like Kevin Nowlan. Even Neal Adams (when inking other pencillers). On the other hand, there were some heavy style guys who didn't work as well for me. Alfredo Alcala, Tony DeZuniga and Rudy Nebres used to do very elegant inks on John Buscema Conan for example and I hated that those inks totally buried Buscema's aesthetic. But then Janson and Palmer come along and power over Buscema pencils and it's all good with me! Their choices seemed more appropriate to my eye, but at the end of the day, we all just like the stuff we think looks good, and we're not going to always agree on the names.

As an aside, and only because you mentioned my inks as a counter point to Janson, but Janson is/was my biggest inking influence and the guy I tried to emulate as I was getting my career going. While my style did evolve over time, my early work in particular had a HEAVY Janson vibe. If you ever find old issues of Strikeforce Murituri in the 50 cent comic bins, check out my work over Brent Anderson there and you'll see lots of Janson riffs and outright style theft! lol

12 hours ago, tth2 said:

Sinnott always felt overpowering to me as an inker. When pen hit paper with him, it becomes “Sinnott with” art. 

24 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Sinnott always felt overpowering to me as an inker. When pen hit paper with him, it becomes “Sinnott with” art. 

Good thing Sinnott was one of the best inkers ever. If Sinnott was a horrible inker, I’d say an overpowering Sinnott would be a bad thing.