• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

50th annual Overstreet - What does he get right? What does he get wrong?
3 3

183 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, this is most definitely a typo.  :gossip:

Looks like there was a typo when the gang at Overstreet was pulling out the excerpt from Gallo's report.  If you go to Page 126 for his full report, it clearly states that "I have seen pages of major keys like Captain America 1, Batman 1, Superman 1, Fetective 27 and Action 1 bring hundreds TO thousands of dollars."  (thumbsu

Well there you go. 

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I just noticed in the new OPG, on p. 90, in Overstreets 2020 market report, that one advisor reported “There has been an upswing in sales of incomplete comic books and even parts of books over the last year as well. Surely this is due to the extremely high price of complete books. I have seen pages of major keys bring hundreds of thousands of dollars.”

Excerpt From
The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide
Robert M. Overstreet
https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-overstreet-comic-book-price-guide/id1531161216
This material may be protected by copyright.

ok, I call bs on that. This advisor must be jumping from comic pages to original art. To my knowledge, the highest price anyone has paid for a comic page is $25k for page 3 of an Action 1

Page 5 😎

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If you go to Page 126 for his full report, it clearly states that "I have seen pages of major keys like Captain America 1, Batman 1, Superman 1, Fetective 27 and Action 1 bring hundreds TO thousands of dollars."  (thumbsu

When has a page from Fetective 27 ever sold for hundreds, let alone thousands of dollars? :baiting:

On 9/27/2020 at 11:29 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, this is most definitely a typo.  :gossip:

(thumbsu

Flipped through the brand new 50th Anniversary of Overstreet tribute book that retails for $20 US. Has a full page glossy pic of Mask Comics #2 and a smaller pic of Mask #1, thus I figure Overstreet 2021/2022 Covid edition will have the nm values reversed where they should be for these 2 L.B. Cole classic covers. How much for greggy sig series since his SDCC backside is once again in Overstreet?

I'm still annoyed by how inaccurate golden age prices are.  I hear the arguments - price guides are out of date as soon as printed, it's a "guide" only - so doesn't have to be accurate, he doesn't like changing prices too "quickly."  It's all ridiculous.  I buy mostly good girl art type covers, and have for years.  For many years, you can not get a nice Rangers, Fight Comics, Junior Comics, Schomburg covers, etc etc etc without paying multiple times guide. 

Multiple times.  For years.  and years.

I see no GOOD reason why the guide doesn't more accurately reflect prices.  And I'm not a high roller - i am usually buying books under 1K, so it's not as if sales are rare. Many, many books have been out of whack for a long time.

I also agree that the prices listed in the Overstreet Price Guide are way out of whack.  Over the last year, I have been tracking the prices realized at the Heritage and ComicLink Auctions for a popular title such as Superman and Action Comics.  The actual realized prices are consistently higher than Guide.  If you can't get the Market prices of popular titles remotely correct, why bother?  Or has the guide become more of a Dealer Buy Price  the way the Kelley Blue Book is the wholesale for automobiles?

12 hours ago, georgefoo said:

I also agree that the prices listed in the Overstreet Price Guide are way out of whack.  Over the last year, I have been tracking the prices realized at the Heritage and ComicLink Auctions for a popular title such as Superman and Action Comics.  The actual realized prices are consistently higher than Guide.  If you can't get the Market prices of popular titles remotely correct, why bother?  Or has the guide become more of a Dealer Buy Price  the way the Kelley Blue Book is the wholesale for automobiles?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I have not bought a price guide in years. 1.  I cant read the thing even with dollar store glasses. 2. After the new guide is out my long box is filled with old copy's 3. I never get anything i wont at guide price :ohnoez:

Can someone tell me what Action 7 in 2.0 is in the guide (thumbsu

If you thought the prices were off in the current guide, just wait until the next one. This year has probably seen the craziest up swing in prices in all the years I’ve been collecting. 

Prices are so volitile that I doubt anyone can predict what any key or decent book will bring even in the next month. 

So volitile that I can no longer price or predict most books to sell any. As a buyer, I have no gauge to value so it just comes down to how bad I want it. And so am finding that I just don’t want many books that bad anymore. 

So when the next guide comes out, we might want to give Overstreet a break...

3 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

As the new guide is getting ready to come out, I thought I’d bump this thread with my latest shock: this brought 22 TIMES GUIDE in last nights Heritage weekly!!!

30ED1635-A357-4F5B-95DE-A6868FCF2313.png

Oh wow.........................does this mean that the Western genre in comic books might finally be coming back into vogue after a multi-long decades banishment to the bottom of the comic book valuation dumpster?  :taptaptap:   :taptaptap:  :tonofbricks:

Or is it beause of that Baker drawn Western femme fatale shooting at the bad boys that's drawing in all of the big dollars?  :luhv:

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Oh wow.........................does this mean that the Western genre in comic books might finally be coming back into vogue after a multi-long decades banishment to the bottom of the comic book valuation dumpster?  :taptaptap:   :taptaptap:  :tonofbricks:

Or is it beause of that Baker drawn Western femme fatale shooting at the bad boys that's drawing in all of the big dollars?  :luhv:

I don't collect Westerns, per se, but that's a top ten Baker cover for me. 

With the 51st Overstreet just about to drop, I can't help but wonder which books will show movement, and which won't.  I would expect, as I do every year, to see price jumps in Romance, GGA,  precode horror, and Schomburg war cover books, generally.  Specifically, I think we will see upward adjustments in Batman 1, Mask 1 and 2, Cap 3(finally). 

Silver age, I don't even know.  But anything Xmen has gone up.  I don't get over to that end of the Boards as much as I should.

Anybody else have any predictions on which books Bob Overstreet tinkers with?

On 7/24/2021 at 9:00 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Cap 3(finally)

Seriously, do you really think so?  hm

Although I fully understand Overstreet's rationale for being super conservative in terms of his pricing, I still expect the books to be valued "accordingly" from a relative valuation point of view.  As such, it's been pretty much a given that Cap 3 has clearly been way ahead of Cap 2 in the marketplace for the past decade and yet he still has Cap 2 in there with a higher valuation year after year.  :facepalm:  :screwy:

So, since this is the year that I finally don't expect him to correct this obvious oversight on his part, especially since prices seems to have soften a bit on Cap 3, I guess he just might pick this year to do it then.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  lol