• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

50th annual Overstreet - What does he get right? What does he get wrong?
3 3

183 posts in this topic

Well, I’ve started looking thru the 51st. There’s many that hold the opinion that there are more current sources of price info than Overstreet, and I don’t disagree. But at the same time, I still believe current actual pricing is a multiple of Guide, and if the Guide goes up, so ultimately do the prices.

that said, the guide prices I’m most interested in moved upwards, but at a glacially slow pace. 

not done looking. Anyone else notice anything interesting?

and, oh hey, our very own @Primetimewrote a nice piece.  Do we have any other contributing boardies?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 7/30/2021 at 3:58 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Well, I’ve started looking thru the 51st. There’s many that hold the opinion that there are more current sources of price info than Overstreet, and I don’t disagree. But at the same time, I still believe current actual pricing is a multiple of Guide, and if the Guide goes up, so ultimately do the prices.

that said, the guide prices I’m most interested in moved upwards, but at a glacially slow pace. 

not done looking. Anyone else notice anything interesting?

and, oh hey, our very own @Primetimewrote a nice piece.  Do we have any other contributing boardies?

:hi:

Any chance you can post the Top 100 GA list so we can get a sense of the changes?

On 7/31/2021 at 6:10 AM, Chicago Boy said:

How is AA 16 still #4 ?  Bob sure does give a lot of love to that book.  I understood it about 7 years ago when the census numbers were comparably low but not anymore

That’s the first thing I notice. All American 16 worth more than Cap 1, Marvel 1 and tied with Batman 1? Not in my world!

The second thing I noticed was that only 7 out of the top 100 books had growth at or above 10%! Not in this world!

On 7/31/2021 at 9:12 AM, szav said:

they're averaging about a 3% gain...not quite enough to keep up with inflation over the last year, let alone actual comic value gains.

I know its basically a running joke and a dead horse, but come on...

How Aegis Comics (2 shops in Alaska) uses cell phone apps and/or Overstreet to grade and price back issues. Commentary near the end of the video on 'dead beat' comic shop owners re-pricing back issues at the till with current eBay ask prices.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:05 PM, aardvark88 said:

How Aegis Comics (2 shops in Alaska) uses cell phone apps and/or Overstreet to grade and price back issues. Commentary near the end of the video on 'dead beat' comic shop owners re-pricing back issues at the till with current eBay ask prices.

Interesting video aimed at the collector who tries to make deals at their LCS(spoiler alert: don’t use Overstreet)

On 7/24/2021 at 10:57 AM, lou_fine said:
On 7/24/2021 at 9:00 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Cap 3(finally)

Seriously, do you really think so?  hm

I just took a look at the gap between Cap 2 and the much more in demand Cap 3, and it looks like Overstreet actually increased the gap here, with the top of guide prices for Cap 2 coming in at $70K and the Cap 3 coming in at only $65K.  :screwy:

On 7/24/2021 at 12:37 PM, szav said:

Looking forward to the upcoming "51st annual Overstreet - What does he get wrong? What does he get really wrong?" thread.

Well, here's one for you that I noticed almost right off the bat.  :gossip:

Although we can definitely question a lot of the prices he has in there, especially for the in-demand key books, at least he very rarely ever makes a typo or mathematical caluculation error in his guide.  Yet, if you take a look at his valuation for Wonderworld Comics 3, it has gone up by almost 9% in all of the listed condition grades excpet for his top of guide listing which actually went down from $23K in last year's guide toonly $21,125 in this year's guide.  doh!

The only problem with Overstreet making an error of this kind, is that unless somebody notifies him about it, the error often tends to carry forward in future guides and compound since he assumes that everything is correct in the guide.  :frown:

On 8/2/2021 at 12:28 PM, lou_fine said:

I just took a look at the gap between Cap 2 and the much more in demand Cap 3, and it looks like Overstreet actually increased the gap here, with the top of guide prices for Cap 2 coming in at $70K and the Cap 3 coming in at only $65K.  :screwy:

Cap 3 contains the first appearance of the most important guy in the Marvel universe, Stan Lee, so whether Overstreet agrees or not, it will continue to be a grail book.

On 7/26/2021 at 10:38 AM, Ryan. said:

I absolutely love Overstreet and those that price according his  guide...when I'm buying. 

I remember when I first started collecting way back in the day and I used to dream that I could one day sell my books for the prices listed in there. :wishluck:

Now, I look at the price guide and simply just wish that I could buy books for the vlauations that's listed in there.  :bigsmile:

You are most definitely correct when you say at a "glacially slow pace", but then every now and then a small piece can break off and get caught up in the speeding currents of the rushing river.  :preach:

Case in point here, being Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol 2 #2, whereby it appears he jacked up the top of guide for this book from a mere $4,300 in last year's guide to an rather astounding (for him at least lol) $8,000 in this year's edition of the guide, while all other issues in the run went up their customary $100 in top of guide.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I guess he must have finally factored in the sale of this copy of the book here that took place at CC back in the spring of 2019:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/810169

ama2.215a.jpg

Since it sold for $13,200 back then, I guess this convinced him to finally make the big move and bump up his valuation in VF 8.0 condition guide from a mere $831 all the way up to $1,296 or to only 9.8% of what it actually sold for back then.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  lol

On 7/31/2021 at 4:10 AM, Chicago Boy said:

How is AA 16 still #4 ?  Bob sure does give a lot of love to that book.  I understood it about 7 years ago when the census numbers were comparably low but not anymore

On 7/31/2021 at 7:34 AM, Timely said:

That’s the first thing I notice. All American 16 worth more than Cap 1, Marvel 1 and tied with Batman 1? Not in my world!

Totally agree with both of you about AA 16, and rather surprising since he had actually knocked it down into the #5 spot behind Bat 1 a couple years ago. (:

On 7/31/2021 at 7:34 AM, Timely said:

The second thing I noticed was that only 7 out of the top 100 books had growth at or above 10%! Not in this world!

On 7/31/2021 at 9:12 AM, szav said:

looking at that 2nd page for the top 41-100, they're averaging about a 3% gain...not quite enough to keep up with inflation over the last year, let alone actual comic value gains.

Yeah, looks like this current Gold Rush hasn't really been taken into account in the Overstreet, unlike the first big Gold Rush back in the mid-90's after the crash of the new book market, whereby he had increased prices on average by a very un-Overstreet like high 20%'s and mid 30%'s in his Top 100 charts for a couple of years back then.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

On 8/2/2021 at 11:13 AM, vheflin said:

Is the publisher open to legal action for printing such absurdly inaccurate numbers?

Well, can we really truly complain that much when he's gone across all of the comic book ages and did do more than a double for both TMNT 1 and GSXM 1, and almost a full double on the Silver Surfer 1, let alone the one on the Amazing Mystery Funnies V2#2 as already noted in one of my previous posts up above.  :whatthe:

Why, these types of increases alone might have been enough to give the poor guy a coronary at his age.  lol

Edited by lou_fine