• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your CGC White Pagers! WHITE PAGE Appreciation Thread!
3 3

516 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2022 at 2:12 PM, MAR1979 said:

This was a 1997 raw purchase from Harley.   What attracted me to the book were the deep rich colors and fresh snow white pages.  I had this graded as "NM-" in my personal spreadsheet so I'm not disagreeing with the grade but I own so many worse looking books in CGC 9.4 slabs and a bunch in 9.6 slabs that I figured a 9.4 was quite probable.

I generally do not submit my Silver Age books as I prefer to send in the Coppers I purchased new as child since for me they have deepest memories attached.  However due to my immense enjoyment of the Season 1 & 2 of Stargirl I decided to move this into my submit pile late last year.

The black ink on the inside front cover is so strong (deep black) even with the dark front cover it shows through. The effect is far more pronounced in the slab than it was raw. 

IMHO a Classic Murphy Anderson cover!

Showcase55.thumb.jpg.db8b79e67c0188276b7c4bbe651c3fbe.jpgShowcase55b.thumb.jpg.c796eeff22e91cbc62a59993523e1329.jpg

This is one of the best covers of the Silver Age and also what I call a “Trifecta Copy” because it has:

1) Classic cover

2) 1st SA appearance (Solomon Grundy)

3) 1st solo GA Green Lantern story

Trifecta copies are very special and among the greatest books ever.

On 5/18/2022 at 6:34 AM, bronze johnny said:

This is one of the best covers of the Silver Age and also what I call a “Trifecta Copy” because it has:

1) Classic cover

2) 1st SA appearance (Solomon Grundy)

3) 1st solo GA Green Lantern story

Trifecta copies are very special and among the greatest books ever.

What I've never understood is the first SA solo Dr Fate and first SA solo  Hour-man story is contained in this issue but unlike for Green Lantern it's never mentioned...

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/18/2022 at 7:37 AM, MAR1979 said:

What I've never understood is the first SA solo Dr Fate and first SA solo  Hour-man story is contained in this issue but unlike for Green Lantern it's never mentioned...

Perhaps they weren’t given the significance Green Lantern received because Hal had an ongoing series while Hour-man and Dr. Fate had one during the SA? Agree with you that it should be noted on the label but I don’t recommend we rely on a grading company to refer to for information on comic book history. 

Edited by bronze johnny

@MAR1979 You've got a sweet Showcase 55 there. I just picked up this copy in the past year. They both have almost exactly the same wrap and cover cut. I just love the deep purple cover and if you look at different copies, there is some variance in the tone of the purple color from issue to issue. 

1718878788_showcase55B_edited.jpg.3d71c7f7fa15c8df8c684ce3061140b3.jpg

On 8/22/2022 at 9:47 PM, Jaylam said:

@MAR1979 You've got a sweet Showcase 55 there. I just picked up this copy in the past year. They both have almost exactly the same wrap and cover cut. I just love the deep purple cover and if you look at different copies, there is some variance in the tone of the purple color from issue to issue. 

1718878788_showcase55B_edited.jpg.3d71c7f7fa15c8df8c684ce3061140b3.jpg

It is a very difficult book in 8.5 and above. The Deep Purple cover is highly condition sensitive.  Still although a mid-level key, its a non-Batman DC and interest like the CGC population is low. 

Same day in 1997 I picked up my Showcase 55 from Harley, he also had a nice FF 112 (still raw- edit; now 9.2 white), and New Gods 1 (9.6 white). I grabbed them as well.   Sometimes I do miss those end-of-raw days, before the hobby changed.  Reason is generally speaking finding a graded copy of many books now in desired condition is just a matter of clicking links and forking over the cash, IMHO no sense of accomplishment or thrill of the hunt finding one in the wild.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/17/2022 at 7:12 PM, MAR1979 said:

This was a 1997 raw purchase from Harley.   What attracted me to the book were the deep rich colors and fresh snow white pages.  I had this graded as "NM-" in my personal spreadsheet so I'm not disagreeing with the grade but I own so many worse looking books in CGC 9.4 slabs and a bunch in 9.6 slabs that I figured a 9.4 was quite probable.

I generally do not submit my Silver Age books as I prefer to send in the Coppers I purchased new as child since for me they have deepest memories attached.  However due to my immense enjoyment of the Season 1 & 2 of Stargirl I decided to move this into my submit pile late last year.

The black ink on the inside front cover is so strong (deep black) even with the dark front cover it shows through. The effect is far more pronounced in the slab than it was raw. 

IMHO a Classic Murphy Anderson cover!

Showcase55.thumb.jpg.db8b79e67c0188276b7c4bbe651c3fbe.jpgShowcase55b.thumb.jpg.c796eeff22e91cbc62a59993523e1329.jpg

Two spectacular Showcase #55 posted here. I was buying from Harley back then, too. Mostly unseen copies in those pre-scan days from his paper catalogues but never worried about that.