• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage pulp auctions
8 8

233 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2024 at 4:44 PM, johnenock said:

8.4 for the Fame and Fortune? What's the significance? Rarity? Author? 

Bookery just notated it having a cool cover, compared to the rest of the magazine's run.  The surrounding issues are 300, this one at 600.

Edited by waaaghboss

I won one tonight, hell hath frozen over.  What a blast to see the Heritage crowd in unfamiliar waters up in my world with all of these very odd non-pulp magazines. I suspect this is where all the oddballs got stuck from the Kump collection and that many wouldn't otherwise be seen at Heritage.  But, surprisingly, many of that kind of magazine did very well.  I was floored by the prices that some items in my collection fetched that I would not have suspected.  I'll cobble together a few faves and a few comments :D

On 3/14/2024 at 4:44 PM, johnenock said:

8.4 for the Fame and Fortune? What's the significance? Rarity? Author? 

Shadow precursor.  Not saying that's a particularly accurate description... I really don't know... but I do know it's been cited as such.

On 3/15/2024 at 7:11 AM, GACollectibles said:

In defense of The Black Cat, the swastika did not become what we consider negative until about 1920 when Hitler's Nazi Party adopted it as their symbol.  Prior to that it was a symbol of "A sign of good fortune, fertility, happiness, Sun, and it was given spiritual import as well as commercial value when it was used with or as a brand or logo,". I have a home that was built before 1920 and has a tile floor with this and other related (positive) symbols.

Oh, totally,  I am not smearing The Cat!  A very common symbol used in a number of cultures (and sort of a simple pattern to draw).  I believe a backwards version is on a lot of the Hersey pulps.

I even went back after I wrote that last night to check the cover to see if I was missing fiction of note - not that I could detect - I recognized Dwyer from The Popular but that's it (shrug)

On 3/15/2024 at 10:46 PM, Darwination said:

I believe a backwards version is on a lot of the Hersey pulps.

A backwards swastika is a common Buddhist symbol.  In fact, that's the correct direction, and it's the Nazi swastika that is backwards.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:14 AM, tth2 said:

A backwards swastika is a common Buddhist symbol.  In fact, that's the correct direction, and it's the Nazi swastika that is backwards.

YUP!  I first learned this by reading "Blade of the Immortal" where the title character wears a kimono with the symbol on it.  There is an explanation of this in every tpb so people don't get ticked off about it.  Great read by the way!  

Blade of the Immortal] Manji sketch I did for today's inktober. Pls watch  this show. : r/anime

On 3/15/2024 at 10:40 AM, pmpknface said:

YUP!  I first learned this by reading "Blade of the Immortal" where the title character wears a kimono with the symbol on it.  There is an explanation of this in every tpb so people don't get ticked off about it.  Great read by the way!  

Blade of the Immortal] Manji sketch I did for today's inktober. Pls watch  this show. : r/anime

*Killer* manga - the art is just next level.  Takashi Mike's film version is great, too.  Was thinking the manga was actually collaborative and studio work under the single pen name, but that's not what I'm seeing at the wiki.

The CGC 7.0 W October 1933 ("Batgirl") Weird Tales went for $30k.  It'd been sitting at $25k pretty much since the first few days of online bidding, so not much movement during the floor auction. 

A helpful pricing benchmark for one of the first CGC copies of one of the hobby's most iconic books.  

I didn't watch today (am away from the batcave).  Are people seeing a CGC bump as far as books in the box fetching more?  I believe it's the first auction that's featured a decent number of graded books.