• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EVIL DEAD 4: RISE movie (TBD)
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Agree, not much of an Evil Dead vibe, BUT as long as it's a solid horror movie, I can deal with that. Definitely teased some very squirmy, uncomfortable moments. I don't get "scared" at horror movies anymore, but some mutilation scenes can still make me squirm in my seat. Looks like it's going to bring the intensity.

On 1/5/2023 at 3:10 PM, october said:

Judging by the trailer, a fan of the originals is going to be very disappointed hoping for more of the same. Doesn't seem to share the same sensibilities, humor, etc with the first three films...and if you don't have that, why call it Evil Dead?

Funny in that it seems like most people are fans of the franchise because of the mix of humor and horror in the 2nd and 3rd films.  I LOVED the original film since I first saw it when I was around 10 i guess(?), and I know the movie verbatim.  I went to see the second film in the theatre and I remember not really liking it as I wasn't a fan of the mix.  If the humor will e oned down and focused on the horror and gore, I'll be pleased a bit at least ;)

On 1/6/2023 at 7:18 AM, davidpg said:

Funny in that it seems like most people are fans of the franchise because of the mix of humor and horror in the 2nd and 3rd films.  I LOVED the original film since I first saw it when I was around 10 i guess(?), and I know the movie verbatim.  I went to see the second film in the theatre and I remember not really liking it as I wasn't a fan of the mix.  If the humor will e oned down and focused on the horror and gore, I'll be pleased a bit at least ;)

Yeah, that's fair. The original didn't have the same level of slapstick silliness and it was successful. I guess when I think of an Evil Dead "fan" I assume they like the series primarily because of 2 and AoD.

On 1/5/2023 at 12:10 PM, october said:

Judging by the trailer, a fan of the originals is going to be very disappointed hoping for more of the same. Doesn't seem to share the same sensibilities, humor, etc with the first three films...and if you don't have that, why call it Evil Dead?

$$$

Writing and directing a sequel to a beloved horror franchise is no cakewalk, despite how easy Lee Cronin makes it look with Evil Dead Rise. His continuation of the iconic series about Deadites and boomsticks is as vicious as Fede Alvarez's stupendously malevolent 2013 remake/sequel, opens the door for future entries to explore the lore in exciting ways, and owns its place in the series as a standalone horror bombshell. Cronin's ability to make signature Evil Dead staples his own (like the whooshy "Demon Vision" camera zooms made famous by Raimi) makes Rise its own three-headed beast. It's aggressively scary, it's sickly hilarious, and it's a stone-cold killer.

Rise finds a comfortable middle ground between 2013's rip-your-heart-out Evil Dead and Sam Raimi's more humorous trilogy of sequels. Cronin's special effects team challenges the whole series’ nastiest mutilation scenes with gnarly practical effects as swallowed glass protrudes from bodies or elevators gush waves of blood. Rise somehow keeps up with Fede Alvarez's reported 70,000 gallons of blood used in 2013's Evil Dead while keying into a more heartfelt, yet still traumatic battle against Deadites that reclaims some of Raimi's comedy chops, and uses that dark humor to contrast the darkest plunges.

Verdict
Any way you slice this sticky-gooey-bloody charge into the next chapter of Evil Dead storytelling, it's a success. Evil Dead Rise is a fantastic blend of franchise adoration, fresh storytelling, and all-out horror entertainment. Lee Cronin delivers an Evil Dead film that's disgustingly slathered in gory bits and offers the fun-loving vibes. Whatever stumbles there are while developing newer Necronomicon lore or leaning into motherhood themes barely break its momentum, as performances hold strong through thick blood eruptions and thinner moments of storytelling (which are few and far between). Rise plays the hits, takes risks that pay off, and leaves us salivating for more — everything an Evil Dead sequel should.

On 1/5/2023 at 1:10 PM, october said:

The first three films AND the Ash Vs. Evil Dead show, which was an amazing continuation of the tone of the films. The trailer looks great for a horror movie, but I'm not sure they need to tie the 'mythos' of the Evil Dead franchise to something they are trying to put across as serious horror. Just start over. I likely won't see it because it's not really Evil Dead without the comedy gore. Goremedy. Corror. Comegorror. Whatever.

I saw it last night. It wasn’t a bad entry in the series, but a bit overhyped. Had some good homages to the prior movies - especially a good eyeball popping scene. In comparison with the others, it was probably my least favorite. The pacing had something to do with that as the first act was very slow. The characters weren’t very likeable either. That said, it’s an Evil Dead movie so it’s much better than anything else out there. 4/5