• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage pulp auctions
8 8

246 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2024 at 9:13 PM, Point Five said:

Nice! Don't forget to send this back to CGC to get the "CLASSIC MONKEY COVER" label note.  :gossip:

The monkey LIVE here ******, you just visitin'! ... Richard Pryor

GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The 7.5 W "Bat Woman" October 1933 Weird Tales went for $30,000, exactly the same price that the 7.0 W copy went for in April this year.    

Has the shine already come off slabbed pulps?  Among the slabbed pulps I was following, with the exception of the 9.0 C-OW May 1934 Weird Tales that went for $11,400, I thought prices in the Signature Auction were not very strong, particularly considering how high the grades on some of the books were.  The 8.5 OW-W September 1933 Weird Tales, at $4,080, was particularly disappointing given the high grade, Brundage nude/bondage/whipping cover and bright red color. 

Are the high grades we're seeing from CGC actually causing potential bidders to pause, as they suddenly realize that pulps in 7.0 and above might be more common than expected, and they don't want to be caught out like early CGC buyers who paid up for 9.4 BA comics only to learn that CGC was going to assign a 9.4 or higher grade to a LOT of  BA books?

On 6/23/2024 at 7:25 AM, tth2 said:

The 7.5 W "Bat Woman" October 1933 Weird Tales went for $30,000, exactly the same price that the 7.0 W copy went for in April this year.    

Has the shine already come off slabbed pulps?  Among the slabbed pulps I was following, with the exception of the 9.0 C-OW May 1934 Weird Tales that went for $11,400, I thought prices in the Signature Auction were not very strong, particularly considering how high the grades on some of the books were.  The 8.5 OW-W September 1933 Weird Tales, at $4,080, was particularly disappointing given the high grade, Brundage nude/bondage/whipping cover and bright red color. 

Are the high grades we're seeing from CGC actually causing potential bidders to pause, as they suddenly realize that pulps in 7.0 and above might be more common than expected, and they don't want to be caught out like early CGC buyers who paid up for 9.4 BA comics only to learn that CGC was going to assign a 9.4 or higher grade to a LOT of  BA books?

You might have a point there. Very high grade pulps have always been unicorns. Lots of 7.0-8.0 slabbed pulps floating around.

I think grading has also produced high price fever. Not a good thing. Prices should rise gradually not over night. Look at what Covid pricing has done to comics.

I was talking to a couple of guys at Pulpalooza who were new pulp collectors. They thought they were getting on the “ground floor” but were shocked at prices. Really turned them off. Worked out well for me because I had a lot of ungraded pulps at decent prices. Most of the big dollar, high grade ones went home with their owners. 

On 6/23/2024 at 10:25 AM, tth2 said:

Has the shine already come off slabbed pulps? 

This is what I have always believed about collectibles markets. It's not so much percentages and the dollar figures, but more about what I call "glass ceilings." They represent economic castes, and a 30K tag occupies a rarified ceiling. Most who are interested, are stopped at the door, so to speak. No matter how hot something gets, The ceilings rarely change ... at price points like the 30K figure, the criteria begins to be more of a question of "is it a key date, despite it's appealing design? Can I recover my money if the need arises?". That becomes more of a concern rather than "Should I keep paying more? Is it THAT cool?" One thinks that pulps were already at a premium before the recent uptick. Sure, many have MUCH more growing room. Despite how many of us feel comfortable with meteoric rises, this is a hobby that has been around and thriving, albeit quietly, for over a Century. Sudden and sustained eruptions are the exception rather than the rule. The comic market (and Pulp ...) market has most closely paralleled the card and coin market, in my opinion. Studying the history of prices realized in those markets will shed much light on these others. Bearing in mind that the amount of disposable income the average collector enjoys, has never been ideal for the majority of them. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12