• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has CGC ever lost anyone's books?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I haven't heard of any such incidents lately, but surely CGC is not perfect...

If so, was it difficult to get reimbursed?  In general, how does insurance work - will CGC argue over the value if they think its too high or will they just reimburse you with what you declare, no questions asked?  

I'm curious as to books lost while in CGC's possession, but I'm sure books have also been lost due to shipping to and from them as well.

thanks,

brian

Yes, they do lose books, that is what the declared value is all about. It's exactly or that and nothing else. So say, you send in an amazing spider-man 300 and select the modern tier stating that you think its worth 200$, then if they lose it they give you 200$. So people should not undervalue their books because that is what CGC uses to pay you back. I havent heard of cases where they argue the book's worth compared to what you state. And writing a really obscene price just makes your book go through the walkthrough tier so there are far less chances of it being lost.

Edited by William-James88

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Yes, they do lose books, that is what the declared value is all about. It's exactly or that and nothing else. So say, you send in an amazing spider-man 300 and select the modern tier stating that you think its worth 200$, then if they lose it they give you 200$. So people should not undervalue their books because that is what CGC uses to pay you back. I havent heard of cases where they argue the book's worth compared to what you state. And writing a really obscene price just makes your book go through the walkthrough tier so there are far less chances of it being lost.

Thanks, I just wanted to see if anyone had any experiences they could share.  I always wondered what the walkthrough tier was, but it makes sense now for those really valuable books. I assume that those books won't leave the sight of any CGC employee / surveillance system at any time, as the stated turnaround time is only a day.

Yes, I only recently joined these boards and found the discussions to be very informative with a lot of wide-ranging opinions, some of which are critical of CGC. 

So, while I understand that some folks may leave due to issues with them, I hope that CGC has been able to address and resolve most issues to everyone's satisfaction. 

On 10/4/2020 at 3:34 PM, podochigae said:

I haven't heard of any such incidents lately, but surely CGC is not perfect...

If so, was it difficult to get reimbursed?  In general, how does insurance work - will CGC argue over the value if they think its too high or will they just reimburse you with what you declare, no questions asked?  

I'm curious as to books lost while in CGC's possession, but I'm sure books have also been lost due to shipping to and from them as well.

thanks,

brian

Brian, 

Yes, they do lose books. I submitted in May a 98 New Mutants comic and was submitted properly. What I thought was going to be pressed, then restored with any problems they see, ended up taking 4 months and what I got back was the facsimile version. That's not what I had. I purchased my book in a newstand in a small town in PA 25+ years ago. Excited to see a grading company did this sort of thing I submitted a couple books to try it out before I sent in my holy grail. As for the value, that didn't happen either. I valued the book at $480 and what they offered was $250. I can't find this comic for the price. Good news though!!! They did let me keep the facsimile, which to me is worthless. Take photos!!! I regret not taking any. Once I seen my book was put in their system I didn't think I had to worry. 

15 hours ago, Eric Schoemer said:

Brian, 

Yes, they do lose books. I submitted in May a 98 New Mutants comic and was submitted properly. What I thought was going to be pressed, then restored with any problems they see, ended up taking 4 months and what I got back was the facsimile version. That's not what I had. I purchased my book in a newstand in a small town in PA 25+ years ago. Excited to see a grading company did this sort of thing I submitted a couple books to try it out before I sent in my holy grail. As for the value, that didn't happen either. I valued the book at $480 and what they offered was $250. I can't find this comic for the price. Good news though!!! They did let me keep the facsimile, which to me is worthless. Take photos!!! I regret not taking any. Once I seen my book was put in their system I didn't think I had to worry. 

Thanks for sharing your experience, however bad it was - this is helpful.  What do you mean by facsimile version?  Was it a different copy of a New Mutants 98 (maybe a direct version vs. newstand edition), and was it in similar condition to your submitted book?  If so, why do you say it is worthless?  I am assuming that your experience with CGC wasn't that bad as you are still here on the boards.  Hope that you at least broke even financially.

Really appreciate your story, though.  

20 hours ago, Eric Schoemer said:

Brian, 

Pics? I am skeptical at this post

On 10/6/2020 at 6:16 PM, Eric Schoemer said:

Brian, 

Just to understand better, you wanted them to restore a new mutants 98?

I'm still waiting for my second copy of Young Men #24 to show up. I submitted two, with one supposed to go to pressing before grading. It's been just over four months since I submitted it (3/14/23) and it still shows "Scheduled for Grading" (submission # 4220035). The last response from CGC is that I must have submitted the same comic twice on my packing slip? In other words, they didn't lose it because it never existed. I'm not disgruntled. I'm just seriously afraid to submit anything else and I was just getting started with submitting my collection. 

UPDATE 7/25/2023: I just received an email from CGC that they will "be in touch with me shortly about starting a claim on this book, as this should have been long since out the door." So I'm happy and feel ready to submit some more comics. I guess I shouldn't have been so worried about it, since CGC does have a good reputation. All is well. :)

Edited by cannal

On 7/22/2023 at 4:27 PM, cannal said:

I'm still waiting for my second copy of Young Men #24 to show up. I submitted two, with one supposed to go to pressing before grading. It's been just over four months since I submitted it (3/14/23) and it still shows "Scheduled for Grading" (submission # 4220035). The last response from CGC is that I must have submitted the same comic twice on my packing slip? In other words, they didn't lose it because it never existed. I'm not disgruntled. I'm just seriously afraid to submit anything else and I was just getting started with submitting my collection. 

UPDATE 7/25/2023: I just received an email from CGC that they will "be in touch with me shortly about starting a claim on this book, as this should have been long since out the door." So I'm happy and feel ready to submit some more comics. I guess I shouldn't have been so worried about it, since CGC does have a good reputation. All is well. :)

UPDATE 09/10/2023: Sorry to say, but it's been over six weeks since I posted the "good news" above, and this hasn't moved forward at all. This is really terrible service. They reply after I send them several emails, with the same "be in touch soon" type response...and then nothing.

On 9/10/2023 at 11:37 AM, cannal said:
On 7/22/2023 at 4:27 PM, cannal said:

UPDATE 09/10/2023: Sorry to say, but it's been over six weeks since I posted the "good news" above, and this hasn't moved forward at all. This is really terrible service. They reply after I send them several emails, with the same "be in touch soon" type response...and then nothing.

Which direction do you think CGC wants you to turn?

gu.jpg

CGC has definitely lost books. I know they’ve paid the claimed value before when it has happened. I also know in the rare case where they lost a book that is “easier to find” they have reached out to others to facilitate purchasing their book to replace one they lost. In other words, they know their authorized dealers and have reached out to say “hey we graded this book you sent in, if it’s for sale we will buy it from you” and the intent was to buy and send to someone who sent in the same book in a similar grade but it was lost. This was a while back I heard this scenario come up, not sure if it does too  often 

Edited by comicginger1789